Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Restore elk in missouri

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default Restore elk in missouri

The Department of Conservation is reintroducing a herd of Rocky Mountain Elk in the Ozarks. Is that a good thing. Road kill,Spread of chronic wasting disease;is fatal for deer. The proposal calls for a release in early 2011 of 80 to 150 cow and bull elk into a 360-square-mile zone around the Peck Ranch Conservation Area. 500 pounds of BULL ELK on the Road with cars and trucks. CRAZZZY. 30-06 BIG GAME TIME

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Sure its a good idea, that way we wont have so many of you "flatlanders" hunting them here. I see no reason not to reintroduce any natural "game" animal to its original home. Here in Colorado our fish and game department has done a fine job of reintroducing many species, however it is beyond me why they dont reintroduce a wild herd of buffalo. As far a car versus elk all I can say is it happens alot around here. I got my first elk with a 30-06, my daughter got here first elk with a 1984 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My first elk cost me @29 cents my daughters cost @$5,000.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

They have been doing that here in Ky. for years. I still don't see them out in the wild but it's a matter of time Reintroducing any animal back into a place they used to be I can't see as a bad thing.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Drum we here in VA covet hunting down in the south western tip of VA because if we have a deer tag and a KY or TN elk walks on to VA territory we can nail them and use our deer tag that is sweet.

Reintroduce elk hell ya I would love to hunt elk in VA.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I was a kid growing up in Missouri during the 50's & 60's there wasn't even a deer hunting season because so many had been killed during the great depression by people just trying to put some meat on the table.

Now the deer herds there are out of control and they are like a plague of rodents on homeowners and drivers, especially in the cities where hunting isn't allowed. Our daughter's new expensive landscaping was consumed by the deer as a delicious dinner salad. My 80-something Dad ran into a deer with his car just trying to drive to the grocery store. I heard that one community in the Kansas City area had professional hunters with silencers on their rifles hunting the excess deer population at night trying to control the problem.

If the Missouri Conservation Department handles Elk herds like they did the deer, I'd say there going to be big problems. By the way, they've let the otter and beavers get out of control there too. Maybe they should re-introduce some natural predators like mountain lions, bears and wolves to take care of the over-population issues. Wouldn't that be fun!

Last edited by Snakedriver; 09-10-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #6

Default 189 elk to start

They just voted-189-elk to be reintroduced to missouri in february. No sign when hunting will start,not for year's I would guess? But they are voted in. As the three stooges would say, AHUNTING WE WILLGO!!! sorry just watched the stooges on dvd.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #7

Missouri just released 34 elk,plus five new calves on June 1st...From their 3 acre holding site....They have been fitted with radio collars as part of a research project.....Elk are back in Missouri after more then a century.....No hunting for six years atleast....More will be released in the coming weeks......

Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #8

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm totally excited they're releasing them back into the wild in MO! It gives me an excuse to save up for a FAL

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man