Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   offseason projects? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/offseason-projects-78138/)

savageman97 12-10-2012 04:08 AM

offseason projects?

im an avid hunter and i get pretty stir crazy in the off season! So i was wondering if any of u gys have any diy gear that could become my new projects?

Marlinman 12-10-2012 04:18 AM

I build tree stands for my friends. I also set up bow shoots for my friends......kinda like the realtree guys do in their movies. Rifle shootin contests w 22s amd such work well too.

cottontop 12-10-2012 01:06 PM

I reload and try to always improve my loads. Hey, wait a minute, I do that in the "on" season too.
cottontop

savageman97 12-11-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1046410)
I reload and try to always improve my loads. Hey, wait a minute, I do that in the "on" season too.
cottontop

I used to reload all the time with my grandfather but i havent reloaded since he passed

lbwar15 12-11-2012 07:49 AM

We try to keep summer plots at or camp. And fishing helps occupy the time.

John_Deer 12-11-2012 10:07 AM

If I was missing hunting very badly I would go to state that still has an open season. Here in NC the season is open until Jan 1. States further south have seasons that last into Feb. I am done hunting here in NC.

I feed deer year round as long as corn prices remain low. I am sure they will come up with something else to feed deer if corn gets to expensive. We are already seeing peanuts in feed and hardware stores.

WebleyFosbery38 12-11-2012 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
180+ years old, 3500 Square feet, Nuff said...

lucznik 12-12-2012 09:33 PM

Depends. Some of the "off season" offers good waterfowl and/or small game hunting and I like to capitalize on as much of that as I can.

I, like others, like to play with new loads. This year I've got a new .44 Mag revolver for which I need to try to make something special and my loads for my 7-08 Rem and .243 Win both need some tweaking as I'm sure there's a little more accuracy to be found with both of those rifles.

In the dead of winter when it's just too cold to be outside I like to sew up new leather bags and quivers or fletch up batches of arrows for my longbow. I made a full-size leather lumbar pack complete with lap belt and shoulder harness last year that turned out really nice and I never tire of adding new arrows to the collection. Last year I also made up a set with green shafts and green and orange shield-cut feathers that matches a green w/rust-lined wool cloak that I use for SCA purposes.

Catfish 12-13-2012 10:29 PM

I didn`t know there was an off season. :rolleyes: I start early summer with groundhog and squirrel season comes in before them go in their hole to stay. Befor that`s over there is deer season and after that there is always coyote. What off season.:confused:

Rick1967 12-13-2012 10:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the DIY thing I have been doing. Hand made all the cabinets and put down the 18 inch porcelin tile. That 18 inch tile is much harder work than I ever thought it would be.