Oklahoma Pig Hunt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Oklahoma Pig Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Oklahoma Pig Hunt

I recently signed my dad and I up for four day pig hunt at a ranch in Oklahoma. I'm a rookie to pig hunting in general, and not sure of the size of pigs in Oklahoma. I'm curious what caliber is most popular on this type of game? I've used my .243 on everything from coyotes to deer, but wasn't sure if this would be enough for a pig. Any thoughts?

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

That .243 will work fine, the key will be shot placement, behind the ear and to the spine, for a quick kill and bringdown.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

I don't guess Okie pigs are any bigger then Texas or Florida pigs. As far as caliber, I've seen just about everything. My bros hunt em with tactical 223s, I've used rifled 20ga HP sabot--which is almost too much bullet as it rips em up. You should be fine with 243.

A friend of mine's kid killed a 100-pounder with a .22LR headshot.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input. I knew shot placement was a little different on these, especially the big ones with their armor. The .22 headshot is hilarious. When I was little, maybe 8 or 9, a doe came up in to our backyard to eat our saplings. So I stepped out on the deck with my crack-barrel RWS pellet gun and shot it just beind the front leg. I was little but I knew it probably wouldn't penetrate far enough to hurt it...it wandered about forty yards and fell over. I was so scared to tell my dad, I thought was was going to kill me.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A friend of mine down in Lawton hunts pigs weekly. He uses everything from a .223 to a 300 Rem mag. Heck i just bought an SKS for deer and hog hunting.