Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Poaching wildlife after hunting season, questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

Deep breathes RJD... For what it is worth, in many states they can and do take your car in the event of a drunk driving charge... Many impound lots are full of cars collected under these circumstances... That is, if you're lucky enough they catch you while there is still a vehicle worthy of confiscating. I think the math on this one is simple... break the law+get caught= consequences. Laws are not enacted by faceless politicians but by people we elect to help better our situations. Government serves its constituents, not the other way around. Poaching is illegal for a lot of reasons, some are not so obvious, but crimes of this nature should carry heavy consequences. If I were caught harvesting a deer, for instance, outside of season I would not be persuaded to not do it again with a small fine or slap on the wrist. Take my gun or quad and you've got my attention. Especially true for the "professional poacher..."

Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Yes poaching is wrong but you should not have your possesions confiscated. They started that with drug busts now hunting, where will it stop? They don't take your shoes for J walking........yet. You aren't relieved of your belongings if you murder a fellow human but if you illegally kill an animal they can take your stuff.

Get caught drinking and driving they don't take your car..........yet. I think government has way to much power and I don't like the idea of giving them more. The problem is once you let them do it for this crime then they start doing it for everything. And they will do it slowly adding to the list just like they do for taxes and gun control. They don't want the frog to jump out of the pot.
that a good point there! thats why I dont AGREE with all that ABUSE they can dish out to ya! for a frigging deer you lose you car or truck! THATS JUST WRONG ABUSE OF POWER thats what that is.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It all comes down to a respect for the laws of the land. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. And yes, RJD, in Texas at least, LEOs can take some of your possessions if you commit murder, if they are used in the commission of the murder.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Last edited by Glasshartt; 07-11-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

I got no issue with it. Hunting is a huge industry in wis. a LOT of businesses rely on hunting fishing to stay open people rely on it for their jobs the state relies on it to keep from having to raise your taxes.

If they can recoup just a fraction of the cost poaching has on the statewide private economy and livilihoods of honest hard working folks do it. I dont see how poaching is any different than some slob walking into a store and robbing it at gunpoint.

The previous governor and democrats took a huge political hit fir their epic mismanagement of wisconsin's wildlife

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
that a good point there! thats why I dont AGREE with all that ABUSE they can dish out to ya! for a frigging deer you lose you car or truck! THATS JUST WRONG ABUSE OF POWER thats what that is.

If the car/truck/quad was used in the commission of the crime, why would it NOT be subject to forfeiture? I suppose following your line of thinking only the ammo should be forfeit because that is what really killed the deer?

Law of the Land. You don't get to play both sides of it when it suits you.

JD

Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #16

Liked 2342 Times on 1048 Posts
Likes Given: 2255

Like I said where does it stop. Everytime we let them do this they scale it up. They won't stop with drugs and poaching. Soon if you post something they don't like they'll take your computers and phones. Look what the IRS can do and they don't have to prove anything in court. I'm just looking at the governments past history. I'm not defending poaching.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I dont look at poaching as a very serious crime! and I dont like such a punishment like taking a man property its not like your killing a HUMAN BEING! it just adds up to BIG GOVT and I dont need or want govt in my life!.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Even SOME law enforcement agencies need a financial incentive sometimes. Drug seizures have probably funded many a "tactical unit" that the LEO agency couldn't have afforded otherwise; i would assume the wildlife enforcement agencies are in a similar system. This situation has existed at least since the days of the Sheriffs in England; that alone doesn't make it right, admittedly.

You know, i bet speeders would slow down a good bit if the third traffic ticket cost them their car; maybe that will happen as traffic congestion increases.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #19
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8357

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
Well, it's NOt "a frigging deer". If the consequences for poaching were light, then it would add up to thousands of "frigging deer". Unless, of course, you are implying only YOU should be allowed to poach. I don't believe the laws are too harsh. If you want to be responsible enough to own a gun and hunt, then the laws should be followed. It's people who poach and break other gun laws that give gun owners a bad reputation.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

I had a cousin (actually, dad was from a large family- I had 45 cousins) that was an inveterate poacher, He would kill about 30 deer a year. In season, out of season, illegal firearms, spotlighting, etc. Got caught with a doe the opening day of BUCK season. Cost him his license, $5000 fine, shotgun- but his CAR being confiscated and sold by the sheriff was what made him stop.

BTW, here in VA, seizures for violation of a state law- the funds- by law- go to one place- the State Literary Fund. Buys books for schools and libraries.

Don't mess with the Perch Police, or the Deer Deputies. Poaching is a major problem, there ARE people that are poaching for cash (not survival) and it is RARELY an "accidental" crime.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt