Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Remington Model 722 handload info (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/remington-model-722-handload-info-58913/)

Yamahog12 02-27-2012 04:26 PM

Remington Model 722 handload info

I have inherited this rifle from my Dad. It is chambered for .257 Roberts caliber and I want to start doing reloading (or handloading) using the RCBS kit I bought. For coyote hunting, I have read that an 87 grain hollow point bullet is a good choice.

I'm wondering if anyone out there who might own this model rifle can offer up handloading "recipes". I mean which bullet, primer, cases and powder (and how much)? I am a beginner when it comes to bullets, reloading, etc. as I hunt deer exclusively with a bow. Also, anything I need to look out for when it comes to handloading cartridges, especially for this caliber, is appreciated. Thanks!

Catfish 02-27-2012 10:36 PM

I have an old 257 AI that I used to use on groundhog. I like the 87 gr. Sierra Spitzer bullets real well. The Sierra 75 HP will leave real big holes in groundhogs and would do the same for coyotes. What to load really depends on the rifle. IMR 4064 is a real good powder to try. Next would be IMR 3031. Then any other powder near these on the burn rate chart. I would also recomand you use standard primers and not mag. primers. For load data on line go to www.hodgon.com, www.ramshot.com,www.accuratepowder.com

cottontop 02-27-2012 11:09 PM

I have a Remington model 722 in .244 Remington. It is based on the .257 case. The rifle is a very good one, though not real pretty. Mine is very accurate w/ handloads. I would suggest that you acquire several reloading manuals published by any of the powder and/or bullet manufactures. Follow their load recipes and approach maximum loads carefully. If you are after coyotes for their fur, any hollow point bullet would tear it up too much. A SP or even a FMJ may be better. If not for fur, the HP would be ideal.
cottontop

c3shooter 02-28-2012 12:02 AM

Link to some info on the .257, including a link to the Hogdon load data.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.257roberts.html

About 100 different loads for the .257

Yamahog12 02-28-2012 12:15 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies. Yeah, if I'm gonna shoot the yotes, I plan on skinning them too. So maybe HPs are out of the question. Besides, if a fox comes in I will also shoot him. Again, I would want the pelt.

I did go calling last Sunday morning and had a yote way out there but he wouldn't come in close. I was carrying a .22 mag so I needed him to be w/in 100 yds or so. He sat out there about 250 yds!

When it warms up I really plan to try out different loads with this rifle. I'm not a marksman by any stretch as I have shot rifles only sparingly. For me, even with a long range rifle 250 yds is probably too far at this point. I have a feeling this forum is the place to go to get help. Thanks, again.

Yamahog12 02-28-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 722607)
Link to some info on the .257, including a link to the Hogdon load data.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.257roberts.html

About 100 different loads for the .257

Cool Hand Luke quote in yer sig, and Strother Martin in the pic! One of my all-time favorite movies.

Yamahog12 04-22-2012 06:36 PM

I went to the local gunsmith shop. I walked out with IMR 4350 powder and 117gr Hornady SST bullets (25522). Being completely new to reloading, I went searching the net for a recipe using these bullets and the IMR 4350 powder. So far I am having no luck in finding this. I have a Speer reloading manual but the shop didn't have any Speer 257 Roberts bullets. Can someone tell me what powder charge I should use for starters (and max)? Thanks.

robocop10mm 04-22-2012 11:15 PM

Use the data for the 115 bullet. 41 gr is the starting load and 43 is max. This is for the 115 Nosler Partition. Approach max loads with caution as you are using a different bullet. Max loads are rarely the most accurate anyway. I tend to load 1-2 gr under max for most of my rifle loads and find them to be very accurate. The 41 gr load will likelly be a fine shooter.

The old Roberts is known as a mild shooting accurate cartridge. If you want to wring extra horsepower out of it, consider having it rechambered for the .257 Ackley Improved (AI). Ackley changed the shoulder on the old cartridge and was able to get about 200 fps more velocity

Sniper03 04-22-2012 11:27 PM

Yamahog,

Don't have any loading date but just to share with you! It is the belief that Remington stopped producing the little 788 Rifle that is so plain. Because they were much less expensive than the 700 models and believe it or not, they were out shooting the more expensive Remingtons! I had one in 22-250 and I wish I had it back. Phenomenal rifle. Just be cautious with the extractor not to damage it. It is made of spring steel! They are becoming hard to come by. In fact if I were you since it is your rifle and I am sure you are never planning on parting with it. I would contact Numrich Arms Gun Parts or other sources and see if they have an extra one available for your rifle as insurance. They are not expensive it is just finding one.
Nice Rifle!

Yamahog12 04-23-2012 02:23 PM

Sniper- I assume you intended to say the "722 rifle", rather than "788"?