Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Pig Gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/pig-gun-21066/)

JoshX3Magazine 12-13-2009 01:01 AM

Pig Gun?

Hey guys...a friend and I have been discussing some feral pig hunting lately and I don't honestly know if I have the gun for it.

If you could build the ideal gun for hunting some big feral pigs, what weapon and round would you recommend?

Just looking for some advice, as I have precious little experience with the whole shooting pig thing.

Thanks!

Josh

jpattersonnh 12-13-2009 01:22 AM

What calibers do you have?? I like 6.5x55 w/ 129gr to 160gr bonded or partitions. A 175gr Seirra pro hunter works great in 8x57. 140gr Barnes XFB 7mm Rem Mag for larger ones. 165gr partition in .308 Winchester. Bullet construction is as important as anything else. They are tough little bastards.

Edit: We have some European boar here, very few. A good .223 Barnes or partition will take them, and a .357 w/ 158gr JSP in a handgun makes it fun.
Sorry, if you are shooting cover, go w/ open sights and a heavy bullet. I use a 9.3x57 w/ 286gr in that situation.

mrm14 12-13-2009 01:50 AM

I have a situation through a quad runners club that we get to go on private farmers/ranchers land and exterminate wild pigs that are destroying their land and daminging their livelehood. I use a Springfield M1A with Hi cap magazines and kill literally hundrededs of these creatures in 2 day weekends at least twice a year. The M1A is very effective and is in .308 Win. caliber. This is not sport and if not on private land would be illeagle in this state if the farmer didn't have arrangements with fish and game to do so. So I assume. These are very large 40,000 + acre ranches/farms. The meat is recovered somewhat by ranch hands but most is left to rot as far as I kinow. I collect none. 175 gr. boat tail hollow points. I think I've said too much.

lonyaeger 12-13-2009 03:26 AM

The feral hogs will eat their fallen brothers in most cases, so not too much worry about what happens to the leftovers.

I haven't eaten feral hogs myself, but I hear from those who know that the smaller ones are good eatin'.

lonyaeger 12-13-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshX3Magazine (Post 198651)
Hey guys...a friend and I have been discussing some feral pig hunting lately and I don't honestly know if I have the gun for it.

If you could build the ideal gun for hunting some big feral pigs, what weapon and round would you recommend?

Just looking for some advice, as I have precious little experience with the whole shooting pig thing.

Thanks!

Josh

A paintball gun will be ineffective on feral hogs, I would think, other than to mark them for future shooters.

***kidding***

jpattersonnh 12-13-2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 198671)
175 gr. boat tail hollow points. I think I've said too much.

I would not suggest a match bullet!! Use a bullet that is constructed for the purpose.

mrm14 12-13-2009 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 198742)
I would not suggest a match bullet!! Use a bullet that is constructed for the purpose.

Not going to waste my $$$ for ammo on extermination. However your right, to be ethical we should be using a bullet that has better expansion characteristics and shreds vitals efficiently so there is little to no chance of suffering of the animal. The boar out here are smaller and more Havalina like critters and mean as shat little SOB's. What I use for this is what I reload and it more than seems to put them down real quick. If it were otherwise, I would buy a bullet componet that had more expansion characteristics.

JoshX3Magazine 12-13-2009 10:36 AM

Funny you should mention...

You know, marking animals for slaughter and trees for the forest service was sorta how paintball was invented since you mention that sorta thing. :) That's what the first paintball gun was made for. Some guys sitting around one day got in an argument over who could survive the meltdown of civilization as we know it and they decided to put their money where their mouths were. They found paint pistols in this forest service catalog and ordered a bunch and went into the woods to shoot it out.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyways...I have an AR in 5.56 and a Romanian AK in 7.62x39 but I don't consider either one suited for either deer or other game of significant size.

I was considering a .308, maybe a fun project gun like a Saiga .308 or perhaps an AR build if I did this when I had a little more cash.

lonyaeger 12-13-2009 02:58 PM

Didn't know that about the origin of paintball. My Dad was a forester and used to mark trees for thinning with a paint gun all the time. Cool!

David26 12-13-2009 03:28 PM

Funest way to hunt hog is with a bunch of dogs and a sharp knife no gun needed.