Nikki's Second Squirrel of the Season
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Nikki's Second Squirrel of the Season

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Nikki's Second Squirrel of the Season

Hello,

Tonight nuts were falling from the trees.

I mentioned to Nikki that we might go see what was out there.

While I was standing underneath the tree with the most nuts falling from it (a big ol' shagbark hickory covered in poison ivy) trying to spot what was cutting nuts, Nikki was looking further off. Actually she was sniffing dear poop and looking further off. They both seemed to interest her.

A tree in the direction started really rustling. I brought the rifle up in a standing hasty Hasty sling position, which I was taught at the CMP course known as Appleseed, where I scored Rifleman about a year ago on my second target, IIRC. I practice a lot.

The tree, about 50yds distant, rustled again. Seeing nothing immediately available on which to brace myself - save for the poison ivy covered hickory, which I briefly considered and dismissed as not quite worth it - I pulled the rifle tight, put the trigger on the set position (12oz or so vs 5lbs) and waited.

I saw a head peek out, then a whole body was balanced precariously on a slim limb to make a jump to the next tree.

My rifle cracked of its own accord right before the squirrel made the jump, and it fell.

Nikki and I went out to find the squirrel. It wasn't where I thought it was, and Nikki seemed a bit confused. She wanted to wander into the area where we usually hunt. I think she thought I wanted her to find squirrels there.

We hiked back to the house, and I unloaded the rifle and put it down. It's still somewhat heavy, though the bipod and sunshade come of for hunting unless I intend to set up in a field. I then ranged the distance again, and realized we had not gone far enough.

We went back out again to find the squirrel, this time angling in a bit of a different direction and going further.

I told her to find the squirrel... and she ranged out about 15yds further than I was and picked it up.

Now I got to witness her squeeeeze it. As others have told me she would, she learned from the last time when the squirrel "came back to life" and bit her. She made sure it was dead, but didn't seem to damage it at all - and I've seen her bite. A dog's bite is strong anyway, but the first and only time I gave her a rawhide bone - one of those huge, long and thick ones - she gratefully took it and bit it in half with one chomp, then proceeded to eat the entire thing. She could have done much worse to the squirrel.

There was, however, no need for the squeeze on that one. The shot was perfectly through the head, and the distance ranged to a bit over 50 yards, not including the 30 degrees upward I was shooting, so it was a bit lower than I like, but still acceptable to me for 50 yard standing.

One of several attempts to get a good picture of Nikki. (Notice her darker winter coat coming in - that's the Husky and wolf).

Though it's a smallish squirrel, it's still a squirrel, and should be more flavorful and tender than the big ones I'm used to shooting.

I of course skinned it out and let Nikki have the entrails, as I always do. (According to the vet, this does not hurt her as she's wormed well and anything that could be caught from a squirrel, she's immunized against).

As for the other squirrel I was trying to glass earlier? It was still dropping twigs and nuts:

Nikki wants that other one in a bad way.

We did try to go after that second one for another hour, but it's gotta be a second or third year squirrel that's learned to avoid being seen. We'll get it, but probably not before the leaves fall. Right now, it's still like twilight even when stepping into those woods at high noon.

Score two for Nikki this season, so far.

Josh

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #2

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Cool right up. Made me smile.
And where did you get the rubber shake stoppers for the barrel?

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #3

Hello,

The big one is a Limbsaver, purchased at the local gun store.

The other two are two groups of three rubber "o" rings, each. A couple pennies at the hardware store.

With the floated barrel, it mostly just stops the random flier.

Josh

Old 09-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Screw the squirrel reports, let's see a write up about the rifle.

Southpaw configuration, looks like a custom stock and possibly a full blown build? More info man.....

Old 09-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #5

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Screw the squirrel reports,

....... and possibly a full blown build? More info man.....

That thing does look a little left handed with a custom grip.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #6

Hello,

It came looking pretty much like that from the factory. It's a Savage BTVS.

Here are my mods:

20 MOA 'scope base with Mueller APV 'scope. This lets me hit out to 200yds or so if I want.

Set trigger. Someplace on the web I did a writeup; there will be a video as well. IIRC I have it at 5lbs primary with a 12oz set. It came with an Accutrigger able to be set from (IIRC) 2.5lbs to 8lbs.

Polished internals.

Upgraded extractor function.

Limbsaver deresonator with two groups of three "o" rings each forward.

Shoots semi-custom HP made from CCI 40gn Mini-Mags.

Its "bastard bedded" I call it. The rear of the receiver has a piller; the front doesn't really have enough meat to support a pillar, so it was shimmed with .020" stock. Torque is 50in-lbs rear, 20in-lbs front.

The thumbhole stock came on the rifle.

Eh, what else...

Well, here's a target:

100 yards

The holes labeled "limb" came from shooting a small diameter tree limb down at the 50yd mark. It was in the way.

The cloverleaf was made by the first three shots, and then my last two are always fliers. I do not know why. But it was practice ammo, CCI Blazer, with the bullets modified in the same manner as the Mini-Mags.

The best five shot group with hunting ammo has been 1.01MOA at 100yds; with subsonic target, well under that.

I do not really like talking about my groups other than to find ways to improve them. It's embarrassing kinda', and I only talk about them really with other folks into high precision to get tips and tricks. I only trotted this one out because the target is a mess and is representative of what the rifle is capable of with bulk ammo if a bipod and sunshade are employed.

These are good rifles if you aren't picky. The barrels are made from the same blanks as Anschuntz uses. They have plenty of weaknesses though, and that's why I've done all this work to it - fun though it's been.

I honestly cannot say whether I would buy it if I had to do over, or get a CZ American lefty instead. Getting parts from Savage is like pulling teeth too, since I do not have my gunsmithing license yet (the paperwork is sitting on top of my TV )

I guess, is there anything else you'd like to know, or has that covered it?

Thanks,

Josh

Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Great post!!! Thanks, and keep them coming.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post
.....and I though I was hot **** shooting 1" 50 yard groups with my beatup M69 Romanian trainer with Aguila 38 grain hollowpoint subsonics at 50 yards .......

Nice rifle! Nice shootin!
Ballad of My M69 Romanian Trainer - Family, Friends, Firearms

I no longer have this rifle; the whole bolt assembly eventually went south. However, it was fun while I had it, and these are very capable of target grade accuracy as the bores themselves are near target-grade.

I'd post the Ballad here, but I can't include that many images.

Josh