Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   opinion's on Nikon Pro-staff 3-9 BDC (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/opinions-nikon-pro-staff-3-9-bdc-14220/)

jng2985 05-28-2009 12:38 AM

opinion's on Nikon Pro-staff 3-9 BDC

wondering if any of you have seen it or even better use"d" one.

I would be using it on a weatherby vanguard synthetic 30.06 for white tail and hogs. Longest shot on this lease is ruffly about 110-140 yards.

The whole setup seems to be a cheap adventure, or do you think it would be worth it in the long and get a leupold or swarovski?

skullcrusher 05-28-2009 01:29 AM

While I've never owned a Nikon, I have shot thru a few. I am always impressed with the clarity of the Nikons. A good friend of mine mounts nothing but Nikons on his rifles, and those are the ones I've viewed. Imo, they are good for the money. I don't recall him ever having to replace one. There are other good scopes out there that won't drain your bank account as well. If you can get to a Cabela's or otherwise, you can view many different scopes before you buy.

jng2985 05-28-2009 01:39 AM

lol benifits of living in dallas bassproshop 4 minutes away and cabelas 30 minutes.

I will be checking out others, just I can get a killer deal on the nikon as of right now so idk...

skullcrusher 05-28-2009 01:52 AM

Well, goody for you. :) Basspro=3-1/12 hrs and Cabela's=2 hrs. Heck, there's not a Gander closer than 1-1/2 hrs away from me.

I wish I could have been better help, but I saw your thread just sitting there gettin' no bites like a bobber at high noon in July. How nice of a buy? :cool:

jng2985 05-28-2009 02:01 AM

lol ****ty distance although comparing basspro to cabelas is like target and walmart.

$50 off the scope. so $120 from $170. buddy of mine thought he would like it and then decided after he got home took and it out the box that he is not a fan of the eye relief. never even mounted it and its either I buy it or he takes it back.

stalkingbear 05-28-2009 02:45 AM

You need to jump on that deal. I have several Nikons, and a few Prostaffs, even a couple with BDC reticle. So far I've not had a single failure of any kind. I consider them to be every bit as good as a Leupold Rifleman-if not a bit better (not to be confused with vari-x 2 or above).

jng2985 05-28-2009 04:19 AM

my only concern with the Prostaff's "I have READ" that when sighting them in sometimes you have to over turn then turn a click or so back to get the cross hair where it needs to be..

have you experienced any of that stalkingbear?

JoshRushing 05-28-2009 05:08 AM

For what its worth I have and like it...

stalkingbear 05-28-2009 12:58 PM

I've had no problem with the tracking/adjustments on the scopes that I have. I'm not saying it can't happen-just that it hasn't with me. I DO tap the scope on the adjustment bell after adjusting (myth?)-perhaps this is the reason I havn't had to go past, then retract.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jng2985 (Post 110087)
my only concern with the Prostaff's "I have READ" that when sighting them in sometimes you have to over turn then turn a click or so back to get the cross hair where it needs to be..

have you experienced any of that stalkingbear?

jng2985 05-28-2009 03:24 PM

Then I guess i will pick it up, I have a hog hunt coming up next weekend so I will be sighting it in then. sooo we will see.