Questions for bear hunters.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Questions for bear hunters.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1116 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Questions for bear hunters.

I have a question for the bear hunters here. This one is not about what is the best firearm for defense from bears, but rather how the practical aspects of attempting to kill a bear would vary with the type of weapon. For instance, I have read that it's better to try to shoot an attacking bear in the shoulder or hip joint, crippling them and stopping their speed of attack before trying for a kill shot. Okay, this might work with a high power rifle, but with, say, a .44 magnum? I wouldn't think it had enough power. How about a .30-30?

I've also read that with a handgun a shot must penetrate the brain or the spinal column. How thick is a bear's skull? Where would you aim?

With a shotgun, which would be best, slugs or something like 00 buckshot? Once more, where is the best aiming point -- joint, skull, heart?

Now, mostly I am talking about grizzly or brown bears, but if this differs with black bears, how?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Well, I'm not a bear hunter, but we used to hike all over bear country when I was younger. I was told to aim high on the upper shoulder, or just below the nose and expect your gonna slam the trigger under stress and the round is gonna go low and hit the vitals.

image-1164835876.jpg

Here's the actual shot placement. Which is where I'd be aiming. I'm a stone cold killa. I don't slap no triggers. I was also told to spray first and draw down for if he breaks through the cloud of bear spray because a pistol vs a bear is a very bad deal and the spray works way more often than a gun.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-16-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

bears have a totally different blood count than humans, so although a heart/lung shot will kill a bear, sometimes it takes them a while to realize they are dead. You want to take out the front shoulder as you shoot into their vitals so it will slow down in its movements to not get away or get to you before you can fiinish it off.
A charging bear a head shot would be pure luck if you stopped it, their skulls are thick and sloped so much that the bullets would generally richochet off before they could penetrate into the brain.
Buck shot is useless unless you can shoot it in its mouth and break its jaw but he still will have his claws to do you serious harm or death.
The inuit will hunt polar bears with a 223 and do side shots in the head to kill them, but they also are generally in a kayak to get up close and get away faster than they can swim. On land you would be crazy to try that.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Try a search and you can find days worth of reading on the subject.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

If I was purposefully hunting a bear I would do it with my 458winmag using 520 grain softpoints at 2100fps. Aimpoint would be to the heart lungs while going through a shoulder to get there.

Buckshot is useless for bears. It will just lodge under the fat lay in the muscle and piss it off more than it naturally is capable of being.

While bears have been killed with handguns its not wise or ethical to purposefully do so

If your hunting a bear take a gun big enough to humanely kill the beast.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
If I was purposefully hunting a bear I would do it with my 458winmag using 520 grain softpoints at 2100fps. Aimpoint would be to the heart lungs while going through a shoulder to get there.

Buckshot is useless for bears. It will just lodge under the fat lay in the muscle and piss it off more than it naturally is capable of being.

While bears have been killed with handguns its not wise or ethical to purposefully do so

If your hunting a bear take a gun big enough to humanely kill the beast.
Thanks for those words. Great post.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Thanks for those words. Great post.
Humanely means ...death as quickly as possible.
If you dont kill it humanely...He will kill you VERY inhumanely slowly.

Jim
People Like This 
Old 10-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1836 Times on 1309 Posts
Likes Given: 2075

Default Buck shot.....................

Not meant to kill, only to deter the bear from ripping you too shreds. A frontal head shot with 18 5/16 dia. pellets to the nose and eyes will stop the bear for a second, hence the second round of buck shot and follow up with a slug or two if you are still living and not being ripped to shredds by 5 inch claws from a pissed off bear................Young bears will retreat, old bears don't give a sh$t, just like in the human male spiecies..............lol...............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #9

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

I have shot a bear with a bow , there anatomy is quite different than other animals , a shoulder shot is to far forward . Their lungs are high and back and the heart is low and back . This similar area in a deer would be a gut shot . I put a broadhead in one and I thought I had shot it back a bit far . Upon field dressing it I had a perfect heart shot . Lemme tell you one thing a bear will always know something is wrong when they come in , they will know you are some where in that area even though they may not know exactly where you are and may not be able to see you . They are very sketchy , and observant. You however will NEVER , I mean NEVER out run a bear . The one I shot went through the heart and he still went about 50 yards full steam and within seconds of being shot was out of my sight . I have some video some where as I videoed this hunt . There are alot of anatomy pics out there that are just plain wrong and most of them have the internals to far forwards . This is probably the best one out there that represents the vitals in the right spot on a black bear. The lungs are directly above the heart and go back about mid way of the open area

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
DaughterofAres Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If attacked by a Grizz your choice of fire arms is not likely an issue. In all the attacks I am familiar with they were by surprise. The attack was fast powerful and disabling. The rifle was lost during the first pass by the bear. In two attacks hand guns carried high across the chest saved the victim from dying. In one instance a fellow hunter shot the sow 5 times with a .270 at about 3 feet. In all instances the victims underwent months of very expensive surgery and healing. One fellow has spent over $300,000 and is not yet healed.