Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > The perfect lightweight rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The perfect lightweight rifle

I am new to the hunting experience and looking for a lightweigth rifle that will give me no problems on long hikes. I have heard, for an all around caliber, to go with a .270 or a .270 WSM. Being new i am not sure of all the different calibers. My shots are going to be between 250-450 yards. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What is it you're going to be hunting? In Wyoming, it could be anything from prairie dogs to elk (to bears?), so that would be good to know.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

.270 is a lot of round.

That means a long action boltgun. To shave weight you can purchase one with a lightweight synthetic stock and a thinner than normal barrel profile ( referred to as pencil thin or just pencil barrels ).

A wide, heavily padded sling will help with weight distribution.

What are you going after, animal wise??

And how good of a shot are you that you are considering 450 yard shots?

Can you surely and effectively dispatch said animal in a clean and efficient manner at that distance to insure it does not suffer?

JD

Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #4

As JD stated, you're going to end up with a long action if you go with a .270 which equates to more weight. I n my opinion (repeat, in MY opinion) the short mags, super short mags, super duper short mags etc. don't do anything that a plain Jane old fashioned "traditional" round won't do. I'd look to something in 6.5mm or 7mm caliber for the ranges you are mentioning.

Those calibers have the best selection of bullets with good sectional density, which in turn equates to good ballistic coefficient.

If I were faced with a similar quest, given your area and range requirements, I'd look hard at any number of manufacturers that offer a light weight barreled short action, synthetic stocked rifle in 7MM-08. Others may offer better alternatives.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #5

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Quick catalogue search - Remington only

Remington-Arms-Model-Seven-CDL-Centerfire-Rifle

More of a woods rifle; shot-action, shorter stock for easy handling and fast pointing. Good for shorter ranges.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Mountain LSS - Remington Centerfire Rifles

My choice given your needs. Can be had in the long-action .270 or short action 7mm-08. Capable of making longer accurate shots.

As I said, I only looked at Remington, I'm sure there are many other rifles out there that will suit your need.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You might research a tikka t3 lite ss rifle. 6.3 pounds plus your scope. .270 is availible. 30-06 would be my choice.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you don't mind spendin a bit more on a really nice carbine size bolt gun check out the Ruger Gunsite scout rifle. Its got a lightwieght 16" barrel and its in .308. Go to Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle

Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #8

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

What are you going to be shooting?

Yeah, 30.06 is sort of my all around choice for anything,

but I'm a little old fashioned.

How much other gear are you hauling with you?

What's the terrain?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #9

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Again, what game and what constitutes a long hike and type of terrain?
A .270 would not be my 1st choice as it is a long action. I did start w/ a 7mm Rem Mag years ago for the same purpose, though my rifle is a Sierra light Savage. 8.5 pounds w/ scope. I've transitioned to a Husqvarna 1600(small ring '98 action) in 6.5x55. Rifle and scope are under 7 pounds w/ a 22 3/4 inch barrel. I have it set up w/ a 4x32mm ballistic plex reticule scope for up to 300+ yard shots without having to touch anything. You'll get tired walking all day and it is amazing at the time it takes to adjust a scope when a shot does present itself. With other rifles I keep a cheat sheet w/ me to adjust my scope. For example, I am zeroed at 200 yards w/ my 7mm Mag, a 500 yard shot presents itself. Bullet drop will be (fictitious numbers) 18", 4 moa or 16 clicks on a 1/4" scope. You are trying to watch your game, and adjust your scope. Did I just hit 12 or 16 clicks? Damb, I lost count because the game was starting to move and will be out of sight quickly. There is nothing worse then an animal that has been hit low, and not in the vitals and runs. It will die a slow death. Everything is a compromise when picking a hunting rig. The hunters knowledge of his equipment and his skill is the key. There is more to it then a rifle caliber.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #10

I will be hunting mostly antelope and both mule and whitetail deer. Elk is definitley a possibility in the future.

Terrain is pretty rocky is a long mountain range.

I will be hauling an average of 10 lbs worth of gear

As for the 450 top distance, my father in law and i have been doing target practice with his rifle, which i believe is a .300, at 600 with about an 2 inch spread. I am looking to hunt and shoot with my own gun instead of having to borrow one.

Dont know to much on short mags either so i am more than willing to look into them