Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Question about wild hog hunting: field dress yes or no?

View Poll Results: Can you immediately put a hog on ice without field dress to drive to butcher
Yes, assuming the shot did not hit bile/urine/etc organs and butcher will take it that way 1 7.14%
No, you should always field dress it no matter what 13 92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about wild hog hunting: field dress yes or no?

As my thread title suggests, I have a question, which stems from the following argument that occurred at work:

I told a few co-workers about the fact that my wife and I are excited to go hog hunting, and learned that there seemed to be two camps: some people said not to field dress, and instead put it on ice immediately and drive to the nearest butcher that will take it and get it processed. The other group said I should field dress it right there, removing all the organs i don't intend on eating, to get the best flavor. The first camp said this was dangerous, as I was exposing myself to too much risk for disease.

I've been thrown by a loop by this. My initial thoughts on taking an animal is the first thing you do, after a quick trophy shot if it is spectacular, is field dress the animal. I wouldn't normally give a second thought to the first camp, but they seemed to otherwise be extremely educated hunters that knew what they are doing.

I wanted to put feelers out there for how common it is to just put the carcass on ice and immediately get it to a butcher without field dressing: I mean, I'm not going to butcher the entire thing myself, so it's going to go to a butcher anyway. Assuming I have a head shot or other such immediate kill, is it okay to just put it on ice, or is this a strange idea?

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The word "immediately" is to vague to provide a meaningful response. If it means 1 hour from kill to butcher, then maybe hold until you get to a butcher that will take the pig that way (check in advance). If it means 3 to 5 hours or more, then field dressing is essential.

Many butchers will not even take a hog that has not been dressed and skinned. Good butchers will want to know how the pig was handled in the field before they agree to take it. I've seen hunters with poorly handled hogs rejected by butchers that don't want to have the meat in their shop.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I usually field dress game, unless it is really cold and the processor is less than an hour away.

Humans can catch brucellosis (aka. Malta fever, undulant fever) from exposure to the blood of infected animals. Wild pigs frequently have the bacteria that causes brucellosis. The infection usually occurs by getting the pig's blood into a cut or other open wound on the human. Wearing rubber gloves is best when butchering wild pigs.

Brucellosis was very common in humans before we started pasteurizing milk, as it can infect cattle.

Cooking pork thoroughly kills the bacteria, so it can be safe to eat. Don't ever eat wild pork that is not well done.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 02-22-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #4

Liked 1085 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

I field dress where it drops...............

When all else fails.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

We gut'em right where they fall,and get'em on ice as soon as we can.
Pork spoils really fast.
If it's really cold outside,you can be a little more lax about it,but get them gutted as fast as you can.They're easier to drag,when they're gutted.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #6

Liked 601 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Me and my group usually kill 50-150 hogs a year and we field dress, and butcher every one. None of us have ever gotten sick from it.

I love to hog hu t.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts

When ever I hunt either deer or hog I field dress them with in 20 min of shooting them. Then I either put them on ice or put them in to cold storage , the longer you let them hang the better the meat will taste cause you will get rid of that gamey taste.you don't want to eat a boar or an old sow cause no mater how long you let them age they will always have a funny taste to them.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #8

Liked 601 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF
you don't want to eat a boar or an old sow cause no mater how long you let them age they will always have a funny taste to them.
If you put em in a sink full of beer over night it will take it out most of the way. It dosent have to be expensive or good beer, nat ice will work.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
When ever I hunt either deer or hog I field dress them with in 20 min of shooting them. Then I either put them on ice or put them in to cold storage , the longer you let them hang the better the meat will taste cause you will get rid of that gamey taste.you don't want to eat a boar or an old sow cause no mater how long you let them age they will always have a funny taste to them.
The taste of the pig is more related to their food supply than their age. If the pigs have been eating barley, alfalfa, almonds, or pistachios, the pigs will taste pretty good no matter how old they are. If the pigs have been living primarily on acorns, then plan on making a lot of sausage.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #10

Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I usually field dress game, unless it is really cold and the processor is less than an hour away.

Humans can catch brucellosis (aka. Malta fever, undulant fever) from exposure to the blood of infected animals. Wild pigs frequently have the bacteria that causes brucellosis. The infection usually occurs by getting the pig's blood into a cut or other open wound on the human. Wearing rubber gloves is best when butchering wild pigs.

Brucellosis was very common in humans before we started pasteurizing milk, as it can infect cattle.

Cooking pork thoroughly kills the bacteria, so it can be safe to eat. Don't ever eat wild pork that is not well done.
I have heard that you can even get rabies from an infected animal if you eat the meat without cooking it well enough.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves