Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Rabbit snare (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/rabbit-snare-59893/)

spinks 03-10-2012 08:22 AM

Rabbit snare

Ow many or you tryed rabbit hunting just started my self any tips

blackdragon 03-10-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinks (Post 735424)
Ow many or you tryed rabbit hunting just started my self any tips

I've been hunting rabbits for about 15 years.
for snaring, you just need to find their paths they run through, they'll be obvious since they wear down and poop in and around them. there's two ways to secure a snare, either by attaching the snare to a small tree, thick branch or using a stake stuck firmly in the ground. what I do for attaching the snare to the tree, branch or stake is to turn the tail of the snare twice around the object and twisting the wire back onto the main going back to the snare, this is secure and strong enough to hold a rabbit/hare.
for a stake, take a piece of wood at least thumb width and sharpen the end and make sure when set in the ground that it's difficult to remove by hand, 9-12 inches of ground penetration should be good in most places.
when setting the snare, tie the snare off above or beside the trail and put the snare in the way about thumb width from the ground. you can if there's no suitable anchor on the trail and the ground is not good for a stake, take a length of bankline, 550 cord or other strong cord and tie the snare to it and tie the cord to a appropriate anchor, then just prop the snare up on the trail with a small stake.
as to how to make a rabbit snare, take a 18 inch piece of 20 gauge snaring wire and make a loop in one end by bending the end over and twisting the wire back on itself and then run the free end through the loop and you have your snare. make sure the twisted loop is just big enough to let the wire run through it smoothly. make the snare so it's 4 finger width when set so the head will fit, you can bend the snare at where the loop rests on the wire so it stays at this width, you don't want ot to open or close or it might fail.

theropinfool 03-10-2012 08:54 PM

In my experience, the best thing one can do is have an incredibly accurate rifle, such as my 25-06, an excellent varmit bullet, such as the 75 grain Hornady V-Max, traveling at 3600 fps.

This combination has proven quite effective on our western jackrabbits.

Ledbetter84 would use a browning 270 with a 90 grain Speer TNT. This is also a tremendous rabbit combination.

Not to long ago I had a rabbit right in my sights. Just as I was squeezing the trigger, the rabbit turned into a red smear in my scope. Ledbetter had beat me to it. It was a good trip.

hiwall 03-10-2012 11:12 PM

You have to check your state laws before using any snares. Rabbits are fun to hunt with any .22. Taste good also.

spinks 03-12-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdragon

I've been hunting rabbits for about 15 years.
for snaring, you just need to find their paths they run through, they'll be obvious since they wear down and poop in and around them. there's two ways to secure a snare, either by attaching the snare to a small tree, thick branch or using a stake stuck firmly in the ground. what I do for attaching the snare to the tree, branch or stake is to turn the tail of the snare twice around the object and twisting the wire back onto the main going back to the snare, this is secure and strong enough to hold a rabbit/hare.
for a stake, take a piece of wood at least thumb width and sharpen the end and make sure when set in the ground that it's difficult to remove by hand, 9-12 inches of ground penetration should be good in most places.
when setting the snare, tie the snare off above or beside the trail and put the snare in the way about thumb width from the ground. you can if there's no suitable anchor on the trail and the ground is not good for a stake, take a length of bankline, 550 cord or other strong cord and tie the snare to it and tie the cord to a appropriate anchor, then just prop the snare up on the trail with a small stake.
as to how to make a rabbit snare, take a 18 inch piece of 20 gauge snaring wire and make a loop in one end by bending the end over and twisting the wire back on itself and then run the free end through the loop and you have your snare. make sure the twisted loop is just big enough to let the wire run through it smoothly. make the snare so it's 4 finger width when set so the head will fit, you can bend the snare at where the loop rests on the wire so it stays at this width, you don't want ot to open or close or it might fail.

That's some good tips right there I'll keep that in mind gonna have to try them all out and see what works best for me lot of the spots I go to have fair amount or bushes so thinking I'll be good there

spinks 03-12-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theropinfool
In my experience, the best thing one can do is have an incredibly accurate rifle, such as my 25-06, an excellent varmit bullet, such as the 75 grain Hornady V-Max, traveling at 3600 fps.

This combination has proven quite effective on our western jackrabbits.

Ledbetter84 would use a browning 270 with a 90 grain Speer TNT. This is also a tremendous rabbit combination.

Not to long ago I had a rabbit right in my sights. Just as I was squeezing the trigger, the rabbit turned into a red smear in my scope. Ledbetter had beat me to it. It was a good trip.

Yah I do have a nice gun .204 ruger 39 grain blitzking to much damage not nuff meat left to eat most of the time

spinks 03-12-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
You have to check your state laws before using any snares. Rabbits are fun to hunt with any .22. Taste good also.

For sure ill have to check them out just in case usually don't have to much problems being I hunt on reservation bit it's always good to know what the regulation is

theropinfool 03-12-2012 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinks

Yah I do have a nice gun .204 ruger 39 grain blitzking to much damage not nuff meat left to eat most of the time

We don't eat jackrabbits. We just blow em up. Be about like eating a rat.

Ledbetter84 03-12-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theropinfool

We don't eat jackrabbits. We just blow em up. Be about like eating a rat.

Plus it's a lot more fun to see the different parts of rabbits in various sagebrush plants!

masterPsmith 03-12-2012 04:36 AM

Jackrabbits make great rabbit stew. Winter Jacks are a bit better than Summer Jacks though.