Night Hunting Varmint Rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Night Hunting Varmint Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

in addition, with you being from pa., you know that our varmint hunting is different from the videos you see. we seem to have more hills, valleys, woods, etc. than you see on the vids, which makes our style of hunting a bit different than what is shown on tv. up here in the northeast region, we also have the strip pits and culm dumps left from the coal industry. therefore most of my night hunting is done under 75 yards.

we usually do have the big fields also, but they usually get a whiff of you 1st and bolt or use the hedge rows to manuever their way up to the calling station and pop out in front of you anyway.

i also just thought about if your looking for a rifle cheap, marlin has that xl7 and stevens has the mdl200 which is basically a savage 110 receiver without an accutrigger. both around $300, accurate, affordable, and priced low enough to "modify" without the guilt.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Thinking what I'll probably do rifle wise is find something like a used Rem Model7and have the barrel chopped and recrowned. Possibly add an ar type flash hider to help cut down blast/preserve night vision.

You're gonna laugh but I haven't found any cordless lights that I like that hold a charge long enough. I like to turn on red spot and scan continuosly. When I see eyes I keep light on them. So what I use is a plug in type spotlight and carry a marine battery in a rucksack. It weighs about 50lbs but has never gone dead even after 4-5 hours of constant scanning. Think I could have got away with a smaller model battery though.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #13

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

This is the cats nuts right here.

LightForce Handheld Lights & Driving Lights

look at All Predator Calls

Old 09-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #14

marine battery? how the hell big are you?

usually i'll just look for shadows and do minimal scanning with the cordless spotlight, then when the eys show up, i go to the gun mounted walmart light. it's really not a bad flashlight though.

i bought a whole bunch of them one night and compared them side by side after dark and found the one i have to be the most effective for my needs. it may be made by Eveready, but i'm not sure.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

6'4 275. A good pack helps.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
6'4 275.
holy sh*t!! you have to hunt at night to help keep the coyotes from seeing you

Old 09-24-2009, 02:13 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

LOL, maybe thats my problem. Havent called any in yet
Like I said before Ive only been out a couple times until last year, when I started in the winter after deer season. Got to go out 8-10 times heard a couple 'yotes never saw any. Called in a few red fox and a bobcat.
But I've been learning from my mistakes.

For instance, my cousin dave and I went out and I thought it would to sit a short distance apart, kinda like turkey hunting with a buddy calling for you.
Seemed like a good idea to me, until I called in a fox and whispered to dave to shoot. I had followed its eyes moving through the woods for about 150yds and brought it out into the middle of a grassy gas well site.

When I told him to shoot he said he couldn't see it! 60 yards away standing in a opening in the knee high grass. He said where is it, I said right in the middle of the light, cant you see its eyes? I swear it stood there for a minute or two with eyes glowing and I could see it blinking. He finally found it and killed it.
Talkin with him afterward he said he never saw its eyes reflecting the spotlight even though to me they looked like flashlights.
Lesson I learned, If you're not close to the source of the light, you wont pick up the shine of its eyes.

Its alot of fun, Im looking forward to get out earlier and more often this year and hopefully learn some more.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
This is the cats nuts right here.

LightForce Handheld Lights & Driving Lights

look at All Predator Calls
Thanks for the links tango.
Ive read lightforce makes great lights. Never seen this model before, looks promising. Little pricy but dont mind paying a little extra for quality equipment.
Any idea on how much burn time you get on a fully charged battery with that kit?
Any idea on how much that battery/setup weighs?
Thanks again for the help

Old 09-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I hunt with an SKS, Its 7.62x39 which is a bit more powerfull then 5.56/.223. The ammo is a tad cheaper also, its not exactly a featherweight, but certain aftermarket stocks are said to weigh much less then the standard wooden stocks. Current modifications only include a aftermarket Butler creek sporter polymer stock, I also swapped out the fixed ten round magazine with a Tapco 20 round polymer mag, which is said to be the most reliable aftermarket detachable magazine... Im planning to buy the tapco t-6 stock for my gun in a few paychecks, along with a choate scope mound and a short scope, the tapco stocks have certain rails similer to Ar-15s for accesories like flashlights for instance which are a vital while night hunting... DUH... Ive downed multiple Coyotes, raccoons, minks and badgers with it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah I've got an ak as well as a m4. PA doesn't allow any semi-auto rifles for hunting. Thats why Im looking for a lite weight bolt. Thanks---Ken