Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Recipes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/recipes-17538/)

Jess 08-31-2009 11:05 AM

Recipes

VENISON
First I would like to address the whole "i don't eat venison" nonesense some of my *cough cough* girl friends try to use to get their husbands not to hunt, or worse IMO not to keep the meat. There are a few keys to tasty eats, and they start in the field. Some of this might seem like I'm stating the obvious so bear with me.

1-appearance of animal before you shoot it
2-shot placement, if you gut shoot a deer its going to take extra work to make it taste decent
3-don't push the animal, unless you see it fall give it time to lay down and die.
4-clean your animal in the field and clean it properly. do NOT use water from a hose to wash out the cavity (you don't want to know about hose bacteria)
5-if temperature allows you want to hang your deer for a few days its really worth it.
6-when we process our deer, which we do at home, we don't package any bones with the meat. This year we're going to try ribs though so I'll let you know how that goes. but our roasts/steaks/etc are just the meat.
7-everything is better with bacon. Since venison is a such a lean meat the burger can have a very strong flavor. so when we process our burger we grind fresh bacon right into it. You can add different types of bacon (i really like the peppercorn type) This gives your burger some fat and flavor.

now you have your deer in the freezer, what to do with it....

for whole pieces of meat I like to thaw it ahead of cooking time and soak it in milk. weird right? It seems to take some of the *game* taste out that everyone seems to use as the reason not to eat venison.

Recipes to follow

Jess 08-31-2009 12:07 PM

VENISON ROAST

prep
thaw venison roast in milk in fridge overnight (its okay if its not completely thawed the night before)

ingredients
3lb roast
1/2 can cola
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 beef bullion cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper (fresh ground pepper or split pepper corns)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 crushed garlic cloves (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Rinse milk off the roast using cool water, place roast in crock pot, or electric roasting pan. Add all ingredients listed above and enough cool tap water to cover the roast. If you use a roasting pan instead of a crock you will need to add water throughout the cooking process. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours. 1 hour before serving shredd roast, first slicing against the grain and then fork shredding, place back into cooking liquid.

I have made this for many friends and they assure me it tastes just like beef. The spice measurements are approx, I ususally add more cumin and red pepper flakes to make it a bit spicier.

Jess 08-31-2009 01:31 PM

tomorrow I'll start with the *left over roast* recipes, if you guys are interested

BigByrd47119 08-31-2009 02:21 PM

Hey man thats a great start! I dont have any real recipes, but I might try to snatch one or two from my father-in-law. Keep em coming!

dukech1 08-31-2009 11:07 PM

Fantastic start Jess! Lemme find some of mine to post. Can we include sides, or just game?

BigByrd47119 08-31-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukech1 (Post 153628)
Fantastic start Jess! Lemme find some of mine to post. Can we include sides, or just game?

My thought would be its ok. Maybe a side or two with each main dish? But please, anyone who does post sides, make them interesting and not somthing common (like microwaved canned corn).

dynastyofnext 08-31-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess (Post 153397)
VENISON

5-if temperature allows you want to hang your deer for a few days its really worth it.

Wont maggots be a problem, or is there something that keeps the flies away?

skullcrusher 09-01-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynastyofnext (Post 153650)
Wont maggots be a problem, or is there something that keeps the flies away?

Thus the teperature deal. If the outdoor temp is near what your fridge is, there are no flies; thus no maggots. :rolleyes:

dynastyofnext 09-01-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 153660)
Thus the teperature deal. If the outdoor temp is near what your fridge is, there are no flies; thus no maggots. :rolleyes:

ah I see, well its been noted and now I know. Thanks

dukech1 09-01-2009 12:34 AM

Squirrel Stew

2-Squirrels-cleaned(hopefully)-cut into pieces
1-cup vinegar, I use apple cider
1-onion diced, I use red onions
3/4 tsp sea salt
3/4tsp black pepper, more if you like, I do
1-tsp seasoned salt
1-bay leaf(dried) 2 if fresh
2-stalks fresh celery, diced
4-medium carrots, diced
3-10 Red Potatoes, depends on size, cubed
1-can of beer, more for the cook
2-Ts- butter
2-Ts-decent olive oil

Wash squirrels and cut up into pieces, combine sea salt, vinegar,pepper, and onion into a large freezer type bag, add beer to cover. Let stand in fridge for 3+hours. Remove squirrels, drain and in a large skillet with a cover, brown in butter and olive oil, do not drain. Add seasoned salt,celery,carrots, bay leaf and enough water or beer to cover all. Cover and simmer till meat is tender.

Serve with fresh cornbread, or soda bread.