Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Hunting Forum (
-   -   Preferred larger game cartridge (elk, moose) (

Uncle Tom 03-02-2009 01:22 AM

Preferred larger game cartridge (elk, moose)
If forced to choice one cartridge, what is your choice for larger game such as elk and moose (excluding dangerous game)?

30-30remchester 03-03-2009 02:11 AM

I have never shot a moose so cant speak of them but have seen lots of elk shot and shot 33 myself not counting the cripples I followed up and finished off as a guide. I have seen them shot with many calibers and bullets. The weakest I ever shot an elk with is 30-30 the largest a 375 H&H. Truth be told it is darn hard to beat the old 30-06 with nosler partition bullets.

dukech1 03-03-2009 10:53 AM

I agree with 30-30, the 30-06 is hard to beat. A lot of people think that more is better, when a well placed shot is all it takes. However, shoot what you are confident with.

stalkingbear 03-03-2009 10:44 PM

It looks like yall left out THE best non-magnum, out to 250 yard cartridge-the good ol 35 Whelen. I call mine Ol Thumper-because it thumps the game without killing my shoulder.

hunter Joe 03-04-2009 04:36 PM

I took a black bear with my 300 win mag. The bear hit the ground, groaned, died. Very humane.

cpttango30 03-04-2009 06:36 PM

While you can use a 30-06 I believe in being a little over gunned for the game. That way if you got into a SHTF moment like having a bear comming at you you can take him out. You never know what your going to run into in elk country.

Bolosniper 04-13-2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 77800)
It looks like yall left out THE best non-magnum, out to 250 yard cartridge-the good ol 35 Whelen. I call mine Ol Thumper-because it thumps the game without killing my shoulder.

Good one brother. Another following that line of thought is the 9.3x62mm Mauser. Ballistic signature of the 375 H&H without the recoil or blast.

I'm partial to the large capacity "Super Magnums" in both .300 and .338 caliber, but don't like the recoil. The incorporation of a 1" Pachmayr Decel Pad, an Edwards Magnum Recoil Reducer, and a muzzle brake tame down these powerhouses to where they can be shot accurately. I can't shoot a rifle accurately if I'm being pounded on by the rifle every time I touch off a round, and I've never seen anyone else who could either.

Out here in southwest Montana most of your shots will be at extended ranges, and you want to deliver enough terminal ballistic energy on the target so that it doesn't run away after being hit if you make a less than perfect shot. It will likely have to travel a long way to suitable concealment before it will bed down which will increase the chance of you losing the game to predators

R-BOLT 04-14-2009 04:40 AM

7 mm Rem. mag. as it is already bought and paid for. Run what ya brung!

freefall 04-17-2009 09:59 PM

.338 Win mag is what I (and MANY other Alaskans carry) but truth to tell the ones I shot with my little .358 Winchester all fell straight down.

MaGoo Idaho 04-23-2009 01:48 PM

WARRING: If you do not have an open mind, or do not like to read quite long (16 pages) of technical information: it would be best to disregard this thread.

I am a member of Guns and Shooting Online "ChuckHawks.Com". One of the better articles I have found on "Hunting Rifles" is on that site. I would suggest that you print it and put in the bathroom, that way it can be read over and over, or used it in place of the TP. It is called "Myth Busting Big Game Calibers" by Greg R. Haskins.

Link to "Myth Busting Big Game Calibers"

Myth Busting Big Game Calibers

If you have not look at Chuck Hawks he has a lot of good articles, and the worst forum that I know of.

Link to Guns and Shooting Online