Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > new to hunting...any tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new to hunting...any tips

im new to hunting, have been around guns my whole life just never have i gone hunting. Im 23 in the army currently stationed at fort riley but will be going to fort lewis. help wit where and how to go about some hunting trips for deer,elk low land birds and the such would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockkid23 View Post
im new to hunting, have been around guns my whole life just never have i gone hunting. Im 23 in the army currently stationed at fort riley but will be going to fort lewis. help wit where and how to go about some hunting trips for deer,elk low land birds and the such would be greatly appreciated.
First tip, dont use a glock to hunt with......

LOL! Just kiddin, I am going hunting for the first time this year too, just wanted to subscribe to the thread and get some info myself.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockkid23 View Post
I am not sure where Ft. Lewis is, but the first place to check for possible hunting opportunities is on your base. Many military bases offer hunting to both service members and to the public.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Be patient, aim high, know what you need to get your target animal.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #5

Definitely check your base, here in Arizona camp navajo is in some of the best elk hunting in the state. Down south Ft Huachuca has some of the largest couse whitetail deer in the nation and big black bear.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #6

Find someone that is already hunting in the area to use as a sort of a mentor. Talk with them, go over what you will be hunting. Practice with that firearm at a range to get familiar with that firearm. Practice some more! Scout the area to get familiar with the lay of the land. When growing up, we often did alot of small game hunting in new areas so that we could "scout" for big game animals. When you do shoot, make sure when you point the firearm at a target and pull the trigger you intend on killing what you are aiming at. Another way to say that is be sure of your target. Always be aware of what is behind what you are shooting. Remember it only takes one pull of the trigger to kill most things. Be safe! Hunting can be a great activity if done safely.

Mark

MLR Distributing

Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #7

another place you should go see is the local game and fish station. they offer alot of information that can help you alot. find someone who is already hunting in that area and get to know them. also find out what area you are goin to hunt in and see if it is draw only or general. if it is general then you can get a tag anytime but if it is draw only then you most likely missed the draw date and wont be able to hunt there this year unless they have extra tags. do you have a rifle yet or a hunting pistol? make sure they are the correct calibure for what your hunting because you dont want to hunt a elk with a .22lr lol.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #8

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

You could also if you haven't already, take a hunters education course, you can pick some good tips up from these as well, If there is a cabelas near by you, they sometimes have hunting celebrities come in and do seminars and such.

Gersty

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #9

You're at the wrong end of the state or I could help you out. Were me I'd find a little cafe there in Junction City where the local old timers hang out. Betting someone could get you squared away.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default new to hunting ....

First let me thank you for your service !It is young men/ women like you that makes a difference in our lives ....here in America and abroad to others that really goes unappreciated ... again thank you ! If you really want to get into hunting ,I suggest that the first thing you need to do is ...on your off time go down to the local vfw or legion hall ....make some friends ,listen to what older vets tell you ....it will enrich your life and thiers ...and could save your ass when it gets BUSY ! Then talk about hunting ,listen to thier stories ,get feedback .....hang out at the local feed store ....bend a few farmers ears , offer to help out ... during planting /harvesting time ...for free .fix a few fences ,dig a few holes ,work your ass off and hunting opportunities will blossom as friends are made ....