Nikon ProStaff vs Buckmaster - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Nikon ProStaff vs Buckmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 824 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 918

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure you and I are not interested in the same kind of hunting. To each their own. I'm into putting meat in my freezer. Which I do with amazing regularity using what you would term sub par equipment. I'll go ahead and enjoy the great outdoors, while you solve integrated calculus problems.

:
Seriously??? I'm an instinct shooter. Still hunt with open sights. You would feel no responsibility if the young man spends hard earned $$ and hates the round, rifle, hunting. I'm older and lazy, I prefer bird hunting these days. But I can't just stand by and watch someone that may love the sport w/ the right hands on training make a disition that effect the outcome. My Dad was not a Hunter. WWII vet that owned guns, but did not hunt. I learned starting w/ BB guns to 12ga that would rattle your fillings. If your in the "Great White North" you and I have stomped similar ground. Beauty ehhh!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #12

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Bullet weight and the type of scope really don't matter to me. I seldom leave home before the school bus runs, unless I am going to the waffle house. Since we use beagles to drive deer, I have no worry about them running into the next county I haven't taken a shot over 50 yards in years. I let so many deer walk it is not even funny.

There is an old saying that is very true, 10% of hunters kill 90% of the deer. The same thing holds true to fishing.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:35 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For the record, yes I am new to the sport. I took my first deer last year with an heirloom rifle. I am on a budget and am going to college this year. I am actually splurging by buying a Tikka instead of a cheap rifle. I can't afford a $500 dollar scope. I'm asking if the difference in price of the two scopes listed in the title is worth it because of the fact that they are in my budget.

If trouble comes when you least expect it, then maybe the thing to do is always expect it. - Cormac McCarthy

Last edited by TheWhiteDeath57; 08-15-2014 at 01:39 AM.
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #14

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Both scopes are well recommended. Lots of people use much worse scopes to take a limit of deer every year and use two bonus tags (8 deer in NC). It has already been stated what the differences are in the two scopes.

I have a 30/06 BAR that I have had for over thirty years. I have never put a scope on that rifle and as long as I can see the sights I never will. I have a BSA scope on my shotgun that gives me very little grief. I adjust the scope and it doesn't drift, that is all I ask for in a scope.

Obviously either of the Nikon scopes are going to meet your needs. Get the scope that you can afford. Younger shooters or inexperienced shooters don't realize that the glass on a Simmons Masterpiece scope is better than the glass on any hunting scope 25 years ago. Yet people took grand slams of several species of game around the world with those sub par scopes.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #15

Liked 1178 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

Depending on what model your also paying for side focus . To me the side focus is worth any extra money

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #16

Liked 1803 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Seriously??? I'm an instinct shooter. Still hunt with open sights. You would feel no responsibility if the young man spends hard earned $$ and hates the round, rifle, hunting. I'm older and lazy, I prefer bird hunting these days. But I can't just stand by and watch someone that may love the sport w/ the right hands on training make a disition that effect the outcome. My Dad was not a Hunter. WWII vet that owned guns, but did not hunt. I learned starting w/ BB guns to 12ga that would rattle your fillings. If your in the "Great White North" you and I have stomped similar ground. Beauty ehhh!
Mine was a Daisey Pump (the old single pump) my friends and I shot so much that we could shoot pigeons on the wing with the BB guns. My tooth-rattling, shoulder bustin, .12 gauge that still hangs on my wall is a Winchester Model 37, full choke. It really taught me to make my shots, because it hurt too much to miss. I used the Winchester to shoot squirrels for a wheelchair bound WWII vet who loved the critters. He would by the shells, so I was happy to bring him the squirrels.

Carl Sagan

Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #17

Liked 189 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 119

OP, the Buckmaster will serve you for the rest of your life. I don't know about the ProStaff as I don't own one, but I hear good things about them---they are a Nikon afterall.

I own one of the old Buckmaster's without any bullet drops, and it's served me very well on top of my 8yr old Mossberg ATR100 30-06. I call her "MULE", cause that Beech kicks like one. I'd get endorsements from all the deer I killed with it, but they're, you know, ah-------DEAD.

Let your buddies at the camp site laugh at what ya brung. Just make sure you're the one going home with the prize.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #18

Liked 1054 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 926

If you are on a budget the prostaff will be fine. Out of 30+ scopes on my rifles so far a Leupold 1.5x4 is the most expensive scope I own. I have 4 prostaffs and they will kill all the deer you will ever want to kill.

Nikon ProStaff vs Buckmaster - Hunting Forum

Old 08-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #19

Liked 824 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 918

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteDeath57 View Post
For the record, yes I am new to the sport. I took my first deer last year with an heirloom rifle. I am on a budget and am going to college this year. I am actually splurging by buying a Tikka instead of a cheap rifle. I can't afford a $500 dollar scope. I'm asking if the difference in price of the two scopes listed in the title is worth it because of the fact that they are in my budget.
My apologize, I keep going back to your earlier posts about caliber. If you want to harvest pelts, you may find that shooting the same weight bullet for both animals has advantages. You will not get near the expansion from a heavier bullet on vermin, but they will do the job. For scopes, depending on terrain sometimes a "less" expensive scope just does not cut it. I'm not saying that either Nikon s@cks. You are however going to shoot a "wiley" game that will move in and out of cover frequently. It does not matter the size of the front objective, less expensive scopes do have issues when going from fairly lit, to barely lit areas. Can you even see the reticule? 3-9x? is a basic hunting scope, nothing wrong at all, if it is light out. Get into woods, with a heavy canopy, it can get tricky. You can see the animal, but not the reticule. I would suggest getting some calls, and see what shows up. If you are hunting corn fields, recently cut and there is still a decent population on Rabbits, you will be fine in early morning, or early evening, but yotes tend to move later in the day up here. Drive around here at 4am any time of year, they are everywhere, 6am, not a single one