Nikon Coyote Special Scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Nikon Coyote Special Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Default Nikon Coyote Special Scope

Wanted to ask if anyone has used the Nikon Coyote Special Scope Camo 3x9 With BDC Reticle in the field on varmints and coyotes? I have one on my Savage Predator Rifle. I sighted it in at 100 yards but do not know whether I can get use to that particular reticle. Not use to putting a circle on the target. So asking if anyone has used one how it was. Guess I have been using the traditional cross hairs too long! Please advise if it has worked well for you. Here is some pics of the scope and reticle. Hope I can get use to it!

Thanks 03

bdc_predator_reticle.png   nikon-coyote-reticle.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

I have not used the Coyote special, but have a Prostaff with BDC, that also has BDC rings. I have taken it to the range and put a few loads through my AR with it at ranges from 100 to 300 yds and recorded my hold overs for certain loads. A 68 gr Black hills load was on at 100 with the cross hair, on again a the top intersection of the next ring and on again at 300 at the top intersection of the second ring.

Nikon has a program on their website that lets you put in what scope you are using, and the load and it will tell you where your hold-overs should be. It's actually kind of nice, then you can print out a little range card for that load to tape to your stock as a reminder.

Took some getting used to and thinking at first, but it's actually a pretty nice feature.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

The Program is called "Spot On" and is available on their website.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Most BDC reticles are just a sales gimmick. If you want to waste a crap load of ammo checking the reticle to your ammo,they do work. I tried a Nikon Monach with a BDC reticle on my Ruger #1 300WM many years ago,and found it more of a pain in the a$$ than anything.
I'd rather range a target/game,and turn the turrets.I know that I'm dead on that way.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have the NIKON buckmaster with the BDC reticle and love it. Use their "spot on" program and you will actually be spot on. When I was shooting more I could get to 600 yards with it pretty consistently on a plate (sucks how that's a perishable skill, wish it was like riding a bike). There are better scopes, but you will drop a pretty penny. Look at vortex too.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I have not used the Nikon but have used circle or peep reticles. They are very fast for target acquisition. Great in a situation where you need to shoot fast like coyote or pig hunting.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have not used the Nikon but have used circle or peep reticles. They are very fast for target acquisition. Great in a situation where you need to shoot fast like coyote or pig hunting.
How about accuracy? I've looked through circle reticles, but never shot with one. I've imagined the circles would make it hard to keep tight groups.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Thanks to all for the information. I suppose it would be like when we shot competition with our NM military rifles. I guess after thinking about it! It is amazing how the eye can exactly place the front sight post on them half way up and in the middle of the round rear sight aperture!
It is definitely going to take some getting use to after all these years using a crosshair of various types when using a scope! Whether Std. Crosshair, Duplex or Long Range Mil-Dot.
Thanks again. If anyone has ever Coyote hunted with one please comment! I can see where the circle could possibly and readily acquire a target on the move. I will have to experiment!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy