Recipes - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well. I don't know about anyone else, but I am printing these out and putting them in a 3 ring binder to go in the safe.

In the event of SHTF, I am going to have a 4 star firepit with a 360 degree view and a heavy stack of dead Zombies as door guards.

Great work guys - keep them coming for us poor city boys.

JD

Old 09-01-2009, 01:58 AM   #12

Some grillin' recipes to follow.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 09-01-2009, 02:34 AM   #13

Default catalina butterfly steaks.

1 bottle catalina salad dressing
1 clove of garlic
1 tbl spoon of onion powder
six butterfly steaks

slice garlic as thin as you can possibly get it, like in good fellas.
combine all the ingredients in ziplock bags, and place in the fridge for 5 hours.
grill over low heat, brushing the dressing on as they cook.

serve with redskin mashed potatoes, and grilled sweet corn. on yeah, an a nice cold coors!

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #14

Leftover Roast Recipe #1

Stuffed Green Peppers

4 med green peppers, halved and cleaned out
2 cups cooked rice (I'm picky about rice and I can't stand minute rice, brown med grain rice is great or white rice if you must but only the real stuff )
1 sweet onion fine diced (yellow or red onions are sweet)
1-2 cups leftover shredded roast (you can also use cooked pork/beef/chicken/random wild game)
1 cup fresh diced spinach

now I pick one of 3 spice mixes
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sprigs fresh chopped parsley (dried if you must)
2 sprigs fresh chopped basil (dried if you must)
1 clove of crushed garlic
*shredded motz cheese
*1 can tomato sauce

1 teaspoon ground dried chili peppers
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sprigs fresh chopped cilantro
1 clove of crushed garlic
*shredded sharp cheddar
*1 can of tomato sauce with chilis

OR you could use some premaid taco seasoning mix

Preheat your oven to 375 and find a 9x13 glass baking dish (some women have special pans and dishes for special purposes so make sure your not using your wife's cake pan...trust me) set the halves of green peppers in the pan cut side up. Mix together all the indredients and the spice mix of your choice. Stuff the pepper halves with the rice/meat/spice mix. Poor can of tomato sauce over the top of each stuffed pepper. then sprinkle the shredded cheese on top. Cover loosely with tin foil and bake for 35-45 minutes.

** If you want to make the whole green peppers which are prettier upon serving cut the tops off and set them aside, then scoop out the middle. Trim the bottoms of the green pepper slightly so that it sits level, but do not cut all the way into the cavity. Then fill and follow directions, set the tops in the baking dish also and cook 45 minutes. Then you can serve whole stuffed peppers, they taste the same either way, I go for easy since I usually have a few kids helping

ETA-if you double this recipe you can freeze one batch, and if you freeze it it pyrex you can freeze and cook it in the same dish. I do this with a lot of recipes.

Last edited by Jess; 09-01-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is a wonderful thread!! Thank you, jess, for a quality contribution that I'm sure to put to use in the near future. Dove season opens next week, any dove receipes?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #16

dove kabobs (or any bird for that matter)

After cleaning the meat off the bone and rinsing it in cold tap water (no hose water) cut meat into uniform pieces for doves this will probably just be the breast pieces as is. Then you're going to make a *brine* so heat 1 cup of water to boiling disolve 1/4 cup of sugar, remove from heat and combine with 7 cups ice cold water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt (iodine FREE salt) soak the meat in this mixture in a gallon ziploc bag for 30 minutes. While you are soaking the meat you will need to soak your kabob skewers if you bought the bamboo kind completely submerge them in a pan of water. This keeps them from catching fire on the grill. Or you may be super cool and have metal skewers. While doing all this make sure your grill of choice is heating up a gas grill should get to *med high* and a charcoal grill you want full hot embers, no wild flames. You want your grill grate super clean.

You need to make a sauce for your meat the choices are pretty limitless but I prefer the following

1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/3 cup soy sauce or cantonese sauce
1/4 cup light oil (I prefer canola but vegetable is fine)
whisk this together and split some off to brush on meat and some to brush on veggies. You want to keep anything *meat* for just the meat.

Now you can also chop up veggies into about 1 1/2 inch squares. Good onions to use for this are called pearl onions and you can leave them whole and skewer them from the root end. Also rutabagas, sweet pototatos, zuchini, squash, cherry tomatos, peppers. While you're at it pineapple chunks are great cooked on the grill and you can serve them with vanilla ice cream for desert.

So you have a whole counter of chopped up stuff! Start skewering, the key though is to keep all like items on one skewer. You won't have the *pretty* ones you see ready made at the store, what you will have though are skewers that all cook evenly since the like items all require the same time. You aslo want to leave a little room between each item to allow for even cooking. Brush the full skewers before placing on the grill and a few times throughout the cooking, keeping your meat and veggies seperate. Grill away!

Serve over rice or couscous.

This is a great way to stretch a small amount of game and to introduce wild game to people who haven't tried it.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #17

Default Dutch Oven Rabbits

Ok this is not a dove recipe, but I often find rabbits while hunting dove, so, why not.

two dressed rabbits cut into pieces
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 medium onion coarsly chopped
2 stalks celery coarsly chopped
6-7 smallish carrots coarsly chopped
1 cup white wine
1 cup water

Add all ingredients to a Dutch Oven or a Crock-pot, cook on low until rabbits begin to fall off the bones. Serve over long grain or wild rice, or garlic mashed potatoes.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

Pres. Ronald Reagan

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #18

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

This isn't a dove recipe, but I like it!

1 teaspoon powdered sugar
Juice from 1 lime (2 ounces)
4 mint leaves
1 sprig of mint
White Rum (2 ounces)
2 ounces club soda
Angostura bitters to taste (cuts sweetness, bitter old man recipe )

Place the mint leaves into a long mojito glass, squeeze the juice from a cut lime, add the powdered sugar, gently smash the mint into the lime juice and sugar with a muddler. Add crushed ice, rum, splash of bitters, stir, and top off with club soda. Garnish with a mint sprig.

mojito.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #19

Kick Azz Cane! Had a couple of Mojito's not long ago! Make great cool-offs after hunting dove in the early season when it's hot.

Thomas Jefferson

Pres. Ronald Reagan

Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #20

i'm going to try those this weekend I think. I know a place to get meat rabbits locally. yum