Northwest Hunting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Northwest Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Northwest Hunting

Hey! Me and some buddies wanted to travel to the northwest for hunting. Either Washington, Oregon, or Idaho. For a first timer to the great pacific northwest, which state would someone suggest for us? I'm not picky on the game either Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Howdy JPlumFun I wouldn't recommend Washington state if you are a nonresident. The state game department got ahold of some bad wackey tabacie and figured nonresidents need to pay $794 for a deer, elk ,bear, cougar combo license, $674. for a deer/ elk combo license, $554. for deer/bear/cougar combo license, or if you just want to hunt deer it is $434 and just elk $434 also.
Washington state is not (just my opinion) a premier elk / deer destination and I think they charge out of state hunters way to much. East side of the mountains is more open country and has a lot of public hunting ground. Be prepared for all kind of weather if you hunt the east side. The west side of the mountains can get a lot of rain and is very thick vegetation. Not trying to dissuade you hunting in Washington state just letting you know what to expect.
If you need more info I will be glad to help. MC

Last edited by Montanacowboy; 01-17-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

I used to live in WA and quit hunting elk there because it got too insane and dangerous on public land. The last elk hunt I went on was a nightmare and I was lucky to get out alive. The previous year I had a cow tag and filled it. Another "hunter" shot it at the same time but there was no arguement because he did not have a cow tag. Interesting part was the bullet holes were only 3" appart. He was better than the one who shot his own horse the next year.
Private land with an outfitter might be OK but it will be expensive.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice Montanacowboy, WA seems like they don't appreciate the hunters huh? Thanks for giving me the prices it definitely helps make my decision final. See you around.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Your welcome JP. I feel that a lot of states have raised the nonresident license way to high. Given the cost of gas + tags and it is easy to spend $1000, on just those two items alone. Don't see it getting any better though. Hate to say it but it is becoming a rich mans sport. Good luck where ever you go to. I have had very good hunting in Montana and Ohio. Montana has raised their license this year but I haven't been on line yet to see how much they have gone up. MC

Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #6

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanacowboy View Post
Howdy JPlumFun I wouldn't recommend Washington state if you are a nonresident. The state game department got ahold of some bad wackey tabacie and figured nonresidents need to pay $794 for a deer, elk ,bear, cougar combo license, $674. for a deer/ elk combo license, $554. for deer/bear/cougar combo license, or if you just want to hunt deer it is $434 and just elk $434 also.
Washington state is not (just my opinion) a premier elk / deer destination and I think they charge out of state hunters way to much. East side of the mountains is more open country and has a lot of public hunting ground. Be prepared for all kind of weather if you hunt the east side. The west side of the mountains can get a lot of rain and is very thick vegetation. Not trying to dissuade you hunting in Washington state just letting you know what to expect.
If you need more info I will be glad to help. MC
For those sort of prices you can fly to the UK and shoot red deer.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nevada has some good hunting and I believe their non resident charges are very low.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Montana charged us $1200 for a bull elk and a mule deer buck tag combo, but it of course included upland hunting and I think fishing.
Too much!!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Silvertip, I just took a quick look on line and I see that a nonresident deer combination license went up to $542. from $348 which is what I paid this past year for a deer tag. $ 194.00 increase. I think the Washington state game department sent the Montana game department some of the stuff they have been smoking. A quick calculation shows the nonresident Montana hunter is paying 30 times what a resident hunter does. I'm going to ask Washington state game department to send me some of that stuff they are smoking ! MC

Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well, Montanacowboy, I can assure you that I won't pay that much again. At my age I can't handle the rough terrain and I may limit my hunting to Georgia whitetails. It's a helluva lot warmer here and when I turned 65 all my licenses are free. Fried cubed whitetail steaks probably taste just as good as Montana elk or mulie.
I may change my mind, though, at some point and try a southwest hunt before I get too dilapidated to handle it.