New to hunting... What caliber should I buy. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > New to hunting... What caliber should I buy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
Im a fan of having choices, hard to pick just one cal for anything cept Elephant! If your new, try a few, old not new, nothing wrong with a Shotgun or 2 and a few barrels and a 30-30 or 06. Both can be gotten rather inexpensively and then you can broaden your horizons as you wish. For less than $600, you could have 3 nice pieces, you just have to keep your eyes open for real deals, and just like a car, when in doubt, ask a Mechanic (Gunsmith) to check it out. Get the bare bones and you can build on it custom as you wish, thats where the real money comes in and its often money better spent. Buying used optics can be more risky than a used weapon that's been cared for. Just like a used car, you save huge money.

I have never bought a brand new weapon and Ive never lacked for it. Many critters have fallen to my old Ithaca's, Mossberg and Wards Western. My Remingtons have done their share of whacking themselves.

Gun shows are a great way of picking what your looking for, they offer all sorts of options you can dry fit and play with before you decide. Then start the real Hunt for you new (or Used) Hunting Weapon (or Weapons).

Happy hunting!
very well put

Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #22

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Top quality firearms will last a lifetime. When I was a teanager I wonted a 270 Winchester rifle and looked at Remington and Winchester rifles. The Winchester rifles cost more and the better grade Winchester cost about $ 50 more than the standard grade Modle 70. I save money untill I could get a Winchester Mdl 70 but I should have waited untill I saved 50 more dollars. That was back in 1952. That old Winchester has taken mule deer, pronghorn, elk, and some unwonted critters. Save some more money and get a top quality 30-06 rifle and scope site and when you get to 3/4 of a century old you can look at you rifle and kow you did the right thing.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #23

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Caliber, get a 30-06. The saying that you can never go wrong with an '06 is around for a reason. Short of the really big bears, it'll kill anything you put a bullet into the correct place. That's key with any round, bullet placement.
You can get the '06 in any action you want also. Bolt, semi-auto, Remingtons pump and even Brownings lever action.
I love Savage bolt actions, not pretty but great triggers and I've never seen one that wasn't very accurate.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #24

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I've gotten a 30 30 and a 7 mag and that was something im glad I did. but theres nothing wrong with a good ole 06 or 308

Old 06-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for the 30-06 over almost anything else when you consider the cost of ammo, the trajectory and all round ability to be used on pretty much any game you care to mention other than bear (as someone else mentioned). I prefer the 270 since it's that little bit flatter but has much noticeably less recoil so I can shoot it all day long without worrying about flinching. The standard ballistics charts show the 30-06 and 270 are superior to the 308 for trajectory, and very competitive with the ultra-mags and specials but for far less when it comes to ammo cost and availability.

We have a saying in Australia - Savage by name, savage by nature. Regardless of money, I am a huge fan of the CZ / BRNO range of Czech made rifles. They are very affordable, use great Mauser actions, and shoot really well straight out of the box. The USA has much cheaper rifles than Australia, so for the same money you could probably buy a Remington or Winchester which would be a great choice too.

It's all up to you, but for my cash I picked the BRNO rifle chambered in 270 with a beautiful walnut stock, perfectly shaped and placed cheek rest and a thick, factory supplied recoil absorber. Shoots like a dream...

Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #26

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1944

Well, if you're really new to hunting,

I'd be looking for a tough set of comfortable

boots, first. For my money, the standard nylon tac boots,

or army surplus both work really well.

Then you will probably be looking for a good set of

binoculars, Bushnell and Nikon sell good product which

doesn't break the wallet.

But if you want to ignore that advice, be sure to spend up on

good socks, and a really well made, thick sling for that rifle.

This way you can avoid foot blisters, and a sore shoulder,

from a lot of unproductive walking around...

Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #27

06 or. 308are pretty popular; pick your preference, spend more on quality rifle

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 888 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Win. model 70 30.06 brought all these these down!!!

Except one Elk, when I used another rifle (Colt Sauer 300 mag).

hunting-trophys-001.jpg

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #29

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Every caliber everyone has mentioned will be perfect,but my personal taste is the .270win,I have earned so much respect for this caliber over the past few years watching my buddy drop deer after deer in their tracks.150 gr up close 130 further out.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #30

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter
Win. model 70 30.06 brought all these these down!!!

Except one Elk, when I used another rifle (Colt Sauer 300 mag).
Very nice collection