Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Poaching wildlife after hunting season, questions? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/poaching-wildlife-after-hunting-season-questions-45025/)

lonewolf101 07-11-2011 01:52 PM

Poaching wildlife after hunting season, questions?

I herd that in Wisconsin where I live that if a person shots and kills say a deer out of season and you get caught by the DNR they have the power to fine you max.1500, you wont be able to hunt,fish or trap for 5 years and say the deer touches the pick up bed you put it in the bed the DNR can take your truck away! now my qustion is is this to extream? I mean they fine you take your hunting fishing trapping away and now your truck!do you think that they should have that much POWER? I think the DNR should have less power and authority on what they can do.

Sniper03 07-11-2011 02:22 PM

Nope,

If you think that is tough! Tennessee has similar laws!
You will be also fined, your gun taken and sold at auction. And if your vehicle is involved they can take it also. I know some guys that were running another guys trout line in the middle of the night. TWRA caught them. They were arrested and Jailed, lost their boat and motor and they were going to take the truck and trailer since the boat had been transported to the lake to commit the crime. I am not clear if they finally got the truck and trailer but it was towed and impounded? Moral of the story do not violate the law. If it was in the case of starving I could understand but I do not think we are there yet!
If people were allowed to get by with poaching the hunting season would not be near as good if good at all, for those of us who follow the law and pay our license fees to support the wildlife programs.

Car54 07-11-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewolf101 (Post 538791)
I herd that in Wisconsin where I live that if a person shots and kills say a deer out of season and you get caught by the DNR they have the power to fine you max.1500, you wont be able to hunt,fish or trap for 5 years and say the deer touches the pick up bed you put it in the bed the DNR can take your truck away! now my qustion is is this to extream? I mean they fine you take your hunting fishing trapping away and now your truck!do you think that they should have that much POWER? I think the DNR should have less power and authority on what they can do.

Good, poaching and illegal harvesting is wrong. There has to be some control over hunting and fishing.

Without some form of extreme penalties, there would be more poaching and illegal activities. Let's face it if someone takes the privilege of hunting away for 5 years, what's to stop that person from going out and hunting without a license. Take away something of value, most poachers won't do it again, then again there are some professional poachers who will poach no matter what.

Dillinger 07-11-2011 02:28 PM

It's called poaching for a reason. Do you object to police seizing cars and boats of drug dealers?

Yes, if you get caught poaching you should face very stiff penalties. there is a season to hunt, you have made the choice to hunt outside of that season. You already have every technological advantage under the sun, you want have free reign to hunt to extinction as well?

No, I dont feel the punishment is too harsh. There should be extenuating circumstances however if the vehicle is the only one the family has for work/transport and loss would result in undo hardship.

JD

dunerunner 07-11-2011 02:29 PM

Not extreme at all. In Oregon, I believe they can impose a fine and confiscate everything involved in the commission of the crime. Your boat, truck, rifle, pistol, fishing gear, hunting knife, everything; if you choose to poach, fish for and keep undersized or protected species or exceed the bag limit.

lonewolf101 07-11-2011 02:30 PM

I think thats in every State! its just some hunting laws are STUPID! if you put up a ground blind now you have to put a 144 sq.inch hunting orange square on all sides!.The DNR is not to friendly to hunters in Wis. the license go up every year it seams bag limets are low to get a bear lic. in this State take about 5 8 years!

Car54 07-11-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewolf101 (Post 538818)
I think thats in every State! its just some hunting laws are STUPID! if you put up a ground blind now you have to put a 144 sq.inch hunting orange square on all sides!.The DNR is not to friendly to hunters in Wis. the license go up every year it seams bag limets are low to get a bear lic. in this State take about 5 8 years!

The blaze orange is for a hunters protection from other hunters. If they see the orange on the blind, they should think that it's occupied and not shoot in that direction.

danf_fl 07-11-2011 02:59 PM

Isn't Wisconsin the latest to get CCW?

That came about by the voters. The regulations have to be passed by the Wisconsin government. Legal means by bill passage can change things.

I agree that poaching is not morally or ethically correct.

rjd3282 07-11-2011 03:31 PM

Yes poaching is wrong but you should not have your possesions confiscated. They started that with drug busts now hunting, where will it stop? They don't take your shoes for J walking........yet. You aren't relieved of your belongings if you murder a fellow human but if you illegally kill an animal they can take your stuff. :confused:

Get caught drinking and driving they don't take your car..........yet. I think government has way to much power and I don't like the idea of giving them more. The problem is once you let them do it for this crime then they start doing it for everything. And they will do it slowly adding to the list just like they do for taxes and gun control. They don't want the frog to jump out of the pot.

willshoum 07-11-2011 04:01 PM

Poached Eggs.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewolf101 (Post 538791)

Please define poaching and or surviving. There is a difference. Poaching in England on the Kings land. These people were looking to survive because thier government taxed them into starvation......Whats in my yard is mine and if it is edidble, guess what. Keep your dog and cat on a leash.