Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   new to hunting...any tips (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/new-hunting-any-tips-45092/)

glockkid23 07-12-2011 09:09 PM

new to hunting...any tips

im new to hunting, have been around guns my whole life just never have i gone hunting. Im 23 in the army currently stationed at fort riley but will be going to fort lewis. help wit where and how to go about some hunting trips for deer,elk low land birds and the such would be greatly appreciated.

cddbrowns 07-12-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockkid23 (Post 539827)
im new to hunting, have been around guns my whole life just never have i gone hunting. Im 23 in the army currently stationed at fort riley but will be going to fort lewis. help wit where and how to go about some hunting trips for deer,elk low land birds and the such would be greatly appreciated.

First tip, dont use a glock to hunt with......

LOL! Just kiddin, I am going hunting for the first time this year too, just wanted to subscribe to the thread and get some info myself.

Gatoragn 07-12-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockkid23 (Post 539827)

I am not sure where Ft. Lewis is, but the first place to check for possible hunting opportunities is on your base. Many military bases offer hunting to both service members and to the public.

Ploofy 07-13-2011 12:10 AM

Be patient, aim high, know what you need to get your target animal.

JRDale 08-15-2011 12:12 PM

Definitely check your base, here in Arizona camp navajo is in some of the best elk hunting in the state. Down south Ft Huachuca has some of the largest couse whitetail deer in the nation and big black bear.

MLRDist 08-15-2011 12:52 PM

Find someone that is already hunting in the area to use as a sort of a mentor. Talk with them, go over what you will be hunting. Practice with that firearm at a range to get familiar with that firearm. Practice some more! Scout the area to get familiar with the lay of the land. When growing up, we often did alot of small game hunting in new areas so that we could "scout" for big game animals. When you do shoot, make sure when you point the firearm at a target and pull the trigger you intend on killing what you are aiming at. Another way to say that is be sure of your target. Always be aware of what is behind what you are shooting. Remember it only takes one pull of the trigger to kill most things. Be safe! Hunting can be a great activity if done safely.

Mark

MLR Distributing

Zannas 08-15-2011 09:50 PM

another place you should go see is the local game and fish station. they offer alot of information that can help you alot. find someone who is already hunting in that area and get to know them. also find out what area you are goin to hunt in and see if it is draw only or general. if it is general then you can get a tag anytime but if it is draw only then you most likely missed the draw date and wont be able to hunt there this year unless they have extra tags. do you have a rifle yet or a hunting pistol? make sure they are the correct calibure for what your hunting because you dont want to hunt a elk with a .22lr lol.

cgersty 08-20-2011 09:20 PM

You could also if you haven't already, take a hunters education course, you can pick some good tips up from these as well, If there is a cabelas near by you, they sometimes have hunting celebrities come in and do seminars and such.

Gersty

quigleysharps4570 08-20-2011 09:56 PM

You're at the wrong end of the state or I could help you out. Were me I'd find a little cafe there in Junction City where the local old timers hang out. Betting someone could get you squared away.

powg 08-24-2011 09:42 PM

new to hunting ....

First let me thank you for your service !It is young men/ women like you that makes a difference in our lives ....here in America and abroad to others that really goes unappreciated ... again thank you ! If you really want to get into hunting ,I suggest that the first thing you need to do is ...on your off time go down to the local vfw or legion hall ....make some friends ,listen to what older vets tell you ....it will enrich your life and thiers ...and could save your ass when it gets BUSY ! Then talk about hunting ,listen to thier stories ,get feedback .....hang out at the local feed store ....bend a few farmers ears , offer to help out ... during planting /harvesting time ...for free .fix a few fences ,dig a few holes ,work your ass off and hunting opportunities will blossom as friends are made ....