New deer rifle help - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > New deer rifle help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
OK, so I set up at 600 yards. If I don't know the velocity or the correct moa adjustment is it unethical?

So, what is the MOA adjustment on the scope? how many clicks for a 1/4" scope?

Wow, glad I missed this a year ago!

Depends on the game! For Whitetail, a .308 could do it. My 6.5x55 can, my 8x57 can, and my 7mm Rem Mag can. I don't see a reason for a mag at 300 yards. Unless you are hunting the mutant Chuppa whitetail from he!!.

With a 100 yard zero a 130gr Hornady at 2900fps MV drops 12.6" at 300 yards.
So I need to know, where are all these magic .270's? More internet BS.
This is the crap that should be deleted.

This 516 yard shot had a bullet w/ 950fpe and had dropped 55". It is hard to believe. Even w/ a 5mph cross breeze that is 11.6" drift. A slight heavy pull on the trigger, 20+". Lets not forget, that bullet has just enough energy for an ethical whitetail shot. Some times it is just dumb luck or BS.
Just for the record it wasn't BS.. more luck than skill.. my point was that was way too far for the .270, 130 gr. shooting down in a canyon no wind.. it took three shots to zero in.. A shot I wouldn't take, but that's neither here nor there.. I remember why I stopped posting on this Forum Now,, You all have a Great day ...

Old 11-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #62
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I got rid of my 7mm Rem Mag Ruger M77. The gun itself was not a great shooter but I fell in love with the round. It's on my list
i have heard that over the years and others have asked me why i liked the older Ruger M77's. i don't know if i am just lucky, blessed or fortunate to have gotten the right M77's over the years, but all of mine were very accurate for me, when i did my part. i did get rid of one years ago, a M77 in 270 that hit like the Hammer of Thor on the shoulder when you shot it! i have owned them in various calibers and have yet to be disappointed in one i owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I just got a 7mm Remington magnum. I love it but I hear mixed reviews about the cartridge.
the 7mm Rem. Mag is an excellent cartridge. one that i fell in love with years ago. i have had the 7mm Mag in several different rifles over the years and have never been disappointed in it. great cartridge.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman55 View Post
Just for the record it wasn't BS.. more luck than skill.. my point was that was way too far for the .270, 130 gr. shooting down in a canyon no wind.. it took three shots to zero in.. A shot I wouldn't take, but that's neither here nor there.. I remember why I stopped posting on this Forum Now,, You all have a Great day ...
luck should never factor into taking a responsible and ethical shot on any animal. use luck for paper targets, not an animal.

why didn't you say something to the person for taking this shot? you seem to have been a party to it for not doing something about it. IMO, that makes you just as unethical as the person who pulled the trigger.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #64

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
luck should never factor into taking a responsible and ethical shot on any animal. use luck for paper targets, not an animal.

why didn't you say something to the person for taking this shot? you seem to have been a party to it for not doing something about it. IMO, that makes you just as unethical as the person who pulled the trigger.
I did when I got over to him, but it's his choice to shoot or not, I choose not, He took the shot and got his Buck. How dare you to Judge Me. . It must be a good feeling to be so superior over all of us, to always make the right call, never miss or wound an animal, to be right all the time is something I'll never know how that feels.. WOW

Last edited by glockman55; 11-23-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #65

Quote:
I did when I got over to him, but it's his choice to shoot or not, I choose not, He took the shot and got his Buck. End of Story.
then maybe you need to pick a little higher class of people to hunt with and associate with. maybe people that have higher hunting ethics and are more responsible.

and just to point out what to me is obvious, the end doesn't justify the means in this case. it took him three shots and you justify it by saying he got his buck.

Last edited by Axxe55; 11-23-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #66

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
then maybe you need to pick a little higher class of people to hunt with and associate with. maybe people that have higher hunting ethics and are more responsible.

and just to point out what to me is obvious, the end doesn't justify the means in this case. it took him three shots and you justify it by saying he got his buck.
I think you should mind your own business, Your opinion is just that,, I don't give a rats A## about it. I have noticed this on many other post, you take over and drive everyone away..Too bad Moderators allow this..Don't bother to reply, I won't be back,,

Old 11-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #67

Quote:
I think you should mind your own business, Your opinion is just that,, I don't give a rats A## about it. I have noticed this on many other post, you take over and drive everyone away..Too bad Moderators allow this..Don't bother to reply, I won't be back,,
partner, i wasn't the only one to have the opinion that i had of the shot. you participated in a shot that by all means was pretty unethical, and it took your friend three shots to get on target. IIRC, you were spotting for him.

and now your feelings are hurt. if you didn't expect some negative feedback about such a shot, then maybe you shouldn't have posted the story in the first place.

now whether you stay or go is your choice. but most of the members here are ethical and responsible hunters and tend to associate with those of the same character. and we call things the way we see them. that shot should have never been taken in the first place and you should have tried to stop him from taking that shot in the first place as well.

if you feel my posts are out of line, then please report them to the mods and let them settle the issue.

have nice day sir.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #68

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ignore List...love it...

Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #69
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1236 Times on 839 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Really? Can't we all just get along ! Smh

Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #70

Liked 164 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30USMC View Post
Really? Can't we all just get along ! Smh
On the interwebs, bloody unlikely.

I don't like threads like this. I really don't like questions like what the OP put forth. There are plenty of calibers that will ethically kill a deer at 600 yards but so few hunters, humbly, able to do so. I know my rifle(s) well, practice out to 700 yards and know that I could kill a large bull Elk at that range if I had to. But when does it ever become a "had to" situation? For me, this isn't SHTF and I have to feed my young uns.

I prefer to stalk as close as possible to make sure it will be a clean kill. YMMV