new to hunting...any tips - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

new to hunting...any tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 64 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Be patient, aim high, know what you need to get your target animal.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
Liked 786 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 852

Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
+2! Huh????new to hunting...any tips - Hunting Forum
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Fort Lewis is in Tacoma washington. I grew up 350 miles from there.Your hunting choices are Roosevelt and olympic elk,White tail and mule deer.Bear cougar coyotes and moose.For birds you have duck and geese in many species. Blue grouse ruffle grouse pheasant dove quail sage hen.
There are many mountian streams and lakes for trout and the cost is reright there for Ocean fishing.
Listen to no one who is not from oregon washington Idaho and montana on how to hunt the big game there. The terrain and vegatation are different than colorado utah arizona new mecico etc. There for the hunting techniques are very different.
Do not read out door life or field and stream.They are full of nonsense. Do not listen to some one who went on a guided hunt and is not from where I say. They know less than nothing.
Seek some one from the area born and raised and not in Tacoma itself. The Seatle Tacoma are pretty large and there are smaller outer lying areas where you will hunt any way. You cannot get reliable hunting advice from a city dweller.
Elk are very hard to hunt in the area because of the terrain. Get a forest service map from the forest service and do as much hiking and camping in the surround areas as you can.
You need to know what a elk smells like and how to track and know there habits to be successful.The 308 or 30-06 is your best choise for a all around gun for hunting every thing up there loaded up with 180 grain or larger expanding bullets I like corelockt remingtons.making friends with a logger will almost assure you a education on hunting and where to find them.Loggers like to drink beer and fight a lot so bars in logging communities are a good place to find them.But other samll town locals if you can gain there friend ship will also be a good way to go.
Do not try to hunt with any thing less than a 30 caliber unless its a magnum and not less than a 7 mm mag.If you choose the 7mm mag expect flat shooting very lethal results but extreme blood shot meat.
I killed my first elk at 12 and a lot since that time.Using scents camo and other such silly stuff will get you laughed at.If your gonna try any calling the rut isd over by hunting season so dont be like many ouit of staters out blowing a bugle scaring off game. Get a grunt tube and cow call and learn how to use it.I personaly dont use any kind of call.
If you feel like a littlle travel like about 5 hours ride.
There was a major defeat of the do gooder tree huggers in Idaho and there is a season on the 130 pound arctic grey wolves that have been desimating the elk deer and moose populations and robbing griz of there food sources and now the griz are in peoples yards like balck bears.
Encouarage your friends to go and kill off some wolves to.They are a menace and have become over populated and have killed off the native timber wolves.