Not fit for consumption - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Not fit for consumption

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I kill squirrels because they are pests but I don't eat them same with crows and raccoons

Old 05-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #22

Liked 244 Times on 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootitout
I kill squirrels because they are pests but I don't eat them same with crows and raccoons
I got large population of squirrels in my yard, don't recon they ever caused a problem other than steeling some bird food but hey everything's got to eat.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Quote:
Prairie Dogs were considered a fine meat by early hunters
Durango- I use a .220 Swift. Unless there is an air filter downwind, there would be nothing TO cook.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #24

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootitout View Post
Crows are carrion birds, like vultures, and I would not eat them either.

But raccoons and squirrels are really good meat.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2985 Times on 1556 Posts
Likes Given: 277

If you look at nature; Predators do not eat other predators. They will kill them because they are competition for food, but won't eat them. Bears are omnivors. They eat meat when available, berries, roots and termites when not.

I do not hunt anymore, but when I did I ate what I killed.

Vermin and pests are killed to protect other things like crops or livestock. Coyotes are culled whenever possible, on duty or not. Hogs are probably the biggest pest problem in the country right now.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #26

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I would like to go to Louisiana and go shoot nutria rats simply for sport. Saw a show with that SEAL that lost his whole squad hunting nutria. It was just non-stop blasting away from an air boat. Nutria are destroying the marshes there, along with hogs, I would mind blasting them for sport. Plus, Louisiana will give you a $5 bounty for every rat tail you bring them.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #27

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

when it comes to snakes yep there pest around here but on the other hand some are pretty tasty and there skin looks pretty cool on my bow limbs

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #28

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

C3 good man. I use 2 .220 Swifts. I have 4 sections of public land which is a P'Dog town. One Swift is never enough.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #29

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

RoboCop I don't know who bounced you on their knee and told you those fairy tales. Hell man a wolve will eat another wolf while the other one is still alive. Coyotes will eat anything bar none. Eagles eat any critter they can catch meat eater or vegan. A Rattle Snake will eat anything he can swallow. The Coyote populations drop in any area when wolves move in to an area. The wolve eats Coyotes. Coyotes eat dogs and Badgers and house cats. A Grizz will not pass on any critter from fish to Lions. The Mtn. Lion Oh Hell you get the idea.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And a serious response- some animals are fur bearers. They are not taken for meat, but for fur. Some animals (rabbit and squirrel notably) can go both ways, but animals such as muskrat and mink would taste really, REALLY bad. Fox likewise. I leave skunks alone. Would not eat armadillo, nor handle a carcass. I have this thing about Hansen's Disease.......
Musk rat is good eating.

I have heard tell Mountain lion is damn tasty as well. Never had the opportunity to eat lion tho....

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!