Popular knives, size comparison
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Popular knives, size comparison

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Popular knives, size comparison

Here are some popular knives for size comparison.
whats your favorite wilderness knife, steel, blade shape etc..?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

whats your favorite knife

Old 05-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 751 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 49

This is my favorite http://graymanknives.com/suenami.html

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #4

Liked 4703 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 1437

Default CRKT Blue Ripple

Just Got this Beauty in this week!

image.jpg  

Old 06-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
This is my favorite http://graymanknives.com/suenami.html

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
expensive for 1095 steel

Old 06-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1552 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 7926

I keep a buck 119 Special, and a 105 Pathfinder in the hunting pack at all times. The Pathfinder is a good 5 inch fixed blade for more delicate tasks during field dressing. The 119 is the "Brute Force" option as it is 6.5 inches with a thicker, heavier blade. It is used for opening the rib cage on a deer, or removing feet from rabbits while skinning.

both are about 25 years old, and they do look like they have been used, but they are not used up. I don't care about pretty, how well they do the job I need them to is what matters. Both have served me well from finishing off snapping turtles in NC, to quartering an elk in CO. Can't ask for more than that IMHO.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1495 Times on 1013 Posts
Likes Given: 520

For EDC I like a buck 110, Schrade sharpfinger or Gerber WalloWalla. All three knifes carry easy. They are inexpensive to replace when I use my knife for a chisel. I bought a cordless sawsall for deer bones and heavy stuff.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Swiss Army Cadet in my pocket, Fully serrated Spyderco Delica clipped in the other for bigger jobs. Have to balance quality with cost in case something happens to one or both.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #9

Liked 219 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 41

A cheap winchester goes on my belt everymorning. I suppose it is a survival knife as I use it everyday for about everything something else could do better.
Keep a buck in my camper and a Kbar in the truck.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #10

Liked 222 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Most of my deer (and a bunch of others my buds tagged) were done with a home made drop point (bottom one in pic), fashioned at work and home, when I was newly married and broke. The Japanese made blade I got from a bud's dad, was of an upswept type (like a Buck Kalinga). The wood is just oak from a flooring project an engineer had (he was stopped in the middle of the project when he cut some fingers off LOL- they got reattached). The brass pc was formed with a file, took a few TV shows to get that done (sitting in the chair). All of it is glued together, some special stuff my materials science guy in advanced development had. The blade had holes through the handle area, so I drilled into the wood on the backsides, to form a bit of a glue "rivet". I cured the wood in an oven, before glue/clamp/cure of adhesive. It looks like crap............but then this was made 24 yrs ago, and has cleaned hundreds of geese, doves rabbits and close to 100 deer.
Sharp SOB, worked so well I never "upgraded". The lines aint all that great but it is what it is, couldn't do much more with it.

Did buy a Benchmade 530 for pocket carry, I worked the heck out of it and finally nuked it scrapping flash from a large die at work. Tired of it (11 yrs or so) so just dumped it in the trash and got a beater CRKT drop point M21-02G. It's got a heavier spine that the BM so might be "better" for deer. I only did a couple with the 530, worked just fine.

Dunno.....not really into "big" knives, there's a guy who makes knives nearby and I snagged one of his "neck knife" models. Half Breed is the name of his company/shop. It's the one at the top in the pic.
I go along side the sternum and up through the pelvic canal. No need for saw or axe, or kicking some thick/big fixed blade to "break bone".

I field dress a decent deer in about 5 mins, with no blood past my wrists...........with medium to small knives. Might have to keen up more, but then I tend to work the same area of the knife no matter what, so a bigger needs the same treatment. Maybe the wrong way to go about it, but it works.

Last edited by Hookeye; 06-10-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This