Odd Nitpicks
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Odd Nitpicks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Odd Nitpicks

Does anyone have what others might consider odd nit picks about handling game, or hunting practices, or anything hunting related.

For example, I never did like those pictures of guys with their deer or bear hung up by the neck on a gambrel, and wouldn't have my picture taken with my game that way. I don't think they are wrong or bad people or anything, it just looks to me like a hanging, and to me seems almost disrespectful to the animal. I prefer if it's hung up by the back legs or a ground shot (for pictures).

This isn't a judgement on anyone, just a personal preference. Anyone else have any weird sort of nitpicky preferences?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2011, 02:25 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My great grandfather used to level the wooden floor (yes, he insisted on a floor) of his duck blinds with a saucer full of coffee.

Does that count?

Be Well.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6834 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlayli View Post
Does anyone have what others might consider odd nit picks about handling game, or hunting practices, or anything hunting related.

For example, I never did like those pictures of guys with their deer or bear hung up by the neck on a gambrel, and wouldn't have my picture taken with my game that way. I don't think they are wrong or bad people or anything, it just looks to me like a hanging, and to me seems almost disrespectful to the animal. I prefer if it's hung up by the back legs or a ground shot (for pictures).

This isn't a judgement on anyone, just a personal preference. Anyone else have any weird sort of nitpicky preferences?
people that only harvest the backstrap and horns off their kills...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
...or *breast* their pheasants, ducks or geese

Be Well.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66 View Post
...or *breast* their pheasants, ducks or geese
Yeah, that bothers me as well! Pheasant is way better with the skin left on and really not that difficult to pluck. Of course I also tie my own fishing flies so I am careful with the feathers as well.

To OP, while not hunting related, my Grandma used to spit on her fishing bait, lure or whatever was on her line before casting. She caught a lot of fish, so I still do the same thing

Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #6

Liked 783 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Guys that wear orange plastic in the woods. You can hear them 100 yards away! I was set up on the edge of an old apple orchard in the middle of no where. This guy comes walking by and right through the middle of the orchard covered from head to toe in orange plastic. Sounded like a little kid in snow pants. Ruined my day. I thanked him in a not so polite fashion. When I got to my truck, he was parked against my rear bumper. No etiquette.
Being shot at really sucks also. The orange hat, orange wool vest and the orange fanny pack did not make me visible enough.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #7

Liked 187 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I don't like going hunting with guys that buy a bunch of fancy crap just to go hunting, also I don't like going hunting with my girlfriend (long story short the first time hunting ended with a trip to the hospital and a police report...)

Also I don't like those guys that get over excited after killing something, ya you can be excited but you killed a deer we didn't win the super bowl.

but as far as odd, I always have to have a map of where I'm hunting and always have to know what is around the surrounding area for two reasons safety and if a SHTF should occur while I'm hunting I always have a plan for getting the hell out of there

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 10-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #8

Liked 231 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yeah I have kind of stopped watching most hunting shows because they are nothing but trophy hunters with all their terms like "big nine""drop tine""crab claw"and"200 points",I see a bunch of idiots on tv that can't even shoot a deer without shaking and immediatly run up to it and start saying what the score of it's antlers are with no care for the entire animal.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #9

Liked 231 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I don't like going hunting with guys that buy a bunch of fancy crap just to go hunting, also I don't like going hunting with my girlfriend (long story short the first time hunting ended with a trip to the hospital and a police report...)

Also I don't like those guys that get over excited after killing something, ya you can be excited but you killed a deer we didn't win the super bowl.

but as far as odd, I always have to have a map of where I'm hunting and always have to know what is around the surrounding area for two reasons safety and if a SHTF should occur while I'm hunting I always have a plan for getting the hell out of there
I know what you mean,I have friends and family that have spent $thousands$ on hunting clothing to use it one day a year.What I do is just buy an orange vest that can be worn on anything and orange hat,and wear whatever I want,I have several old winter coats and gloves that do just fine.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #10

Liked 187 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

it's happened a few times I go to take someone that's new to hunting and when I go to pick them up they have way more stuff then they need, I don't know how other people hunt but you don't really need 50 pounds of stuff to hunt from a tree stand or a blind. Granted there are some things that are nice to have like insulated boots but no one needs a boom box with a cd loaded with calls, honestly that's what I'm there for, mostly it's just annoying.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Newest Threads