Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Question about Boar Hunting... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/question-about-boar-hunting-34548/)

Fuzzyinline 11-19-2010 05:17 PM

Question about Boar Hunting...

Im kinda new to this hunting thing... at first i was interested in buying an AR-15 for boar hunting, but ive heard from different people that possibly the AR-15 would be no good for wild boar hunting... my uncle has a lease where 4-5oo pound boars roam quite often. And someone suggested that i get an FN light 2o .308... everyones saying a 27o would be better, but im more into the assault rifle type. i need some input, suggestions, any experiences with these, or help...

patret 11-19-2010 07:17 PM

The M1A would be a good choice based on your question. The 7.62 by 51 is a lot more potent round than the 223. It would fill your assault rifle needs.

orangello 11-19-2010 07:45 PM

If you got the cash, DPMS uses some big bangers in some of their AR10-type firearms.

FWIW, i have heard of more than a few guys using 7.62x39mm on hogs. Ammo type might also be an important choice.

Dillinger 11-19-2010 07:51 PM

First off, I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST going boar hunting with a .223 :eek:

You are talking about a big, mean, heavily muscled animal with a small brain and small heart. They are very tough to bring down with just one shot.

So, you want an assault style rifle and you want to hunt pigs.

Hhhhhaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeee you met MAGNUM P*I*G* ???

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/build-time-has-come-22019/index3.html

powg 11-19-2010 08:19 PM

ar's and boar hunting

the only ar i would use would be the ar-10 in .308 or 7mm08 and .243 if you were gonna hunt hogs under a feeder in a open area/ the .223 would be a head shot only option ,but having alot of experiance at hunting hogs ,only the biggest,baddest boars are solitary....the sows, small boars and shoats are in groups ....and the frenzy for the last kernal of corn is amazing to see,they are always moving ,so for a good ,clean one shot kill to the head it would be very tough

orangello 11-19-2010 08:35 PM

Perhaps a tacticool 12 guage pump with some vicious-looking slugs would do it for you? (seriously & no offense)

I am considering getting into the hog hunting since MS changed the rules on it, and my current plan is to use my pump 12 with the 18.5" barrel and slugs(with a side of .357 mag revolver at hand) until i see just how big the locals are, that i can find. Later, i would like to try the SKS on them.

995 11-19-2010 10:00 PM

Will a 30/30 do good for boar .

Dillinger 11-19-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 995 (Post 389077)
Wil a 30/30 do good for boar .

Yes. Provided you don't run into Monster Boar or anything, but for the average boar, a good shot with a follow up should be plenty. ;)

JD

lonyaeger 11-19-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patret (Post 389005)
The M1A would be a good choice based on your question. The 7.62 by 51 is a lot more potent round than the 223. It would fill your assault rifle needs.

An M1A would be great, but they are expensive.....and that's without any type of optic on it. Plus, it might be a little heavier and longer than you want for what could turn into close-quarters shooting.

AR10 would be the way for you to go, in my opinion. Good caliber for pigs. That's if you're looking for a certain style of rifle. Let's just not call it an "assault rifle." :o

c3shooter 11-20-2010 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
May I respectfully direct your attention to the below piggie, the related tusks, and ask you to consider the relative size of the .223 cartridge, the thickness of bone armoring the vitals of this critter, mention that they tend to travel in herds, and are OMNIVORES. PS- the diet of an OMNIVORE includes people that did not bring enuff gun. This year we are hearing complaints from bowhunters and muzzleloader guys of herds of pigs devouring their deer.

Attachment 21831

And if anything happens- can I have your guns?:rolleyes: