New deer rifle help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > New deer rifle help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
I'm a very good shot. If you want to be a douche bag about being unethical don't reply I've never taken a shot at a deer I didn't think I could make that's why I'm wanting to upgrade my gun. the longest shot I'd prob try to take would be 300 yards I was exaggerating on the distance I didn't measure it.
If calling me a douche bag makes you feel better about your lack of hunting skills I am good with that. You said 600 yards, we have no clue of what you are implying. Only unethical hunters take 600 yard shots. You provide more fodder for anti-hunters than a poacher with a spotlight. That is my definition of a douche bag.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

People Like This 
Old 11-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lol ok your right

Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
I'm a very good shot. If you want to be a douche bag about being unethical don't reply I've never taken a shot at a deer I didn't think I could make that's why I'm wanting to upgrade my gun. the longest shot I'd prob try to take would be 300 yards I was exaggerating on the distance I didn't measure it.
realisticly how good a shot are you? how many times have you honestly shot and accurately hit at 600 yards? so in by your own admission you want to upgrade your rifle, to me that says you have probably never realisticly shot at 600 yards. the longest would be 300 yards and you were exaggerating the distance? again that tells me you have probably never shot at 600 yards accurately.

now i am not a douchebag, but i can be an a$$hole! there's no doubt about that. but one thing i can assure you of is this, that i take the rights and freedoms of hunting and gun ownership very seriously. i strive to make sure that hunters and gun owners are potrayed in a positive way. and when someone wants to be unethical or act illegally and they think they represent the vast majority of law abiding gunowners and hunters, IMO they don't. and i for one will speak against them and speak very loudly.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

what was said here is true. 600yds is a long way and should not be attempted half heartedly. 300yds is much more realastic,however even at 300yds you need to be sure you can hit what you aim at. now to the point. if you do practice, or have been and can hit softball size targets then by all means get a new rifle. i would suggest the 7mm mag, the 300winmag, or the 30-06. there are others that would work as well. but these three would be my top choices. again, take into consideration what has been said... PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE before actually trying to take an animal at longer distances.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #15

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

If calling me a douche bag makes you feel better about your lack of hunting skills I am good with that. You said 600 yards, we have no clue of what you are implying. Only unethical hunters take 600 yard shots. You provide more fodder for anti-hunters than a poacher with a spotlight. That is my definition of a douche bag.
I hate to bust your bubble bub but I have taken SEVERAL 600 yard shots. All w 308 or larger. Usually either 7mm rem mag or my warbird. All have been clean kills. Then again I'm shooting premium ammo amd know my guns agter ALOT of practice. OP-if you are gonna realistically shoot 300 yards then get a 7mm mag, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, or any of the short mags. I seriously doubt you can shoot 300 yards though if you don't even know how far that is.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #16

if your only shooting 300yards a .270 drops 6in and I have taken farther shots with my. 270 and the deer always drops without running out of sight but optics are a big part of it... also ammo is the biggest factor if you use an good expanding bullet its dead...

Old 11-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #17

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

270, 308, 30-06, 243 take your pick.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #18

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I hunt some very large crop fields,the 7mm rem mag really works well for me.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #19

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter
I hunt some very large crop fields,the 7mm rem mag really works well for me.
I used one for 4 years almost exclusively. In fact my still hunting rifle is STILL a 7mm rem mag......something bout a deer bouncing away then there's that boom like thunder and said deer gettin knocked flat to the ground or doin flips that just makes it so fun

Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

rifle_015_small_.jpgSwann, this is my Sav, 116, 7 mag. what rifle/cal. are you using now? I have a 7 mm. Mag, and a .270.. I use the .270 most on the time.. I did see my brother shoot a Mule Deer at 516 yds. with a .270, 130 gr. Federal Premium Nosler Ballist Tip.. I ranged it for him. He had a Savage mod. 111.. topped with a LR Leupold , not sure on the exact one. The bullet entered the rib cage and never exited..One hell of a shot. He knew the gun and the scope, and I think he was pushing the limit of this cal. and bullet. Some on here state that they have shot several 600 yds shots and ALWAYS a clean kill shot is hard to swallow, but who am I to Judge..must be in that 1% of Marksman in the world..Good Luck on your choice and don't let a Forum and others opinions discourage you from improving your abilities as a Marksman.