Public opinion - Landowners
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Public opinion - Landowners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2014 Times on 1383 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Default Public opinion - Landowners

Many landowners in this area are willing to let anyone with enough sense to shut the gate hunt on their property. But getting permission to hunt with a centerfire rifle is difficult. This is a left over from the days when we could hunt with dogs. When we hunted with dogs everyone used a shotgun loaded with buckshot. A rifle was only to be used on power lines and plowed fields with no houses in the area.

Today game laws have changed but landowner attitudes have remained the same. They will only give permission to hunt with a shotgun on their land. Landowner feelings are so wide spread we have a county ordinance requiring written permission to hunt with a centerfire rifle on any private land.

Many landowners believe that a centerfire bullet will ricochet and go on for miles. I have tried to explain to landowners that a centerfire bullet is deformed once it strikes a solid object. Once the bullet is deformed it won't go very far. They just point to the warning on the box of ammo and don't want to hear anymore.

Has anyone had any luck convincing landowners that a rifle is safe? It has no magic power to ricochet off a tree to strike someone miles away. I could kill many more coyotes with a 5.56x45 than a 22. I told one land owner that I was just wounding or crippling coyotes with a 22. He replied he didn't care if the coyote died right there or a week later. Just make sure the coyote doesn't get a chance to reproduce.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #2

Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Your right but there are so many fools running around with centerfire rifles too it hard to change long term feelings. Maybe you can stay with a rimfire but use a 17hmr or the .22mag with the v-max bullet. . Extends your range buy close to a 100 yards. Also winchester is supose to be comeing out with a new super dupper 2600 feet rimfire at the first of the year.

Last edited by hardluk1; 12-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1383 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Your right but there are so many fools running around with centerfire rifles too it hard to change long term feelings. Maybe you can stay with a rimfire but use a 17hmr or the .22mag with the v-max bullet. . Extends your range buy close to a 100 yards. Also winchester is supose to be comeing out with a new super dupper 2600 feet rimfire at the first of the year.
I am waiting to see what comes out at the first of the year. Where I have the most luck with coyotes the landowner has a new Marlin 22 wmr. I have been using it for my hunts. If the new Winchester is widely available right off the bat I might buy one. If it's a $1000 gun and $10 for 20 cartridges I don't see one in the future.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Savage makes a bolt action 20 gauge shotgun with rifled barrel that is very accurate out to 100 yards using sabot slugs. Other than that a 22 mag possibly with 50 grain bullets for a little more thump.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #5

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Story Time!!! The shooter in the story went to school with my boss's son. The shootee in the story was my coworker's cousin. Small freaking world...
About 15 miles from where I grew up, back in 2009, there was a young man hunting from a ground blind with a centerfire rifle, a .30-06. He fired at a deer, and made a clean MISS!

A little over 3 miles away, my coworker's cousin is cruising down the road, chatting on his cell phone, and minding his own business...
When a round came in through his back window, shattered his cell phone, leaving bits and pieces of plastic in his face, and went through his instrument panel in the dash board. It left his thumb hanging by a scrap of skin in the process.

The round was never recovered for ballistic testing. All accounts point to the bullet fired and the bullet received being the same one. It's possible that there is way more to this story, but no one knows for sure. As far as anyone can tell, it was the only shot fired in the area at that same time. Extremely rural area, and both events happening within seconds as far as anyone can tell, and the impact being almost directly in line with the direction the shot was fired...

Point is, freak accidents do happen. But generally, hunting with a centerfire is safe as you claim. The chances of something like this happening are about the same as getting struck by lightning. And really, he was taking a risk by talking on the cell while driving anyway...

Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #6

Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Sounds more like BS. Unless that deer was on top of a ridge and he missed high it ain't that round. Ballisticaly no way 3 miles out.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #7

Liked 2548 Times on 1653 Posts

I remember reading an article about richochets. The US army did field tests and came to the conclusion that a 12 guage slug will richochet farther than a 30-06. No links, and I believe I have copies of the article at work.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Many landowners aren't worried about ricochets, they are worried about idiots that can't tell a deer or elk from livestock.They also aren't crazy about hunters that shoot up farm equipment,irrigation pipes, wheel lines and pump houses through stupidity or carelessness.Losing livestock off property because some moron didn't get a gate closed properly is another reason that hunters have been excluded from many properties.I have seen all of these things happen.
Only those very few hunters proven to be responsible are allowed to hunt on the ranch now,and I keep a close eye on them.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #9

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Sounds more like BS. Unless that deer was on top of a ridge and he missed high it ain't that round. Ballisticaly no way 3 miles out.
Call it BS if you want. The two people involved have a hard time believing it too.

Here are the facts.
Guy shot at a deer.
Another guy diving along the road at the same time, and inline with the direction the shot was fired, was hit.

No other hunters were known to be in the area, no other shots were known to be fired in the area.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 668

I was on a dirt road walking back to my truck when a farmer stopped and gave me permission to hunt his land because I had my rifle slung unloaded with the bolt open. He figured if I was safe enough to do that I was safe enough to hunt his land. It was an older well used rifle with a receiver sight and maybe he figured I would not be taking any long shots. I got the feeling he did not think much of the "dudes" as he put it with their fancy rifles.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.