Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Need Some HELP! With Squirrels (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/need-some-help-squirrels-105709/)

Sniper03 04-01-2014 06:17 PM

Need Some HELP! With Squirrels
 
Need some help with a problem of Squirrels chewing the H*** out of my new Cuddeback Trail Cameras. Seems they like the plastic! Has anyone else had this problem and what is your recommendation other than wasting hours taking the time to shoot them!
I am in the process of patching the cameras up at the present time.

03

WonderingMind 04-01-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1546303)
Need some help with a problem of Squirrels chewing the H*** out of my new Cuddeback Trail Cameras. Seems they like the plastic! Has anyone else had this problem and what is your recommendation other than wasting hours taking the time to shoot them!
I am in the process of patching the cameras up at the present time.

03

Mix cayenne pepper with some water, put it into a spay bottle and spay your wires down. I have cats who like to chew phone chargers.. They only do it ONCE..

Or you can Squirrel launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-d3rZZ-_M

JTJ 04-01-2014 06:53 PM

Call the company and complain. This is obviously a design flaw. What idiot makes a trail camera that is squirrel bait?

orangello 04-01-2014 08:59 PM

Chicken wire cage around the camo camera?


How do you feel about rat poison & glue as decorative utensils? It would be like a sicko macaroni sculpture.

JW357 04-01-2014 09:46 PM

There is some spray stuff you can buy to deter dogs from chewing. I believe its some flavor of grapefruit or something. If they smell it they tend to not want to eat it.

I wonder if it works on squirrels? Or something similar?

Sniper03 04-01-2014 09:57 PM

Wondering!

Fantastic Video on the Squirrel Launch! Rolling on the floor here!!!!!! :p :D :D
And yes, today I set my cameras back out on the trails. But formulated a concoction of Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper and Red Pepper. Crushed it up to a fine powder, stirred and Boiled it in water on the stove then filtered it through a paper towel. Put it in a spray bottle and doused the tree around the camera and the top and back of the cameras with it. Hopefully it will light their fire if they start chewing on it or climb the tree in the area and lick their feet. Maybe I will get some interesting photos of the response? If I do I will be sure and post them. We will see what happens! Thank all for your ideas!

03

jpattersonnh 04-01-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1546459)
There is some spray stuff you can buy to deter dogs from chewing. I believe its some flavor of grapefruit or something. If they smell it they tend to not want to eat it.

I wonder if it works on squirrels? Or something similar?

You can also use Clove oil. It is a bitter nasty oil. Does not come off easily, but it works. Add a little chili oil and you will not have a problem. You can make chili oil by heating cheap cooking oil and dropping you chili's in it and frying them till they are crisp. Strain and cool.
"Oil of cloves (usually listed as clove oil) is also used as an ingredient in cat deterrent sprays coupled with garlic oil and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and other ingredients."

Sniper03 04-01-2014 10:34 PM

JP,

Thanks for the info! I will surely try that!
Hope all is well! Any new toys lately?

03

jpattersonnh 04-01-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1546488)
JP,

Thanks for the info! I will surely try that!
Hope all is well! Any new toys lately?

03

Na! I still have more then I can use. I am looking at building an AR this summer. Maybe a 10, maybe a 15. Not sure yet.

eatmydust 04-01-2014 11:45 PM

Fox urine & cayenne pepper.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.