need instructions - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > need instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1911 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

Cats? Can you get a Crocodile?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8297 Times on 4960 Posts
Likes Given: 10744

If you can, get a dog.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #13

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Other than eating fish why do you want to kill them?

If it is a small pond but a bird net over the top.

Herons are not games animals and should not be killed.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #14

Liked 796 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 244

You could try something that spins and is real shiny.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 759

A former neighbor had a similar problem and ended up putting a net over the pond. His was a small pond. The fish hatcheries use netting over the rearing pens also. Killing them will work only for a little while as more will find the pond. If you still want to kill them safely, you will probably need to build a blind and use a shotgun or possibly a 22 lr. Another option is to use snares. I dont know if they are edible, probably taste fishy.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You don't need to kill them.

First, it would be illegal in most states without a predatory pest type permit and I'm not sure they give those out for Herons. Second, the birds will scare off. A scare crow, or propane cannon, or noise rounds should all work.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #17

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo
You don't need to kill them.

First, it would be illegal in most states without a predatory pest type permit and I'm not sure they give those out for Herons. Second, the birds will scare off. A scare crow, or propane cannon, or noise rounds should all work.
The op is in bosnia so it is legal to kill them. And yes they will scare off but will come back.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #18

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker88
Tnx for all suggestion. since I didn't do the intro (didn't know how), I should have mentioned I am not from USA. I am from a little country in the Balkan called Bosnia. no quality hunting and weapons forums here so I tried this one.
- So that winchester shells mr. Marlinman i cannot find here(think more russian) and I am not a very good shooter so something precise.
- we don't have protected species in my country. Funny but true.
One more thing i am not rich(actually I make ends meet) so think cheep.
- have 2 dogs and they don't wanna go in the water, and a labrador is rare here(and expensive)
- TV is good idea but i don't have camper and house is about 100 meters(330 feet) and the pests at during the day to and as you said they just kill and go to the next fish.

I can use a AK 47 or a PAP 7,62 m59/66 but as I said I am not a good shooter and there are houses and people around me so I could kill someone. Even if I shot it the bullet would probably passed through the heron and with my luck end up killing someone.
It is not mr. It makes me feel really old

Old 12-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker88 View Post
... m59/66 but as I said I am not a good shooter and there are houses and people around me so I could kill someone. Even if I shot it the bullet would probably passed through the heron and with my luck end up killing someone.
M59/66 Grenade launching system information *pics and video*

I doubt you kill anybody with a dummy grenade, but it might be a fun wy to scare the heck out of those birds. The M59/66's available here come with an attached grenade launcher & a gas valve to let you make use of it.

Here is an adapter to launch golf balls. That might be more socially acceptable. http://www.bloomautomatic.com/index.htm $45 You might find something better locally.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-08-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #20

I had a bird net and the ****ers go under the net and kill. and if I put it lover i can't feed the fish because I do it manually from a small boat.
I have used snares and i caught 2 and then they started landing in the pond(it's not very deep 1 m(3 feet; 30 cm on the sides(1 feet)).
I have 2 scarecrows and I made spinners from bottles but they adjust after 2-3 days.
I also have shotgun with 16 gauge(don't know if I said it right and I use those shells because you can buy them anywhere) but it's like throwing hamburgers at them they kinda like it. They scare of easily but they come back.
Since I attend ETF( college equivalent to MIT but only for electrical engineering) I made an electric cable around the pond, but as I said they started landing in the water. and I can't put that in the water.
-sorry Marlinman for calling you MR. dude
-orangelo I was talking about rifle that is made in my country full name PAP 7,62 m59/66("Polu Automatska Puska" translation semi automatic rifle, and 7,62 because the bullet is 7.62x39mm) and i can't get that golf balls grenade launcher in my country.
Ponds dimensions are 100x100 m (330 x 330 feet)
I have tried some more stuff(not the crocodile ), and one more interesting piece of info. Every sunday I have a group of professional hunters come in my forest to hunt(they released pheasant,deers,wild pigs,quail,... and for using my forest I can hunt them to). BUT every sunday the birds disappear from the forest. It's unbelievable. And they can't give their rifles to me, and they get those rifles only after they get licenses from the hunting association.
I caught deer with a modified beer trap and I can't catch few birds. I'm frustrated. I feel like I'm in a "soviet russia" joke.
- In Former Yugoslavian Republic Bosnia birds hunt you.
I know it sounds unbelievable but it's true. that's why I wanted to find some more advices for hunting those vermins.

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!" Clint Smith