Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Rehwild (Roe Deer)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

This was a drive hunt. The drivers are volunteers that get a free dinner and drinks at the end of day. The hunters donate 10 to 20 euros for the dinner. There are no trackers except for the dogs. We also have solo hunts (normally) or go out with a buddy hunter or two. I pay a much smaller fee for the meat compared to a non-hunter. I do keep the organs and the trophy for free (Roe and Boar). But, you are correct, it is a good business for revier owners. I want to have a hunting lease when I retire. I can hunt all I want and make money at the same time.Sometimes I sell some of my wild game meat when I am looking for some extra cash. I charge normal market prices. The hunts are quite safe, but we are so embedded in the hunting culture that safety and logistics comes very easy to us. We drink, sing and tell stories during the dinner at the end of the day.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 444 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Sounds like an excellent set up,, do you own land or can it be leased like Federal land in some areas of the U.S. I reckon it may take a large investment to get started, I wish you well in your ambitions and good luck.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You can pay for hunting rights on Federal or private land. Most hunters do this as a group. You are paying for hunting rights, not ownership of land. Or, you can buy a hunting revier, but the revier are quite large in accordance to the law. So, you normally inherit the land, or you are rich. I will go with option one, but you are also responsible for the hunting upkeep and you must harvest a certain amount of game a year. So, normally retired peole take on responstiblity of the head leasee/hunter.

Last edited by Jagermeister; 07-01-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #14

Liked 2351 Times on 1529 Posts

Interesting to say the least. How is the deer meat? I'm from northwest Ohio, where the deer have a wide variety of food to consume. This includes corn, soybeans, and wheat, which makes the meat mild (for wild game) and tender. The land is nearly all flat.

The deer in southeast Ohio don't get much for for tilled food, and spend their time running up and down the small mountains. Their meat is more gamey and tough, and they don't grow quite as big.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

All the various deer species (Roe, Fallow, Red are the main ones in my area) eat mainly grass and the the tips of the pines. They do damage a lot of trees, and we need to keep population down to insure the health of the forests. The Roe deer tastes the best and is considered the most important game in Europe. They tastes like a gamey beef. It is a little tougher here too. We live in the hills and low mountains.