Poaching wildlife after hunting season, questions? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Poaching wildlife after hunting season, questions?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,155
Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

I don't poach; when i was a kid, we ALL spotlighted the bunnies. The guys that kept the spotlight when they went after deer; those are the guys who either still do it or got caught or both. As long as it is deer (around here where they are overpopulated in most areas) and it is done in a reasonably safe manner (not close to houses or camping areas, shotguns not rifles) I don't have much of a problem with it. I guess i've never lived anywhere with enough "poaching" to impact the deer population noticeably. As far as duck "poaching", there need to be a lot more warnings about this species and not the other species & such, IMO.

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Juan,Puerto Rico
Posts: 379
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Poaching is big crime, look at the Japs depleting the seas from sharks just to take the fins for soup, or the whale hunters around the globe, every ecosystem is a very delicate system and if you abuse it, what you will leave for your future generations to enjoy?

I'm not a tree huger, but I believe that a balance must be met in order to be able to enjoy the sport in the future, if some irresponsible pack of poachers kills every deer in an area, then when season is back, there will not be any deer for the law abiding hunters to hunt and it may take yrs to recover if it ever recover.

One good example is the buffalo, who can hunt them now?, even see one?, rules are there to be followed by everyone. you may think that 1 deer is not a biggie, but if 1000 guys do the same then there won't be any deers.

It's all about proper resource management, I would go farther and say that if someone is caught poaching, they should mandatory serve at least 10yrs in jail without parole, and face a $100k fine.

Don't want your truck taken away, don't poach.

__________________
Better be judged by 12 than carried by 6

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper
Mandy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,433
Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Free Range.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I don't poach; when i was a kid, we ALL spotlighted the bunnies. The guys that kept the spotlight when they went after deer; those are the guys who either still do it or got caught or both. As long as it is deer (around here where they are overpopulated in most areas) and it is done in a reasonably safe manner (not close to houses or camping areas, shotguns not rifles) I don't have much of a problem with it. I guess i've never lived anywhere with enough "poaching" to impact the deer population noticeably. As far as duck "poaching", there need to be a lot more warnings about this species and not the other species & such, IMO.
I remember my father telling of a time that his father gave him the shot gun an two shot shells to go duck hunting. His father told him, an don't you come back with only two ducks........my father allways brought along his favorite female french hen tied with a string.
__________________

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonewolf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 528
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I dont POACH! never had never will...........if a man has 1 car and his take a deer out of season and they take his car how he gonna get to WORK? a fine would be alot better 1500 the first then it DOUBLES.

__________________
lonewolf101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,433
Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default 1930's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
I dont POACH! never had never will...........if a man has 1 car and his take a deer out of season and they take his car how he gonna get to WORK? a fine would be alot better 1500 the first then it DOUBLES.
Seems you don't know what It is means to go hongry.......12+ kids to feed during hard times.......Your times coming.... John Russell ,You never ET dog. That pet you own maybe the meal you have tommorrow....
__________________

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Juan,Puerto Rico
Posts: 379
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

I can understand some guy desperate enough to feed his family to do some breaking of the law, but to say that you have 12 kids to feed and no work, IMO it's a irresponsibility to have more kids than you can maintain in a proper decent manner, maybe 1 kid would be enough in that case and maybe none.

Not everyone has a car in the world and I know many low income workers that use public transportation to go to work on a daily basis thou they don't break the law, so a car or truck isn't a necessary item to live decently and work.

For example: Last week this guy was bugging me all week to give him a chance to work at any of my jobsites and that he was proficient in many trades, so he started last friday and promised to finish the work assigned to him by the end of the day, at 2:00 pm he was getting ready to leave and work was a long way from being finished, I gave him a chance to finish it on saturday and he agreed to do so, I called him saturday morning at about 10:00am (was supposed to be there at 6:00am) to see how work was going and he said to me that he was at home 'cause his car broke down, lame excuse and never thought about letting me know!!, I reminded him that the work needed to be done by monday morning so the other crews can develop more work so he can do more work too and he said that he'll call me back in 1 hr to let me know what he was going to do and also told me that he doesn't work on sundays so I told him that if he doesn't work on sundays, then the work must be finished today at any time he wished but by monday work had to be finished.
He called me today (monday) at 11:00am asking how things are and that he'll show to work later in the day, needless to say, I fired him, I just told him to forget about it since he was supposed to call me 2 days ago and I was loosing money in penalties due to him so I hired some other guy to finish the work and work the rest of the project.

My point is that many people make excuses for their faults and want everything given to them, so they can have an easy life and work the least they can, if you are a millionaire, then feeding 20 kids shouldn't be a problem, but if you live on welfare, maybe more than 2 kids would be irresponsible IMO.

All you need is the will to work and get your act together, when SHTF day comes and anarchy is rampant then poaching would be the least of everybody's problems, and fuel for your vehicle will probably be out of the question, then I wouldn't mind if you break some poaching laws or loot a wallmart, until then, respect the law and you can keep your belongings and won't be fined or hauled to jail.

