Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Poodles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Poodles

What breed or mix of poodle is best for hunting and I need a dog that does not shed

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #2

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

The Labradoodle (no joke) is a recognized breed by some registries that should make good bird dog/retrievers. Contact the Continental Kennel Club in Louisiana for breeders and other info. I believe their site is www.continentalkennelclub.com If they can't help you google Labradoodle.
cottontop

Last edited by cottontop; 09-09-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #3

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

A Standard Poodle will make for a good bird dog for both waterfowl retriever and upland bird flusher/retriever. They are very smart and eager to learn, but like many working dogs have high energy. My mom has a Standard Poodle and she's a very good dog (although we don't hunt her). She learns very quickly.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #4

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

What type of hunting? Basset hounds don't shed much either.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

+1 to the standard Poodle! They are the original retriever/water dog and HIGHLY intelligent....a lot of times they are smarter than their owners...and this leads to trouble.

I will NOT suggest the Labradoodle...its a damn mutt, not that mutts are bad dogs. But i refuse to pay $1000-$1500 for a mutt. HELL i wont pay that for a "pure breed"! Paid $50 for my Champion Yella!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #6

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Even these designer breeds shed. Anything with hair sheds to some degree. If you're doing it because of allergies ya might want to think again, most people that have dog allergies are allergic to the dander not the fur.

Poodles are great, intelligent dogs. But their mentality and temperament is a bit different from what one would expect. Read up on them and learn what you will have to do to get them right before you decide on a pup.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

fmj Likes This 
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #7

Liked 822 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Standard Poodle, when I was a kid, we had one & he was the best pure hunting dog as you ever seen............

When all else fails.