Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Remington or Browning? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/remington-browning-7644/)

jeremymk 10-13-2008 03:15 PM

Remington or Browning?

Hello all,
I need your help in making a decision. I am buying a new rifle in .270 caliber. I have narrowed my choices down to the new Browning X-bolt hunter, or a new Remington 700 BDL DM which is new but was discontinued in 2004.

I have had both in hand, the bonus to the Remington is the open sights whereas the browning is only set up for a scope mount. I hunt in the northern woods, and in the farm fields. If anyong has any advice for me before I buy, please chime in now as I am up in the air.

Thanks, Jeremy

stick_man 10-13-2008 03:28 PM

Either one should work well for you. It is a matter of personal preference. I have not yet seen the X-bolt, but have been pretty impressed with the quality of the Browning firearms I have owned. My preference would be the Browning.

I don't shoot bolts much because I am a leftie and don't like the left-handed bolt guns. I have a Browning BLR that I love (except for the hi-gloss finish on the stock), a BL-22, and a BPS. All three shoot as well as anything off the shelf that I have come across and have been of exceptional quality.

If you plan to shoot open sites, the advantage mentioned about the Remmy is something to take into consideration. I am not sure if the X-bolt comes drilled for sites or not.

Good luck with your decision.

robocop10mm 10-13-2008 03:37 PM

Ford, Chevy...whatever suits your taste. Either will work well. Maybe more "stuff" available for the Remmy. Not familiar with the X-bolt but I had an A-bolt that was schweeeet! I have a 700ADL ini .25-06 that has been flawless for 28 years.

hillbilly68 10-14-2008 12:56 AM

JD is a HUGE Remington fan, might want to ask him;) Seriously, whatever you like better, wont go wrong with either IMO. Or both! Good luck with the choice.
regards

cpttango30 10-14-2008 01:14 AM

I am a die hard red blooded Remington fan. But always thought the Browning wins in the looks contest.

Both are proven reliable firearms that will last 5 or 6 lifetimes if cared for.

Browning has an advantage to be with the 60* bolt lift and 3 locking lugs. If two is good three is better.

fin24000 10-14-2008 02:48 AM

I have a Remington 700 BDL DM 30-06 and I love it.... the remington would be my pick but thats just me....

rcarr 10-15-2008 12:08 AM

browning

I have a Remington 30-06 and a Browning A bolt 270. I will take the Browning anyday. Just my 2 cents.

freefall 10-15-2008 09:46 PM

I have a Remington 30-06 that's fiercely accurate. I don't like its funky little extractor. I bet my life on my Ruger M77 mkII .338or my 98 Mauser 35 Whelen.

cpttango30 10-22-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freefall
I have a Remington 30-06 that's fiercely accurate. I don't like its funky little extractor.

Why does everyone pick on Remingtons Extractor? How many times has your extractor failed to extract a cartridge? If it has never failed how can you not like it? I don't like the giant claw on my Model 30 and m1917. I think it is over kill for extracting a cartride.

Dillinger 10-22-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 45141)
JD is a HUGE Remington fan, might want to ask him;)

That's not true hillbilly.... LOL :p

Truthfully, both are good enough platforms for minute of deer. If you are only after a good hunting rifle that will see 20 or 30 rounds a year between practice and the actual hunt, I don't think you can go wrong with either product.

The Remington is going to give you a huge aftermarket of parts if that is your thing.

The Browning, I feel, is a better looking rifle - but that doesn't mean it's going to shoot any better. :rolleyes:

Now if your intent is to buy it for the action and build a custom rifle on that action... my choice would be NEITHER. :D

JD