recurve or long bow - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

recurve or long bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

just had an after thought, I don't know if your a beginner but if you are here's a good forum you can go to get info

ArcheryAddix Forums • Addix Portal

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #12

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
well all depends on what you want to do with it, like target shooting both are good some longbows can have a pretty heavy pull, if you get your hands on a tradition style english longbow some of them can have a 100 pound pull on them, if you get one made by bear or someone along those lines there not that bad. But I like the recurve better because if you do do any hunting with it it's easier to use in brush.

If your newer to archery I would get a break down recurve, there basiclly a compound but instead of cams and all that they have recurve limbs, you can put sights and all that jazz as you could with a regular compound.

The bad part of a breakdown recurve are the stress points. Because of the design, they put much more pressure on the limbs. It really has nothing in common w/ a compound as there is no let off. If your bow is 65lb at 28", you feel the full 65#. The let off of a compound would reduce that to 25# or less.
Either a Longbow or recurve are instinctive shooters. A compound w/ sights is not.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
The [English] longbow is the weapon of myth and legend. It is the weapon of Robin Hood and Agincourt.
Not so much myth and legend, the English Longbow and the Archers that
wielded them were fearsome on the Battlefield; you have to keep in mind
that they were cutting edge tech for the time.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6792 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Not so much myth and legend, the English Longbow and the Archers that
wielded them were fearsome on the Battlefield; you have to keep in mind
that they were cutting edge tech for the time.
the english longbow had a average draw weight of 100#... often more. they were short squat and immensely strong people back then. the longbow was the equivelent of a fully aut0 m16 today.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1592 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 1730

Here is a Long Bow.
1-14th-tomahawk-fury-ah-64d-apache-longbows.jpg  

Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #16

I have shot both for many years and prefer a longbow. Today modern longbow is just as effective as a recurve. The speed is not much different than a recurve, if that is what you are after you need a compound. Practice is what will make the difference not speed.

Dave

Old 10-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowers311 View Post
I have shot both for many years and prefer a longbow. Today modern longbow is just as effective as a recurve. The speed is not much different than a recurve, if that is what you are after you need a compound. Practice is what will make the difference not speed.

Dave
One issue that is over looked is a compound tends to use lighter shafts and broadheads. I use to shoot against the traditional NH state champ. He used a Howard Hill longbow. My bow at 65# and his at 62#. We both shot heavy shafts and broadheads. He beat me one year by one yard. I shot 4" right at 68 yards, he shot 4" low at 69. That was very intense. We would shoot together every week after that. Your not making that shot w/ a compound.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #18

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

One issue that is over looked is a compound tends to use lighter shafts and broadheads. I use to shoot against the traditional NH state champ. He used a Howard Hill longbow. My bow at 65# and his at 62#. We both shot heavy shafts and broadheads. He beat me one year by one yard. I shot 4" right at 68 yards, he shot 4" low at 69. That was very intense. We would shoot together every week after that. Your not making that shot w/ a compound.
Apparently you havent shot a competition bow bc the people that shoot in the olympics shoot 80-100 yards religously. I practice with my hoyt ultratec at 75 all the time and thats shooting 250 grain arrows with 100 grain muzzy mx-4 broadheads

Old 11-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Apparently you havent shot a competition bow bc the people that shoot in the olympics shoot 80-100 yards religously. I practice with my hoyt ultratec at 75 all the time and thats shooting 250 grain arrows with 100 grain muzzy mx-4 broadheads
You are correct, I stated my knowledge is recurves and some longbow. My light broadheads are 125gr, so I use a pretty heavy shaft. My Heavy broadheads are 145gr. even a heavier shaft.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #20

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was focusing on the last sentence. And i have a bear recurv that i shoot sometimes also but i dnt shoot it often bc it was my grandpas and its not in very good shape