Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   New Model Super Blackhawk (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/new-model-super-blackhawk-74114/)

Rick1967 10-11-2012 03:11 AM

New Model Super Blackhawk

I am planning on elk hunting starting on the 20th of this month. I have a 30-06 Reminigton 770. But I am really a pistol guy. So I found a nice New Model Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. It has adjustable iron sights with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I loaded up some 300 grain XTPs with 18 grains of H110. Wow. Just Wow! Talk about a power house. Now I have been reading that people are shooting that same bullet with 20 grains of H110. My Hodgdon book says 19 is max. Is anyone else using big loads like that. I mean more than the book calls for. My Nosler book shows 20.5 for max. Anyone with experience? The nosler book said the 20.5 was the most accurate load. I can't imagine shooting more than a cylinder or two like that. What do you guys think?

nitestalker 10-11-2012 03:27 AM

I have never used my handgun to hunt elk. I have used it to finish elk, moose bear etc. The standard load of 22/296 and a good 240 grs bullet is very effective with in handgun range. Elk are tough animals that can take a lot of hurt and run 50 miles before the sun comes up again. Good luck.

Rick1967 10-11-2012 03:37 AM

I am more wondering about the higher loads that people are talking about on the internet. I would have writen them up to stupidity if I had not seen it in that Nosler book. I was really suprised at the diference. The ruger is a lot heaver gun than my 629. I shoot maxed out 240 grain stuff out of the 629 all the time. But even with the much heavier gun the 300 grainer is a completely different experience.

nitestalker 10-11-2012 03:54 AM

Yes it is. I shoot a 320 hard cast Linotype BHN 23. They are very accurate. I would do a front shoulder shot with a handgun. The handgun may not deliver a fatal shot into the boiler room. Shooting bears moose elk etc. take out the steering gear first. The handgun can get them on the ground by breaking the front shoulder.;) I asume you will be hunting in "Black" timber to get with in handgun range. As you know finding a wounded elk in timber is a tough job.:)

Rick1967 10-11-2012 04:01 AM

I am carrying my 30-06. But if I end up with a 75 yard shot I will be using the Ruger. The pistol is very acurate. But I dont plan on pushing its limitations.

Axxe55 10-11-2012 04:06 AM

Rick, i would start at a lower level and work upwards. i have seen where two different data books had differing max loads, and i used the lower loads to start with. the Ruger Blackhawk is a pretty stout pistol and may be able to stand more than the max loads listed, but me i tend to err on the side of caution. shoot safe and be careful.

Old_Crow 10-11-2012 04:08 AM

I use my pistols as a back up weapon. The biggest use of my pistols is when I am hunting from a canoe. It's very hard to carry a rifle up a slick bank. And hunting the edges of impenetrable cover. I have seen deer run 50 yards into cover I had to get a brush ax to recover the deer.

Hunting elk I would have to be in a mature forest with no heavy brush nearby to chance a shot with a pistol. I have seen corbon 200 grain factory loads for a 357 knock a hole in a 3/8 mild steel target. I am sure your 44 mag will take an elk. Carefully pick your spot so you can recover that elk you will tell your grandchildren about.

I am not a big reloader but I have seen load tables that were "Ruger Only." Your SB will likely do just fine with the load you are shooting. I have three Ruger SA pistols. All three shoot better with hot loads.

Once you shoot that elk a roll of surveyors tape will be your best friend.

Rick1967 10-11-2012 11:48 PM

I just came back from the range. Finally figured it out. I tried 4 different loads. Two with 6 rounds. Two with 12. All near max. I decided to move up to 50 yards. I had been shooting at 75. Targets at 75 yards with an iron sight pistol are really small. My groups started out all over the place. I would shoot 3 rounds and check my group. Then do it again. The second to the last group of three was terrible. My hands were shaking. I don't normally develope a flinch. But today I did. I finally calmed down and fired my last three rounds. I walked up to the target and wow...all three holes were touching each other. 240 grain XTP with 22.8 grains of H110. According to my Nosler book they should be doing 1412 FPS.

nitestalker 10-12-2012 01:20 AM

The 240 grs. bullet pushed by 22 grs. of 296 is the old stand by load. You are using that load. Win 296 and H110 are the same powder in different cans.:)