Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   need suggestions... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/need-suggestions-38857/)

Fuzzyinline 02-23-2011 02:58 AM

need suggestions...

As i stated before, i just bought the new savage 111 package deal from Gander Mountain.. an amazing gun so far.. it came with a cheap bushnell scope... and i put a harris bipod on it... however, im about to put a Nikon 4x12x5o scope on it, but not sure what size rings i need... i dont want the scope too far from the gun... but i also dont want the scope to laying on top of the gun, or get in the way of the bolt... i need help... i need your suggestions, or experiences.. and also, one last question... not sure what kind of bases came with this package deal.. but anyone think they might hold up for the nikon? if not, what kind of bases as well...

Troy Michalik 02-23-2011 01:37 PM

Hey Fuzzy,
I'm going to say that your base is probably good. I'd go down to Academy and buy a set of Med. and a set of Tall rings and then take back the ones that don't work. Judging from the pictures of it, I'm pretty sure you'll end up needing the tall rings.

Samples.32 02-23-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzyinline (Post 451539)
As i stated before, i just bought the new savage 111 package deal from Gander Mountain.. an amazing gun so far.. it came with a cheap bushnell scope... and i put a harris bipod on it... however, im about to put a Nikon 4x12x5o scope on it, but not sure what size rings i need... i dont want the scope too far from the gun... but i also dont want the scope to laying on top of the gun, or get in the way of the bolt... i need help... i need your suggestions, or experiences.. and also, one last question... not sure what kind of bases came with this package deal.. but anyone think they might hold up for the nikon? if not, what kind of bases as well...

My advice, don't put a nikon on a savage. Your bases should be fine.

jpattersonnh 02-24-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samples.32 (Post 451916)
My advice, don't put a nikon on a savage. Your bases should be fine.

Why?? My message is too short, so I'll add a line.

Fuzzyinline 02-25-2011 04:41 AM

why not put a nikon on a savage? Ive seen it done... and cant go wrong with Nikon..

skullcrusher 02-25-2011 05:20 AM

I am impressed with the Nikons of the past few years. Sturdy, clear, all proof and priced right for a good scope for plinking and hunting. I'd say go for it and use the rings you have. Most likely, you won't have an issue. If feasable, go with a one piece scope mount. Lots of options out there for those and you can even find them made for bolt guns.

Now, I am gonna ask for pics. Show that beautiful Savage! :D

Samples.32 02-25-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzyinline (Post 452899)
why not put a nikon on a savage? Ive seen it done... and cant go wrong with Nikon..

I love a savage, it is a great gun, but I work with guns, and scopes, and a nikon doesn't live up to a savages true potential. If you are going to use it for nothing but hunting or not 100% accurate plinking, go for it, but really, I would put a Zeiss Victory series on it, or AT LEAST a conquest.

stalkingbear 02-25-2011 05:16 PM

The fact that you're going to use a 50mm (objective lens) scope means that it'll automatically be high enough so that the bolt handle operation won't be interfered with. You'll need tall rings.