pigs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > pigs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default pigs

Who hunts them on a regular basis? I have a pack of wild pigs that are ransacking my land and I need to take them down. California has no daily or bag limit on wild pigs. Tags are $18/ea and there is no limit on how many you can buy.

What are good techniques to use? What is the best season to take them? What is the best time of day? Do I need to get high end, super expanding ammo to take them, or will some decent .308 soft points work?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hunting hogs is similar to hunting anything else. Know the area; scout the area.
Look for wallows and prints. You will need to get a feel for what your local pigs are doing. For How to hunt pigs that is all I got for you. I am a lousy pig hunter.
For your rifle ammo, Standard hunting rounds will be fine. People take hogs with handguns of .357 and .44 frequently. Just remember that they are tough animals with thick skulls. 5 rounds of .308 should bring down even HOGZILLA

Old 10-20-2007, 05:50 AM   #3

Default Hog hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Who hunts them on a regular basis? I have a pack of wild pigs that are ransacking my land and I need to take them down. California has no daily or bag limit on wild pigs. Tags are $18/ea and there is no limit on how many you can buy.

What are good techniques to use? What is the best season to take them? What is the best time of day? Do I need to get high end, super expanding ammo to take them, or will some decent .308 soft points work?
I don't know if there is anything to it but I've done my best hunting at morning and late afternoon, kinda like deer, A 308 with soft points is more than enough to take down a hog, they are heavy boned and solid as a rock, But a 308 will make short work of that, I guess if you got to have somthing beating up you property, you are lucky to have it tast so good, Good luck.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-20-2007, 06:17 AM   #4

While wild hogs do taste good, he is far from lucky to have them tearing up his land. Around here they are a nuscense. They tear up alot of land FAST. A small heard (2-5 hogs) can tear up several acers overnight, and a large heard....well it's bad. Many of the farmers around here will tell anyone that is on their land to shoot them, as many as they can! Last year they got so bad at the plant that I work at we started traping them. We got 23 in just 3 weeks, and that was just some of the ones that would get under the fence and come inside the plant. Pork chops and sausage was on the menu far a long time.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
While wild hogs do taste good, he is far from lucky to have them tearing up his land. Around here they are a nuscense. They tear up alot of land FAST. A small heard (2-5 hogs) can tear up several acers overnight, and a large heard....well it's bad. Many of the farmers around here will tell anyone that is on their land to shoot them, as many as they can! Last year they got so bad at the plant that I work at we started traping them. We got 23 in just 3 weeks, and that was just some of the ones that would get under the fence and come inside the plant. Pork chops and sausage was on the menu far a long time.
Are you in Northern California?

The valley that our land sits in and the next few valleys down are the most fertile pig area in the state of California. It is all private land though, and most of the land owners frown on having random people traipsing through their property, so reported numbers remain low. The guy that owns several hundred acres that are adjoining to ours said that I could go nuts on his property too. If my rifle ever comes in, a buddy and I are going to spend a few weekends up there going all Rambo on the pigs. If anyone in Northern Cali wants some wild pork, PM me, we can arrange for a pick up when we start the eradication. I'm half tempted to get a depredation permit, but you're supposed to turn all animals killed under the permit over to the state. I know way too many people that would be happy to take loins, chops and sausage off of my hands.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #6

No ,Thank God, I'm im Texas.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
No ,Thank God, I'm im Texas.
By Northern California, I mean Southern Oregon. It would be a really nice area if it weren't attached to the rest of the state.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2258 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

i usually kill 15-25 hogs a year, mostly with a .50 caliber muzzleloader. Hogs are taking over south western OK. Deer do not co-exist with large numbers of hogs. The hogs root up the graze, eat up the acorns and stink up the ponds. i have seen hogs tear up 3-5 acres of grass or wheat in one night.

Yep, they are good to eat.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:14 AM   #9

Default Pigs Gallore

I have hunted Pigs a couple of times, Archery and Handgun(454.casull) both stopped them in their tracks. My buddies used: Marlin Lever action in .44 Mag., Chinese SKS, .22-250. All of these were stoppers. We found that if you hid near the trail to and from water and feed the Pigs show up. Then if you sit the gut piles the others come to eat what is left over! Way fun stuff!!!

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)