New to hunting... What caliber should I buy. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > New to hunting... What caliber should I buy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 534 Times on 286 Posts
Likes Given: 34

30/06 using either 165gn Sierra GameKings,180gn Woodleighs or Barnes and and good bullet placement and there's not much that'l' survive that for what your hunting.

I use a 30/06AI and 165gn Game Kings to great effct on pigs,goats,Fallow Deer,donkeys,horses and wild dogs over here.
I shot this pig last year in the Northern Territory of Australia on a pig,donkey,horse and wild dog cull hunt with my 30/06AI on a M98 action,1 of about 30 pigs we shot in 5 days. The hooks went close to 25" for a pig estimated to be around the 80kg bracket.
dscf0457.jpg   dscf0461.jpg  

Old 06-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #32

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

get a 308 they are cheap and have good stopping power as for a rifle savage makes affordable rifles as well as mossberg and remington.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #33

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjeep94 View Post
Ok so iam new to hunting, and I dont know alot about rifle calibers, (always had handguns) going to ne hunting deer, elk, and occasional javelina in AZ what caliber do I want 300? 30 06? 7mm? Thank you for the help. Suggestions on rifle brands or models would be awesome also. Not looking to break the bank either.
Your odds of getting an Elk tag in AZ are slim so I would get a 25-06 for deer and javelina. If you do get drawn at some point in the future for elk you will have a good foundation of riflemanship to move up to another caliber that is better suited for elk.

Also, take up reloading and you will learn more about your rifle and how bullets perform. The 25-06 is a great round for deer and javelina in AZ. It's also good on coyotes and has minimal recoil so you won't feel like the rifle is beating you to death when you shoot it. If you just want one rifle, and only one, then get a .270 Winchester and be done with it. Lots of elk have fallen to the .270 round over the years.

Me, I like the .257 calibers for their versatility, coyotes on up through deer, and maybe even an AZ black bear, with almost no recoil. I have a larger caliber for elk, moose, bigger bears, buffalo, and other game. I've never been happy with just one rifle and AZ has enough variety of game that you could easily justify a two rifle battery.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #34

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerRN

Your odds of getting an Elk tag in AZ are slim so I would get a 25-06 for deer and javelina. If you do get drawn at some point in the future for elk you will have a good foundation of riflemanship to move up to another caliber that is better suited for elk.

Also, take up reloading and you will learn more about your rifle and how bullets perform. The 25-06 is a great round for deer and javelina in AZ. It's also good on coyotes and has minimal recoil so you won't feel like the rifle is beating you to death when you shoot it. If you just want one rifle, and only one, then get a .270 Winchester and be done with it. Lots of elk have fallen to the .270 round over the years.

Me, I like the .257 calibers for their versatility, coyotes on up through deer, and maybe even an AZ black bear, with almost no recoil. I have a larger caliber for elk, moose, bigger bears, buffalo, and other game. I've never been happy with just one rifle and AZ has enough variety of game that you could easily justify a two rifle battery.
Elk tag for resident is not near as hard as getting a non resident

Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1
30/06 using either 165gn Sierra GameKings,180gn Woodleighs or Barnes and and good bullet placement and there's not much that'l' survive that for what your hunting.

I use a 30/06AI and 165gn Game Kings to great effct on pigs,goats,Fallow Deer,donkeys,horses and wild dogs over here.
I shot this pig last year in the Northern Territory of Australia on a pig,donkey,horse and wild dog cull hunt with my 30/06AI on a M98 action,1 of about 30 pigs we shot in 5 days. The hooks went close to 25" for a pig estimated to be around the 80kg bracket.
Dont shoot my horse i might have to whoop on ya

Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #36

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

I would say go with a .308 because it can and will take down about any game in North America with a pretty light amount of recoil compared to some of the rounds you have listed. This round will take down a deer every time with the right ammunition, so take your time and search around for what works best for your gun. I might not shoot as flat as a .270, which would be my first choice if I were to be shooting long distances, but it will exceed your standards every time for medium range.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybock
i'd go with a simple caliber that's to be had everywhere. The US big 3 are;
30-30, light for elk.
308 winchester, nice all around.
30-06, pretty much all game can be taken with this round, save for thick skinned meanies like cape buffalo.

Go with 30-06 if you can afford the guns that fire it.

If cash if tight, and it always is today, go with a sporty mosin nagant ($120 gun + $70 new stock = $190 fine rifle) in 7.65x54R, which is just fine for everything in the US. Because the mosin, 30-30, 308, and 30-06 bullets all of are the diameter, reloading is very open to you with this cartridge, and practice ammo of the surplus type is dirt cheap.
Big 3 in us today 30/30 ahh im not so sure that the 300 win mag hasnt topped the sales charts over the 30/30. I do love a lever gun tho, but as far as what caliber well thats a personal choice an i stand firm on a 300win or 338 win

Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #38

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Big 3 in us today 30/30 ahh im not so sure that the 300 win mag hasnt topped the sales charts over the 30/30. I do love a lever gun tho, but as far as what caliber well thats a personal choice an i stand firm on a 300win or 338 win
Yeah, I probably wouldn't put the 30/30 in the top three either, maybe the top 5 or 10. Even around here where shots aren't usually taken past 100 to 150 yards it isn't really that popular. 30-06 takes the cake here as well as the .308. However, the 30/30 is still a fine cartridge.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #39

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

@Rockjeep.

Deer and pigs are small thin skinned animals and easy to kill. Tons of them here have been killed through the years with .22's. Do not take that as a recommendation, it is merely an observation. They are small animals and mostly taken at close range.

You mentioned Elk. With Elk, you just moved up into the next level of hunting. Elk will be much larger, good bulls going as much as 1200 pounds in places, 900 for sure in most places. That puts them at three times the size of a good muley buck, and lots tougher.

You have several things going here. Lots of your elk shots will be at long range, 200 yards and more. Shot placement is critical. Your rifle selection needs to be for a choice that will deliver the goods at 300 yards on the big Wapiti. You need to go back and study what the elk hunters have been doing. Go into a store in elk country and look at what shells that they have in the display rack. You are going to find .270, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, and 7mm Mag mostly. The last thing you want to do is to buy some fad gun, and get to where your elk tag is, and find that you cannot go into the local store and buy a box of ammo.

After going through several rifles, I settled on a Remington M700BDLH in .30-06. It is capable of taking anything on this continent. The .30-06 is one of the most versatile calibers, in that you can load it from 110 gr bullets to 220 grain bullets for whatever plinking you choose to do. Also, you dont have to load it to the max to get the job done. There are a wide range of loads that will run from 3000 fps down to under 2000 fps. Hodgdons has a load for Trailboss pistol powder with a 150 gr bullet at under 1500 fps. Shot placement is more important than your caliber, and using the old war horse with light loads to practice, practice, practice, and work up for distance, you cant hardly go wrong.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use and recommend the .270 or the .338 win mag. I am going to use a 500 S&W out of a handi rifle this coming deer season, but I can't recommend that just yet.