Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   need to re-attract deer for upcoming season (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/need-re-attract-deer-upcoming-season-69581/)

Boltguns4life 08-04-2012 06:57 AM

need to re-attract deer for upcoming season

I got some land and last year the deer crop was about 6-7 deer running about .and this year I'm looking to draw the deer In good,the deer bed down in a cluster of trees about 300 yards from our stand and on somebody else's land we hunt against a fence row that's cuts our land in half and the feeder is in a open field about a good 40-50 acres its in the middle with no cover and the deer never come to the feeder while we are there they simply stay on the Far fence row until dark the migrate toward the feeder so I'm looking for any major attractants and salt rocks or something to supplement our corn and when should we start putting out our corn? Season starts in later November and only lasts two weeks so in need of help..

limbkiller 08-04-2012 12:38 PM

Move the feeder into the edge of some cover and pray. Deer learn quick not to go anywhere near a feeder especially in the open. Won't be able to hunt there in the morning at all. Never

ellis36 08-04-2012 01:40 PM

I have three that eat my tomato vines every night that I'll be happy to send you. :)

303tom 08-04-2012 02:11 PM

It is a little late now, but you need to plant what they like to eat, ie Alfalfa & such, but right now all you can do is, put out some deer cane black magic liquid & hope the for best.............Good Luck.......

Tom.

limbkiller 08-04-2012 07:49 PM

You can plow your field and put out winter wheat or oats for the late season ie. mid November on and have some luck.

tri70 08-05-2012 01:16 AM

I use salt blocks and mount peanut butter jars to the trees, screw the lids on and cut the bottom of the jar off. I use buck and doe urine too, save the rutting scent for late October.

powg 08-12-2012 03:36 AM

deer circus

would help if you went more in detail about what are your intended goals are, state where property is located ...acreage ,ponds ,live creeks ,mast trees ...acorns very wooded or open ,local hunting pressure , predators ,poachers etc these variables have an impact on carrying capacity...Im not a biologist by no means but i kill deer every year. Deer need 3 things ,food, water,cover and if big antlers are your goal the last thing is age! dont shoot 1.5 -2.5 yr old buck deer . all of this takes work ,time and some $$ ,formulate a plan that mirrors your goals,talk to the neighbors across the fence and co-operate with each other for a long term partnership . plant food plots spring and fall ,supplement feeders ,minerals after season to help the deer tru winter. we plant iron/clay peas and a wildlife mix , fertilize as needed ....kill all wild hogs ...repeat kill all wild pigs and coyotes ,bobcats ,any predator of deer .shoot only old dry does ,older 3 yr old long horn spike bucks...let 1.5-2.5 yr old bucks walk . good hunting. powg

Boltguns4life 08-12-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powg
would help if you went more in detail about what are your intended goals are, state where property is located ...acreage ,ponds ,live creeks ,mast trees ...acorns very wooded or open ,local hunting pressure , predators ,poachers etc these variables have an impact on carrying capacity...Im not a biologist by no means but i kill deer every year. Deer need 3 things ,food, water,cover and if big antlers are your goal the last thing is age! dont shoot 1.5 -2.5 yr old buck deer . all of this takes work ,time and some $$ ,formulate a plan that mirrors your goals,talk to the neighbors across the fence and co-operate with each other for a long term partnership . plant food plots spring and fall ,supplement feeders ,minerals after season to help the deer tru winter. we plant iron/clay peas and a wildlife mix , fertilize as needed ....kill all wild hogs ...repeat kill all wild pigs and coyotes ,bobcats ,any predator of deer .shoot only old dry does ,older 3 yr old long horn spike bucks...let 1.5-2.5 yr old bucks walk . good hunting. powg

Its 80 acres, broke into 4 sections, three of those are open and they are the north east and west fields the northern ones usually get planted in rye but the southern section is on a road and it has trees although its only about 15-20 acres and has absolutely no deer but the neighbors to the north have trees on the west and east sides of they're field but they do not plant crops or have cattle as we do, their are deer in both of these wooded areas that I have seen.. and we let young bucks walk and never really shoot does no animals have been harvested in this location in upwards of 15-20 years and the people the the west lease to hunters and the people to the north hunt but they hunt on the other side of the trees... this is all in southern Oklahoma about 3 miles off the red river and the only water source is a cattle trough and its the only water source I know of in about a mile to two miles but we aren't able to draw in deer ....

powg 08-13-2012 03:06 AM

deer circus

The lack of water and cover are the enemies here. The deer you got are just passing tru . you could place your feeder(s ) near the edge of cover and put a small fence around it to keep the cows out . the other option is to try to work out a long term lease deal with your neighbor when his hunters lease expires .sorgum doesnt need a lot of water, you could plant a few rows along your cross fence to give you and the deer a little extra cover when they travel . good luck