night shooting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > night shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default night shooting

Can anyone tell me the legality of shooting at night? I live in Indiana and the reason I ask is because last night (actually this morning, 1:30 AM) my dog in the backyard started going nuts. I figured she just saw a deer because she barks at the deer in the field sometimes but the more I listened the more stressed her barking sounded. I got up and took my RIA 1911 and a large spotlight with me cause I thought there might be someone outside. When I came around the corner of the house there was a coyote standing about 60 yards from the house, in the backyard. I guess my dog was defending her 4 week old puppies. I pulled my .45 out of the holster and fired a shot at the coyote to scare him off. I didn't even think about it being night until after I fired. I'm gonna take my AR out tonight and sit behind the barn in the dark with my coyote call and see if I can smoke his azz.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Check your state laws, but there should not be a problem shooting at night or hunting coyotes at night. I don't like to shoot "at" coyotes. They are very smart. If you give them the opportunity to learn that the spotlight brings danger, you may never get another shot at it. IMHO the first shot a coyote hears should be his last.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know they hunt coons, yotes, and in Florida, gators at night. Here in Wisconsin I think the only time you don't want to get caught shooting at night is during the whitetail gun season. It will bring the warden down on you faster than you can say, I was just unloading it and it went off.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Check your state laws, but there should not be a problem shooting at night or hunting coyotes at night. I don't like to shoot "at" coyotes. They are very smart. If you give them the opportunity to learn that the spotlight brings danger, you may never get another shot at it. IMHO the first shot a coyote hears should be his last.
I usually agree but he was about 100 yards out just standing there, I figured he was hungry and thought a puppy would be tasty. I would have shot him but all I had was my pistol and he was beyond it's effective range. Next time I'll go out there with my AR or M44, something with a little more range.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 05-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just thinking out loud here, I guess that if in the situation it had been "legal" to shoot in daylight, the same would apply at night, I mean this was your property,and you thought there was danger for you or dogs...I don't think in this case if it was day or night would have change the legal situation...I don't know if this applies for other situations as hunting for example,i'm not familiar with the rules...it still an interesting point worth checking though...where I'm living now(Argentina) for instance it does make a difference in a case of self defense whetever it's day or night: For instance if at night somebody invades your property unarmed but you make the honest mistake of confusing something the BG might have with him as a weapon,and you shoot at him,the fact that it was obscure gives you leverage for the mistake,it's not the same if it happened in daylight, as a matter of fact in cases like that ,authorities check with the weather service to determine the official time of sundown in cases like that.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #6

Liked 119 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Night shooting

Shooting is limited by your illumination method and if you are hunting from a vehicle (Jack lighting is a poaching method) As a kid my first night shooting was plinking roosted pidgeons out the barn rafters after dark, later on in my teens my family ran coon hounds and we did quite a bit of shooting coon outta trees, we tended not to use scopes (too dark to see through) we used open sights (marlin was best) some pretty accurate shooting can be done if shooting for the reflected eyes, coyotes dont sit well for that its best to use a shotgun if the range is good, why mess around with a yodel dog if its a preditor (spring calving & lambing season) they can really be a problem, we carried .22's when checking cows from a truck and spotlight (this is illeagle to do as a hunting method) try telling a farmer that as his profit margin drops from these pesky critters if a coyote was anywhere near calving grounds they were getting aireated.

I do know that just plane jane sights work just fine with a little side lighting.

Prediters have a different coloration eye relection when useing a flashlight
most herbavores have a greenish tint, coon could be a amber to orange or brite white color, same for coyotes (caution dogs are simmular to coyotes0 so have to watch the critter to determine what it is, mabe neighbors dog on your place.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 05-05-2009 at 12:57 AM.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know about Indiana but in Ky you better not get caught looking at wildlife with a light but even without a gun. It would be best to contact your local game warden & ask him. If the yote is that close, backtrack him to where he'll be coming from in dusk & call him in there.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #8

My only advice would be to make sure and hit it if you shoot at it. If for some reason there happens to be a game warden near by who hears the shot, could be a little difficult to prove you were shooting at a coyote and not a whitetail or the likes. I don't know about Indiana, but game wardens don't look to kindly on poachers here in Florida.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 06-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

As a kid, i went on many "hunts" spotlighting rabbits (never deer). I do not recommend or advocate spotlighting. The game wardens in MS have a serious problem with it. I'm not really sure how the coonhunters get around that, but i'd suppose they notify the game warden of their organized hunts.

Personally, i'm not shooting anything but a shotgun when it is dark; they have a more limited killing range and give me a better chance of hitting the target.

If anybody is reading this & considering spotlighting some rabbits, don't; the only time i ever got "skunked" was when i shot one at 3', thinking it was a rabbit. IIRC, that was my last nighttime hunt.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #10

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

In Indiana there is a hunting season for Coyote, you are not hunting you are removing a threat to your property.
I got this right out of the hunting book.

Spotlights may be used to take fox and coyote. There are no restrictions on hunting
hours or firearms.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-hg_generalinfo.pdf
I did some more reading & found this.
Landowners may take coyotes at any time on
the land they own or provide written permission
for others to take coyotes on their land at any
time, without a permit.
This says that it is ok so if you need any help just give me a PM.

Last edited by 7.62 Man; 06-06-2009 at 01:04 AM.