Problems with the Rem7oo? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Problems with the Rem7oo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 04:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 192 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Default upgrade

I think that is a GRAND idea...I have a pre 2009 (X Mark Pro Trigger added to rem 700 on that year) remington. An upgrade to an adjustable trigger would make me a very happy camper seeing as I'm a Browning fan and that rifle is my only remington...I may be inclined to buy more remington

Old 12-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #12

Likes Given: 4

I do not completely believe what the press is saying about the Remington 700's, nor do I think Remington should be "circling the wagons" with outright denials of the issue. As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle between the 2 sides.

Remington supporters should continie to enjoy the companies products while the company should be willing to upgrade the trigger mechanisms for those customers who are concerned.

Just my .02

Old 12-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6017 Times on 3151 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhagen65 View Post
I do not completely believe what the press is saying about the Remington 700's, nor do I think Remington should be "circling the wagons" with outright denials of the issue. As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle between the 2 sides.

Remington supporters should continie to enjoy the companies products while the company should be willing to upgrade the trigger mechanisms for those customers who are concerned.

Just my .02
in this issue it isnt a matter of two sides with truth in the middle. its a matter of msnbc making up a lie out of whole cloth to target an american company.

im not a hoorahrah supporter of remington i only own one of their products i vastly prefer older winchesters and the cz rifles over most of what remington has to offer. but it irks the hell out of me when out right lies are portrayed as truth about a good quality product.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have witnessed 700s going off when closing the bolts a few times. Every time the trigger had been tinkered with and or replaced with a aftermarket trigger. Not saying it hasnt/wont happen on factory set triggers but im sure 99% of the time its operater/woodshed gunsmithing to blame.

I say sue the tool manufacter that they adjusted the trigger with.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #15

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post
I have witnessed 700s going off when closing the bolts a few times. Every time the trigger had been tinkered with and or replaced with a aftermarket trigger. Not saying it hasnt/wont happen on factory set triggers but im sure 99% of the time its operater/woodshed gunsmithing to blame.

I say sue the tool manufacter that they adjusted the trigger with.
I highly doubt that a Jewell or timney replacment trigger ever caused a misfire in a Remmy 700. They should have had actually made the 700 safer. A poorley reworked factory trigger, however, is a different story.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Not as an arguement but I have a Jewell that can be lightened to the point it will fire when closing the bolt,thumping the butt, etc. Granted its around 1.5 onces before it happens. So not to argue but stating that an "adjusted" trigger can fail. My point was to blame the nut behind the butt for playing with something they shouldnt have, or playing with it beyond a safe point. Not to blame the Manufacter.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #17

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The Jewell for my target rifle is set at 1 pound and 3 oz's. and I have shot over 1000 rounds through it and it has never misfired. The second barrel for it is one the way and I expedct to not have a misfire through it's time in use. I can take this 700 rifle and literally throw it as hard as I can to the ground on it's butt and it still won't go off. And your point is taken. It 99.999999% the nut behind the butt that causes these 700 problems. I think because this Remington 700 Rifle is so profilic in in numbers going back to the 1950's that it gets an unfair shake when it comes to compairing it to other brand of rifles regarding misfires.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 508 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I have never had any troubles with several Remington bolt rifles,,700's, 788's,
an old model 30, I believe, 541's and a couple of old single shots. I always kept them clean, did not tinker when I was not sure of exactly what I was doing, and ALWAYS, kept them pointed in a safe direction. Any device can fail or malfunction at the least expected moment, we should all be wary of any product and use recommended precautions and safety guidelines, but accidents may still occur,, we are only human.

Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 02-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #19

I don't mean to get a bunch of folks upset here and I own a Rem 870 which so far I like quite a bit, but I watched (& recorded) a documentary ("Remington Under Fire") on C.N.B.C. which documented the following:

Thousands of complaints from around the country have been filed against Remmington regarding misfires of the Rem 700 including 75 lawsuits.

Remington "Settled" the lawsuits (paid them off) with confidentiality required as part of the settlement.

In addition to all the complaints filed by individuals;

Police snipers in Portland Maine, after complaining of misfires to
remington and receiving no satisfaction documented the misfires on video (which I saw).

U.S. Border Patrol Agents with similar problems and no satisfaction from Remington also video taped the guns misfiring (I saw the video).

The Marine Sniper School in Camp LeJune N.C. in 2003 filed a complaint of "some rifles going off (misfiring) 2 or more times per 20 rds." and videotaped it (which again I saw in the documentary).

The Police S.W.A.T. Team in Kissimmee Fla had a Rem 700 misfire in a raid on a drug house and fired through the house endangering everyone. No one was injured but they discontinued use of the 700s.

In Wash State (no town named) an instructor at the C.J.T.C. firing range said that it happens there so often that they have a name for it; "A Remington Moment".

Mr Mike Walker, The engineer who designed the Rem 700 including the trigger mechanism (and is now retired) said on film that he filed a memo in 1946 (which C.N.B.C. obtained) with Remington about the faulty "Trigger Connector", and another Rem engineer filed a memo calling it "very dangerous".

Remington refused to recall the (as of then) 200 rifles sold or even authorize adopting the modification necessary to fix the problem in the guns not yet produced (which at that time would have cost 5 1/2 cents per gun).

In the 1970s Remington recalled their model 600 due to similar problems but refused to recall their more popular model 700.

In 1979 There was an internal memo at the Remington plant detailing a "Screwdriver Test" which was applied to trigger mechanisms of 700s on site. 44 of the ones they (Remington) tested misfired, and it was estimated that 20,000 already sold could have that problem.

In 1994, after a Mr Glen Collins sued Remington because of an injury he received when his 700 misfired and Mr Collins won 17 million $$ (the rifle also misfired on the witness stand) Remington issued a recall for the model 700s.

The recall "quietly died" after Remington learned that it was going to cost them $22.7 million $$ to recall & repair all the defective #700s they had produced and sold.

Remington now publicly denies any problem or unusual danger associated with the model 700s.

A newer model "700 X Mark Pro" is now produced and sold by Remington which does not have the faulty trigger connector but the original 700s are still sold and (I believe) no mention is made of the problem or danger of misfires associated with them.

No over-adjustment of the triggers was mentioned at any time in the documentary.

I still have the recording of the documentary & wish I could post it so all could see the video evidence.

P.S. I hate the liberal commie media as much as anybody but I think people that are looking for the truth should know both sides of the issue.

I hope I've dotted all my I's & crossed my T's just right in relating this information so that Remington liars (lawyers) don't come after me for posting this.

Last edited by Striperhound; 02-22-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #20

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I had a .17 700 Rem. go off all by its self. I had it slung over my shoulder hunting desert pigs. I know the problem. I had the trigger set too light. The contact on the sear was just a shadow. I would bet every one of these accidents were related to too much screw driver.

DK