New hunter here, just some general conversation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > New hunter here, just some general conversation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New hunter here, just some general conversation

Last year I picked up a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 and began casting bullets and working up loads. Figured when I could keep them in 2-3" at 50 yds I was ready.

I went out at the end of the season last winter with 310gr cast bullets over a full dose of powder, but didn't see anything. I was all at the end of the season, so I'm not surprised. The last time was in a stand from 5:45am - 8:45am at 27* (yes Florida does get cold at times). All of the water around me was frozen.

This year, I hope to have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 to take along, if I can find one. This rifle has much more potential than I need for Florida critters, but I will be able to handload it accordingly. I like the idea of big fat bullets, and less chance of having to track for hours.

I still need to buy my own stand. My 13 yrd old say that he wants to go along, next time, and hopefully often, so perhaps I should get a 2-person stand, even though they are heavy.

One thing that I was wondering about - when it starts pouring rain, how do you protect your firearms.... just cover them with plastic, or what?

I can't wait to get out again, and hopefully bring some meat home.

Randy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #2

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

put it under your jacket. but dont worry water wont hurt it if you clean and oil it when you get home.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Take him with you. He will remember that day the rest of his life.
Would also show him a whole new world and give him something he would pursue for a lifetime.

Start right and stress SAFETY. Both of you will be better for it.

some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple...barry switzer

11B10 '67-'68

Old 08-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
Last year I picked up a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 and began casting bullets and working up loads. Figured when I could keep them in 2-3" at 50 yds I was ready.

I went out at the end of the season last winter with 310gr cast bullets over a full dose of powder, but didn't see anything. I was all at the end of the season, so I'm not surprised. The last time was in a stand from 5:45am - 8:45am at 27* (yes Florida does get cold at times). All of the water around me was frozen.

This year, I hope to have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 to take along, if I can find one. This rifle has much more potential than I need for Florida critters, but I will be able to handload it accordingly. I like the idea of big fat bullets, and less chance of having to track for hours.

I still need to buy my own stand. My 13 yrd old say that he wants to go along, next time, and hopefully often, so perhaps I should get a 2-person stand, even though they are heavy.

One thing that I was wondering about - when it starts pouring rain, how do you protect your firearms.... just cover them with plastic, or what?

I can't wait to get out again, and hopefully bring some meat home.

Randy
Takem with ya man, there are few better bonding experiences. I remember in my teen years, one of the only times I felt that I could learn something from dad or gramps was hunting season. otherwise I pretty much knew it all.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #5

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

i took both my boys with me at age 11. they used a mini-14.

both got their first deer at 11.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

Take the kid out with you but make sure you take along a camera. The look on his face when he drops his first game will give you a picture that money will never be able to buy. I have a whole album of pictures of my kids and grandchildren on their first hunts. Last fall my 12 year-old granddaughters bagged her first pheasant and you would have thought she had won the lottery. This old man would much rather hunt with youngsters just starting out than with anyone else. Us adults have much to teach these kids and should take every opportunity that presents itself to do so.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I cover the muzzle with finger cots (prophylactics for fingers).
You can get a package containing an assortment of sizes at Walmart. You can shoot right through them as the air in the barrel in front of the bullet ruptures them.
A thought about plastic-- I find it very noisy.
Lightly oil the before going into the field and clean and oil after the days exposure as mentioned before

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.