Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question

How many of you people regularly hunt with single shot guns? I guess that I have been a bit exocentric all my life, as I have always preferred them. In my way of thinking the one shot one kill principal makes one a better shot and a more contentious hunter. That could be the reason that I have gotten big time into muzzle loading hunting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Have hunted with just about everything from a pointy stick to a belt fed MG (Well, OK, technically that was self defense, not hunting) But yes, have- and sometimes still do- hunt with a single. With the RARE exception of an occasional double in doves or quail, I cannot recall when I had a clean miss with my first shot, but got it on my second. That has included once hole shootsguns (as they were call around Baton Rouge) Highwall rifles, the odd single shot 22 rifle here and there, and a .50 Hawken. However, if I am hunting something that can eat ME, I want a 2nd (and a 3rd and a 4th and a 5th) shot.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a couple single shots shotguns but normally hunt with my side by side Savage Fox in 20 ga. I do hunt with a single shot T/C Encore in 7mm-08 for whitetails if that counts for anything at all.

This fall my ten year old granddaughter and I will be hunting together and carrying a single shot .410. Because we are hunting under the mentor program we will be sharing the firearm. She has to hunt this way until she is twelve so I guess it's a single shot for the next two years.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

Looks to me that you are starting your granddaughter out the right way. I would start her with hand thrown clays and a lot of practice. That is how I started all my kids and grandchildren, Moved them up to a 20 gauge single when they were a little bigger. My favorite pheasant gun is the 410 H&R topper my father gave me when I was ten over sixty years ago.

The Encore is a nice little gun but a bit pricey for me. My latest pride in joy is an H&R Handi-Rifle. I have 243, 270, 308 and 30-06 scope-mounted barrels for it. It is like having four guns for less than a grand sights and all. For northern Wisconsin deer you might think about one in the 30-30. As I remember it I think that it is shotgun only down around you. We lived in near Bristol about 15 years ago.

You might want to check out the Seven Mile Fair every now and then. I picked up some nice guns at great prices there when we lived in your area.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Last edited by Walley; 08-22-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:56 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I agree with you Walley that having one shot makes a person a better hunter. I use my muzzlelader quite often and it has been good to me. For a challenge, I sometimes take my NEF .410 when I am ground hunting. I do loves me some single shots. I need to get more. Heck, for the price, it makes good sense. Plus, the wood furniture is just beautiful on the NEF's and the H&R's.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Walley, that girl has been shooting quite a lot. She will be also hunting whitetails with her new black gun in 6.8 SPC this season. We already have a stand picked out for the youth hunt on Oct. 9th.

I think she's becoming a pretty decent shot and I'm looking forward to getting out with my new hunting partner.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #7

I have done it but prefer the side by side

Old 08-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #8

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

i started both of my sons out at 11 with single shots. i figured when they became able to cock the hammer themselves, then they were ready.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #9

Default Depends

Wouldn't make much sense if bird hunting but I suppose it's understandable for big game. Not being a big game hunter I'm not too sure how it all works but what if you wound on the first shot and need that number two to finish the job?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

By holding a shell between the fingers of my left hand I can reload a break open single shot in about two seconds. In the past 60 years I have scored doubles hunting pheasant and quail several hundred times doing it that way. Same system works with my break open rifles.

Hunting successfully with single shots, shotgun or rifle, takes one thing. It is called discipline. You have to know not only your weapons limitations but also your own. You can never take a shot in the field that you can’t make every time at the range. Only take the shots you are sure of and pass on the iffy ones. Any moron can bang away with a pump or automatic but it takes a good shot and skilled hunter to do it with only one shot