Pulsar DFA75
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Pulsar DFA75

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Pulsar DFA75

Have any of you guys looked at the new NV unit from Pulsar ? The digital DFA75 is a forward mounting digital night vision with a massive light range, so wide it isn't damaged by daylight unlike most video tube intensified NVs. As the unit fits on the front rather than the back of your day scope eye relief isn't compromised also you can switch the unit by buying additional mounting rings for your other scopes. Here in the UK they are £1,200 so not cheap and initially there were a few teething problems, i.e. poor set of instructions, overly tight mount coupling also the menu isn't visible on scopes over x5 magnification - so not good. However they do have an incredible image quality especially if you team the unit up with a decent infrared source such as the Night Master 800 IR, the built-in IR unit doesn't seem to be man enough for the job. Anyway at the moment the DFA75 seems to have set the bar though I suspect there will be a rush for other manufacturers to be adding a digital unit to their own range.
The units are having a software upgrade and the second batch will be available here in the UK from about 1st May.
The question is do I sell my beloved S&B 8x56 illuminated for a Zeiss Diarange 3-12x56 ? More to the point can I really come up with a water-tight justification so plausible my wife won't take my favourite hunting knife and test it's sharpness on my gentleman vegetables ?

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro View Post
More to the point can I really come up with a water-tight justification so plausible my wife won't take my favourite hunting knife and test it's sharpness on my gentleman vegetables ?
You sir win a medal for being funny, that literally made me laugh out loud. more to the point, I doubt your wife will be happy if you buy anything that costs more than a meal at McDonald's; however it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission so if you have the money I say go for it.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

I've been looking at the NV550 and NV750,but I might have to look into these. All of these digital NV scopes are very neat optics,I've looked thru one of the NV550's that a gun shop owner has mounted on one of his personal rifles and was impressed with the quality of the unit.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #4

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

So when does the US get these??

Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Dfa75

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro
Quote:
More to the point can I really come up with a water-tight justification so plausible my wife won't take my favourite hunting knife and test it's sharpness on my gentleman vegetables ?
You sir win a medal for being funny, that literally made me laugh out loud. more to the point, I doubt your wife will be happy if you buy anything that costs more than a meal at McDonald's; however it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission so if you have the money I say go for it.
Thanks Garadex !! Actually I'm earning a good income at the moment from shooting so I may well swing it ....and continue to swing IT as well.

They are going to be marketed in the states but now you know how we feel seeing all the nice kit you guys can buy with none of it available this side of the pond.
The unit has some odd "features" such as a 43mm difference in axis i.e. the unit view 43mm high so you will shoot 43mm lower than POA apparently the factory zero the scopes to 100m of course shots taken at targets closer or further away will again cause a difference. Personally I think I would rather set the sight up parallel and go from there, an extra 1.7 inches may be significant in some applications ( ) but not this one - depending on what you are shooting of course.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro

Thanks Garadex !! Actually I'm earning a good income at the moment from shooting so I may well swing it ....and continue to swing IT as well.

They are going to be marketed in the states but now you know how we feel seeing all the nice kit you guys can buy with none of it available this side of the pond.
The unit has some odd "features" such as a 43mm difference in axis i.e. the unit view 43mm high so you will shoot 43mm lower than POA apparently the factory zero the scopes to 100m of course shots taken at targets closer or further away will again cause a difference. Personally I think I would rather set the sight up parallel and go from there, an extra 1.7 inches may be significant in some applications ( ) but not this one - depending on what you are shooting of course.
Yeah I'd prefer it to be a straight set up but hey! It's a lot better than those that replace the scope

Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I've been looking at the NV550 and NV750,but I might have to look into these. All of these digital NV scopes are very neat optics,I've looked thru one of the NV550's that a gun shop owner has mounted on one of his personal rifles and was impressed with the quality of the unit.
I think the DFA75 was derived from the NV750 apparently the quality is the same but it would mean me having to buy another 6.5x55 Sako if I bought the NV750 and it would be a great advantage being able to switch the DFA75 over to my 22LR Ruger when I went bunny bashing.
A major advantage of the digital NV's is the very wide range of light they can tollerate without damage.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default DFA75 update

The latest on the DFA75 is that the company are modifying the mount to make switching between scopes easier, updating the NV's firmware and writing a decent set of instructions for setting the unit up. General comments from people who have already taken the plunge are in the main positive though many have bought a supplimentary IR to replace the inboard offering.