Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Problems with the Rem7oo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Problems with the Rem7oo?

soooo, ive heard a couple of things about the Remington 7oo just randomly firing by itself... without pulling the trigger or something like that... i know yall have heard at least something about it? Anybody have any info or anything about that? I mean, do i need to put an aftermarket trigger or anything.? the make and model im looking at is the Remington 7oo sps... in .308 caliber...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I have always been a Remington rifle fan, BUT they have serious issues. Guns firing upon closing the bolt.

To me the real issue is how the guys are dealing with it. Well, apparently Remington is sticking with their tried and true tactic of ignoring the problem. Just like they did when the 870 barrels were shown to be defective and Remington acted like Soviet comisars and denied there was a problem.

I would not
buy a new Remington razor right now, much less a model 700 or 870

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

A big part of Rems problem is biased newspapers and the anti gun crowd. A woman claimed she accidently killed her son when the rifle she was carrying fired. Why the hell was she pointing a loaded firearm at ther son??? The vultures have jumped all over this looking for deep pockets when she should be charged with negligent homicide. I dont own any Rems but there are a lot of them in use with no problems. Question, were the weapons involved properly maintained and in good repair? Is there really a problem or is an incident being played up in the media by the womans vulture? I have not seen any hard evidence. If there is a real problem, Rem should be held responsible but she should be held accountable too.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5453 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

double posted accident

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-23-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyinline View Post
soooo, ive heard a couple of things about the Remington 7oo just randomly firing by itself... without pulling the trigger or something like that... i know yall have heard at least something about it? Anybody have any info or anything about that? I mean, do i need to put an aftermarket trigger or anything.? the make and model im looking at is the Remington 7oo sps... in .308 caliber...
this is not a fault with remington 700 triggers it is reproduceable by adjusting the adjustable trigger way past its stop on the light side. this is totally caused by people being their own gunsmiths. on my xcr i can adjust the 40-x trigger down to under 1 ounce pull at this point the gun will go off with a harsh share or just close the bolt or flicking the safety. doing so on ANY firearm with an adjustable trigger will cause pretty much the same issue.

anyone claiming that this is a defect with the 700 has been monkeying with their rifle in a unsafe manner and dont want to admit it.

i totally trust my 700. but i dont point a firearm at anyone when loading or unloading or transporting. thats just stupid.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #6

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Default well...

I have one and my uncle has one and many many friends have one...there are no problems with these rifles...Don't let them lie to you buddy....To every story there are two sides...one being manipulative and the other being the truth....you decide for yourself.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
I have one and my uncle has one and many many friends have one...there are no problems with these rifles...Don't let them lie to you buddy....To every story there are two sides...one being manipulative and the other being the truth....you decide for yourself.

YouTube - Remington's Response to CNBC Under Fire
at 4:42 in the video is exactly what happens when the trigger is adjusted on purpose way past the lightest safe trigger setting on a an adjustable trigger. the lying cnbc crew adjusted that rifle to do that on purpose just to bash remington.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #8

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

EXACTLY! all of these "problems" are operator error...the professional gun smiths and testers took the guns and tried to recreate the incidence and they got bunk.

Go out and buy a rem 700 if you think its cool...but really...do stay away from the 710 and 770, lol I just dont like em

Old 12-24-2010, 01:29 AM   #9

Liked 300 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The Remington 700's have had known published problems with trigger and safety issues for many years now. We used to sell them in the sporting section of our family store from the 1950's through the early 1990's. We never had any 700 sold that had the claimed problems recently expounded on. So I think it is extremely rare for the volume sold over the years if it truley exists now. I never had any problems with this model Remington in the past with factory triggers and safety.

Now I shoot a Remington 700 reciever with a Jewell trigger for long range target and I'm in the process of having another caliber rifle built off a billet after marked recievier which is a 700 dimensioned copy with imprivements over the Remington model. Aparently changing to a Jewell, Timney or other after market trigger group is the cure for the supposed problems with the 700 factory tirgger group. The new 700's have the X Mark Pro trigger which is supposed to cure the prior design trigger safety problems as I understand it.

I think the Remmy 700's are just fine as is with the factory trigger groups they have in them. Of course upgrading to an aftermarket trigger just makes them real Sweeeeeet.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Is there a problem with the trigger. I don't know. I am not a gunsmith and I am not a rem 700 expert even though I think I am.

What should Remington do. To save face with the public. Is to offer any 700 a free trigger upgrade to the new crappy xmark pro trigger. That unto itself would have went to greater lengths to keep the buying public thinking remington is god in the rifle world.