Prairie Dog Rig
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Prairie Dog Rig

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brasskicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Prairie Dog Rig

I'm going on a cool little prairie dog hunt with my dad this summer. I need a prairie dog rig under 400 dollars and preferably under 350 but if that isn't something that is practical I guess I could find a way to do it. If I don't find anything I'll probably use my 30-06 with brown bear ammo but I don't really want that kind of recoil when I'm shooting all day. Thanks for the help in advance!

__________________
brasskicker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

It would only be a rifle but Marlin x7vh in 22-250 would be my choice. Either that or am x7 in 243. You might also be able to find a savage in that range.

__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasskicker View Post
I'm going on a cool little prairie dog hunt with my dad this summer. I need a prairie dog rig under 400 dollars and preferably under 350 but if that isn't something that is practical I guess I could find a way to do it. If I don't find anything I'll probably use my 30-06 with brown bear ammo but I don't really want that kind of recoil when I'm shooting all day. Thanks for the help in advance!
Marlin makes a 26" heavy barreled 22-250, the XS7VH that is under $400. i have the same rifle in 308, shoots very accurate.

another option is to look around the pawn shops and gun stores for something used.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: wyoming
Posts: 1,799
Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Dogs are small critters. You can shoot hundreds of rounds in a big Dog Town. The 30-06 even with light bullets may lack the long range accuracy need to hit these small targets at over 300 yds. The .22 and 6MM caliber rifles with heavy barrels and good scopes of 10X and up are best. Most Dog shooters will have 2 rifles. During the summer months it gets hot on the High Plains. The rifles heat up fast and cool down slow. It is also a good idea to keep loaded ammo in your cooler. Dog populations are down in most Western states due the plague. Don't touch any dead dogs or camp near Dog Towns. Good Luck.

__________________
Durangokid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brasskicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had the x7 on my list of possibilities I also would like to know how you think the axis stacks up against the x7. Also anyone have experience with the handi rifle? I was thinking about buying it in .223 and getting a 45-70 barrel later on because I was already planning on buying the 45-70 this summer anyways. I guess I could get the .223 now for dogs and wait on the 45-70. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

__________________
brasskicker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
Dogs are small critters. You can shoot hundreds of rounds in a big Dog Town. The 30-06 even with light bullets may lack the long range accuracy need to hit these small targets at over 300 yds. The .22 and 6MM caliber rifles with heavy barrels and good scopes of 10X and up are best. Most Dog shooters will have 2 rifles. During the summer months it gets hot on the High Plains. The rifles heat up fast and cool down slow. It is also a good idea to keep loaded ammo in your cooler. Dog populations are down in most Western states due the plague. Don't touch any dead dogs or camp near Dog Towns. Good Luck.
Good bipods are also needed.....or sand bags.
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasskicker
Thanks everyone for the replies. I had the x7 on my list of possibilities I also would like to know how you think the axis stacks up against the x7. Also anyone have experience with the handi rifle? I was thinking about buying it in .223 and getting a 45-70 barrel later on because I was already planning on buying the 45-70 this summer anyways. I guess I could get the .223 now for dogs and wait on the 45-70. Any thoughts? Thanks again.
The x7 will blow the axxis out of the water anyday. Handi rifles are a good gun. If I was you I'd get it in 22-250 or 243. Both has more range and power than the 223 and both are great varmint rounds in their own rights. 243 is also a good deer cartidge
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brasskicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

The x7 will blow the axxis out of the water anyday. Handi rifles are a good gun. If I was you I'd get it in 22-250 or 243. Both has more range and power than the 223 and both are great varmint rounds in their own rights. 243 is also a good deer cartidge
Well telling by your name I can tell you are a fan already but what makes it better. I completely believe you and have no reason not to I'd just like to hear what you like better about the x7. Also .223 ammo is available in bulk. Is it still a better route to go with 22-250?
__________________
brasskicker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasskicker

Well telling by your name I can tell you are a fan already but what makes it better. I completely believe you and have no reason not to I'd just like to hear what you like better about the x7. Also .223 ammo is available in bulk. Is it still a better route to go with 22-250?
Better stocks, hell of alot better trigger, better riflings so therefore more accurate, you can use any model 70 win scope mounts, pillar bedded factory, better butt pad, better customer service, better/smoother bolt, and it has a cocking indicated in plain sight on the bolt head base. I also think the safety is better located as well.....but that's just me and the fact I have a surgically repaired right wrist. As to ammo-ya bulks good but 22-250 has such a wide range of ammo choices-espcially to a reloader-that it makes up for it.
__________________

Last edited by Marlinman; 06-18-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
brasskicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Better stocks, hell of alot better trigger, better riflings so therefore more accurate, you can use any model 70 win scope mounts, pillar bedded factory, better butt pad, better customer service, better/smoother bolt, and it has a cocking indicated in plain sight on the bolt head base. I also think the safety is better located as well.....but that's just me and the fact I have a surgically repaired right wrist. As to ammo-ya bulks good but 22-250 has such a wide range of ammo choices-espcially to a reloader-that it makes up for it.
Thanks for your input. Very helpful!
__________________
brasskicker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a place to prairie dog hunt in ND or SD wildfan1833 Hunting Forum 3 02-14-2012 04:08 AM
Prairie Dogs BB98338 Hunting Forum 3 10-10-2011 04:03 PM
Prairie Dog Hunting. amoroque Hunting Forum 2 06-21-2010 07:37 PM
Prairie Dog Hunt Jo da Plumbr The Club House 8 03-10-2010 09:56 PM
prairie dogs gloks4life Hunting Forum 13 09-20-2009 06:59 PM