PS: when I say You, I refer to anyone in general terms, not someone specifically

__________________
Better be judged by 12 than carried by 6

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper
Mandy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,155
Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
My point is that many people make excuses for their faults and want everything given to them, so they can have an easy life and work the least they can, if you are a millionaire, then feeding 20 kids shouldn't be a problem, but if you live on welfare, maybe more than 2 kids would be irresponsible IMO.
Not all kids are born on purpose, and once they are here you can't just eat feed them to their siblings. Soylent Green isn't on the market yet. If you end up in a crappy spot with too many kids to feed & need to poach a deer to keep them fed, it doesn't much matter about the "shoulda" and "woulda" aspects of the situation.

That said, most poaching i'm familiar with isn't tightly connected to putting food on the table, at least not as its primary purpose for MOST of the regular poachers (spotlighting, season-ish) i've known.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,433
Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Titanic......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
I can understand some guy desperate enough to feed his family to do some breaking of the law, but to say that you have 12 kids to feed and no work, IMO it's a irresponsibility to have more kids than you can maintain in a proper decent manner, maybe 1 kid would be enough in that case and maybe none.

Not everyone has a car in the world and I know many low income workers that use public transportation to go to work on a daily basis thou they don't break the law, so a car or truck isn't a necessary item to live decently and work.

For example: Last week this guy was bugging me all week to give him a chance to work at any of my jobsites and that he was proficient in many trades, so he started last friday and promised to finish the work assigned to him by the end of the day, at 2:00 pm he was getting ready to leave and work was a long way from being finished, I gave him a chance to finish it on saturday and he agreed to do so, I called him saturday morning at about 10:00am (was supposed to be there at 6:00am) to see how work was going and he said to me that he was at home 'cause his car broke down, lame excuse and never thought about letting me know!!, I reminded him that the work needed to be done by monday morning so the other crews can develop more work so he can do more work too and he said that he'll call me back in 1 hr to let me know what he was going to do and also told me that he doesn't work on sundays so I told him that if he doesn't work on sundays, then the work must be finished today at any time he wished but by monday work had to be finished.
He called me today (monday) at 11:00am asking how things are and that he'll show to work later in the day, needless to say, I fired him, I just told him to forget about it since he was supposed to call me 2 days ago and I was loosing money in penalties due to him so I hired some other guy to finish the work and work the rest of the project.

My point is that many people make excuses for their faults and want everything given to them, so they can have an easy life and work the least they can, if you are a millionaire, then feeding 20 kids shouldn't be a problem, but if you live on welfare, maybe more than 2 kids would be irresponsible IMO.

All you need is the will to work and get your act together, when SHTF day comes and anarchy is rampant then poaching would be the least of everybody's problems, and fuel for your vehicle will probably be out of the question, then I wouldn't mind if you break some poaching laws or loot a wallmart, until then, respect the law and you can keep your belongings and won't be fined or hauled to jail.

PS: when I say You, I refer to anyone in general terms, not someone specifically
I can't and won't reply to this because you haven't Been there. And neither have I.... Hell"s coming to pay a visit and you my friend are invited to the Party...... Nature takes care of her own....
__________________

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #29
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,918
Liked 7793 Times on 4680 Posts
Likes Given: 9795

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Not all kids are born on purpose, and once they are here you can't just eat feed them to their siblings. Soylent Green isn't on the market yet.
Okay, I agree some people have little bundles of 'surprises'. But, after once or twice, one should have figured out how to properly use birth control. It's free in my county at the Department of Health. There is no reason to have 12 children that were 'not born on purpose'.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kenhesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE, Ia
Posts: 350
Default

This thread brings up some pretty good points! My thoughts on this topic are sorta old school. I guess thats because I'm old.

I think the punishment should fit the crime. If someone feels the need to harvest an animal out of season, thats their choice. If they get caught then make e'm pay.

Around here what a neighbor does on his own farm is none of my business. If someone I don't know is on my land with a weapon, the DNR would be the least of their worries.

I'm sure some people would recommend lethal injection for poaching, bet it would stop them from trying that again.

I favor a fine, big as you want. My problem is with the government confiscating a persons property. Our govt is getting folks comfortable with this concept. You do this and we take your car, do this and we seize your house & bank account.

What if one day they outlaw something you really want to keep. Like your favorite revolver or that 30 rd mag, (could happen?). Then tie the punishment for having it into the drug laws. We found this 30 rd mag on your property, so we will be seizing everything you own, have a nice day!

I'm no history buff but I've always thought part of that revolutionary war thing, was about the powers that be, stealing your stuff?

JMHO, Ken

__________________

"The older I get, The better I was"

kenhesr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
First day of hunting season Dzscubie The Club House 7 12-13-2010 07:40 PM
Come HUNT at: Brodax Wildlife Solutions! ghostndawoodz Hunting Forum 3 04-15-2010 06:02 PM
Went out Alone First season,Got one ninjatoth Hunting Forum 15 12-30-2009 04:09 PM
AR season is Here!!!! mrasgt AR-15 Discussion 0 06-04-2009 03:22 AM
New Government = Bad for Wildlife Dillinger The Club House 9 02-27-2009 06:17 AM